Planning to buy Accuphase E-480

Taking our FM's critique to heart, I cleaned up my act :)
View attachment 58053

P.S: The space to the right is cleared for the impending arrival of a TT. The cabinet I have no control over, it is temporary rental place that I am living, and the cabinet came with the house. But anyways I have no intention in the future to invest in audiophile racks, not sure if I would even hear the difference (not to mention the fact that most of them are fugly) :)

Wow, those Devore Fidelity . Can listen to them all day long.

In case there is anyone in the thread who is not so focused on the house sound of certain brands but what is on the recording, you should surely consider this brand called Lyric audio from Germany. I own one for an year now and it is outstanding in terms of conveying what the artist intended, tonal fidelity and transparency. This brand is all about the music!

In case there is anyone in the thread who is not so focused on the house sound of certain brands but what is on the recording, you should surely consider this brand called Lyric audio from Germany. I own one for an year now and it is outstanding in terms of conveying what the artist intended, tonal fidelity and transparency. This brand is all about the music!
You should start a thread about them, with pics, and how you heard about this brand, etc. etc. Would love to know more :)

The "Pureaudio one" is another integrated amp that is all about the music. I heard it at Sameer's home driving the "pure audio project" speakers. Amazing amp that stays out of the way and just plays the music with authority!

Do you mean these -

Which model did you hear? What was used for the mid/high? How would you describe the speakers?

Do you mean these -

Which model did you hear? What was used for the mid/high? How would you describe the speakers?
This one

Pure Audio Project Trio15 Voxativ

For me, this is a speaker that marries the best of both worlds. The world of "transparent and linear sounding speakers" and the world of "tonal beauty and musicality ".

I have to admit that my experience with open baffle is zero that is why I found your post intriguing.

From what I understand, open baffle is generally "smoother" and "open" sounding than regular box speakers? Would you agree? I ask since I have not heard OB speakers.

Joechem Semler in Bangalore deals with German HIFI gear. Lyric, Einstien, Trigon etc to name a few. What is interesting about Lyric is they don't have any 2A3 or 300B based amps , most are around EL34,KT-88, KT-1xx based like Prima Luna.
Is jochen still active these days ? Used to get a newsletter from him from time to time but seems have not heard from him in couple of years. Any contact details ?

Is jochen still active these days ? Used to get a newsletter from him from time to time but seems have not heard from him in couple of years. Any contact details ?

He is still active. I am receiving his newsletter emails.

From what I understand, open baffle is generally "smoother" and "open" sounding than regular box speakers? Would you agree? I ask since I have not heard OB speakers.
In my experience, this is generally true. However very well build and designed box speakers also sound open and smooth. All design approaches have their strengths and I think the open baffle is all about non-boxiness. Music floats into the room.

I haven't heard a good open Baffle speaker, however before I make my point I would start with a basic assumption that the majority of folks in this line know better than me, and the majority within that majority use "box/enclosed" speakers. Now I know one can argue majority is not always right; however, we are not talking about right or wrong here, we are talking about what is the general consensus on how music is heard and I think it won't be factually incorrect to state that most music reproduction and mastering is done using enclosed/box speakers. This should imply that there must be something different/amiss/lacking in OB design philosophy that is coming in the way of it's adoption. It just can't be marketing or cosmetics.

Will

Will do. Does he have the Air Tight 300b on display there?
I would certainly reccomend Takatsuki TA-S01 over the AirTight 300......Takatsuki tubes are widely used in AT units.!

In my experience, this is generally true. However very well build and designed box speakers also sound open and smooth. All design approaches have their strengths and I think the open baffle is all about non-boxiness. Music floats into the room.
agreed - except you need powerful amp to drive them and properly treated room to enjoy the bass.

If you are comparing AB amps, then yes, both are top of line AB amps from respective companies; but if you are comparing the product range, then it's an apples to orange comparison.

Typically a company doesn't break its product line by amplifier topology. It does it by what the company thinks is the best SQ and it prices and positions that one at the top.

IMO no one cares if something is class A, AB, D, what matters is the SQ and price when a company displays its product line. And usually items are priced by the company by what they think is the highest SQ and their best effort (you might not agree, and find that a lower price amp sounds better, for eg most people prefer the Luxman 590AX2 over the 509X though the latter is their priciest and top of the line, with more bling as well).
I've had the chance to audition both the 509 & Class A 590AXii - ended up buying the 590AXii.......of all the units Ive had so far - this one was most musical at its price point........one amp I regret selling :(

Guys I am planning to move to an integrated amp and in about six months completely separate audio from home cinema. I have been given a price by the distributors but I would not like to reveal that here. However, from those who have had or have this amplifier or from those who just know, I would like know what a good price will be for E480. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Hi "terrible" - based on my long audiophile journey I can tell you - if you buy an Accuphase - you will never ever be disappointed. Going through the 10 pages of this thread - i saw many saying it is "overly" priced. It is - mainly due to the muscle power of the Distributor in the US & Europe. When I wanted to buy the Accuphase - did indepth research on both Luxman and Accuphase and was baffled at the price variation in almost all markets except Japan, where they are priced onpar. I even complained to Accuphase direct to which they were very polite and understanding. About 70 to 80% of Accuphase sales is in their domestic market - so the export market sales doesnt "affect" the bottomline of their business. The balance 20% is exported worldwide and the distributors hold a tight grip.

