Planning to buy Accuphase E-480

I apologise for the digression in advance. I am an Accuphase noob but have heard E-280 and E-480 for extended periods of time.

Can those of you who have experienced Accuphase products comment on the legacy E-206 amp? Does this amp have a sound similar to current E-280 amp? While the reliability of Accuphase is legendary, would you recommend buying a well-maintained E-206?
The E206 is a vintage integrated amplifier from 1989/1990 and it sounds exactly how vintage Amps sounded those days when details transparency accuracy soundstatimg were not the most important of things since technology wasnt as advanced as it is now. It's at best an ok amplifier and it sounds absolutely nothing like a new generation E250 let alone a E280. If you are buying one now be ready for an expensive restoration. My personal opinion.

Last edited:
Some more pics. I am going to put up some more once I have the speakers and phono up too. I am waiting for the furniture. Would it be okay to put the phono on top of the 866?

Attachments

• IMG-5243 copy.jpeg
    IMG-5243 copy.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-5245 copy.jpeg
    IMG-5245 copy.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-5247 copy.jpeg
    IMG-5247 copy.jpeg
    590.3 KB · Views: 124
Finally, I have the 866 and the Spendors running. Coming from the back of playing music through a relatively high end AVR, this is completely a new ball game for me. To say the least, the sound is clear, gratifying and where music comes to you rather than straining to hear the known notes. I am yet to completely set up, with the 508 Phono and my turntable. Also, the roon core on my NAS is not recognising 866 as an endpoint despite being on the same network, so I am playing through the Boulder app and an ethernet connection. I am yet to position these properly, as I am waiting for the furniture to arrive. I am sure the sound could get better, but what's already there is itself elating.

Edit: Managed to start Roon, just had to enable 866 on the Roon app.

Attachments

• IMG-5254 copy.jpeg
    IMG-5254 copy.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Finally, I have the 866 and the Spendors running. Coming from the back of playing music through a relatively high end AVR, this is completely a new ball game for me. To say the least, the sound is clear, gratifying and where music comes to you rather than straining to hear the known notes. I am yet to completely set up, with the 508 Phono and my turntable. Also, the roon core on my NAS is not recognising 866 as an endpoint despite being on the same network, so I am playing through the Boulder app and an ethernet connection. I am yet to position these properly, as I am waiting for the furniture to arrive. I am sure the sound could get better, but what's already there is itself elating.

Edit: Managed to start Roon, just had to enable 866 on the Roon app.
A fantastic, minimalistic setup that makes green with envy. I guess the analog coming in will muddy the minimalism, oh well!

Any more updates, sound wise?

once upon a time.. Heard spendors at pune... They played a pretty familiar track from eagles... That it rocked is one thing... It revealed a guitar part which to this date I have not heard in most systems. You have an amazing system in play..

Can those of you who have experienced Accuphase products comment on the legacy E-206 amp?
Earlier Accuphase were rebranded with slight improvement from Successfully Running 'Kenwood' models, Because Accuphase initially started as outfork to consolidate home hifi business of Kenwood, because Kenwood as a brand involved in too many line extensions, even entering home appliances business.
Then as they say, Rest is history, Accuphase made their own mark in hiend hifi amplifiers. As @Ramanuj mentioned Engineers in those days were more dedicated in producing a Rosy Picture of sound ( the noise control from the source like TT etc was a main concern) overlooking the Transparency, Accuracy in the process.

A fantastic, minimalistic setup that makes green with envy. I guess the analog coming in will muddy the minimalism, oh well!

Any more updates, sound wise?
I have been away from home for more than two weeks now, so nothing on sound otherwise. Though I am planning to add a Lumin U1 (not mini) to the mix. More streaming options along with Roon.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back