I ended up buying the Luxman.

It was an excellent unit - but still I moved on and changed to Accuphase. Not one, but three units. The build, the finish, the reliability - something many other brands dont offer.

Luxman as company - the ownership has changed several times and at one point of time - they almost ceased to exist.....on the other hand Accuphase maintained the ownership and management in a disciplined manner. If you look in the used market - you will easily find Accuphase units that are 25 to 40 years old - still commanding very high price.

Commonsense would tell you that there is a reason to it. (Y)

There are several other reasons why they are expensive - but my post seems to be getting lengthy ..... sorry !

Go ahead - if you have the budget - its a blind bet I would say.

Cheers!

I know a lot of people don't think NAD is highend enough , but I got the NAD 388 and genuinely think its a fantastic amplifier, not only for its price but also has enough wattage and current (peak and continuous) to run most types of speakers.

I know a lot of people don't think NAD is highend enough , but I got the NAD 388 and genuinely think its a fantastic amplifier, not only for its price but also has enough wattage and current (peak and continuous) to run most types of speakers.
you dont need anyones approval on whether it being "high end" or not - audio at the end of the day is so subjective and if it gives you the kick, enjoy :) NAD indeed is a high performing unit.

Hi "terrible" - based on my long audiophile journey I can tell you - if you buy an Accuphase - you will never ever be disappointed. Going through the 10 pages of this thread - i saw many saying it is "overly" priced. It is - mainly due to the muscle power of the Distributor in the US & Europe. When I wanted to buy the Accuphase - did indepth research on both Luxman and Accuphase and was baffled at the price variation in almost all markets except Japan, where they are priced onpar. I even complained to Accuphase direct to which they were very polite and understanding. About 70 to 80% of Accuphase sales is in their domestic market - so the export market sales doesnt "affect" the bottomline of their business. The balance 20% is exported worldwide and the distributors hold a tight grip.

It was an excellent unit - but still I moved on and changed to Accuphase. Not one, but three units. The build, the finish, the reliability - something many other brands dont offer.

Luxman as company - the ownership has changed several times and at one point of time - they almost ceased to exist.....on the other hand Accuphase maintained the ownership and management in a disciplined manner. If you look in the used market - you will easily find Accuphase units that are 25 to 40 years old - still commanding very high price.

There are several other reasons why they are expensive - but my post seems to be getting lengthy ..... sorry !

Cheers!

Hi Pancho
As a owner of Accuphase Amp, 100 percent I agree with you. It’s worth, no doubt. I tried several amps like MF, Vincent, Luxman, Krell and found Accuphase is my all time keeper.

Cheers!
Not that I am planning to buy one, but how does Accuphase (or Luxman) compare to high end "consumer" brands like Parasound, Musical Fidelity, Marantz Reference line, McIntosh, Hegel etc?
How much of the price difference is due to sound/build/legacy?
Are they Veblen items or you get (at least partially) what you pay for?
Are objective measurements widely available?

Not that I am planning to buy one, but how does Accuphase (or Luxman) compare to high end "consumer" brands like Parasound, Musical Fidelity, Marantz Reference line, McIntosh, Hegel etc?
How much of the price difference is due to sound/build/legacy?
Are they Veblen items or you get (at least partially) what you pay for?
Are objective measurements widely available?
One has to be careful - and avoid unncessarily create controversy by saying one brand is better over the other. But certainly some brands commands premium. The brands you mentioned here - each of them has its own merits - and to say one is 100% better over the other in all respects - it simply isnt possible. Each brand has its own fan base and they target a certain market / price segment. As I said - audio is a subjective topic....

Musical Fidelity - I have owned NuVista 600 as well as their NuVista CD/DAC .....each costs well above GBP 6K - and under Antony Michelson the brand flourished - he made his money - sold the brand which I belive Project of Austria own now. Those units were "hybrid"s and had a signature of ther own - and built like a tank - but if you ask me now - I wouldnt bat an eyelid to select Luxman or Accuphase over it.

McIntosh - so popular amongst the Americans as well as several other markets - is a total turn-off for me. I recently was able to borrow their 60th Anniversary (1969 -2009 C22) Pre Amp (I beleive much sought after) - in about 30 to minutes running time - it does perform beautifully - but I am afraid not for me. I also ordered yesterday 16 transistors from DigiKey for a friend of mine - to repair his McIntosh.....and he wanted two more parts - but they are "obsolete" - you know what I mean ? I doubt those are built to last like the Accuphase. Parasound and Marantz has - certainly Marantz has super duper reference amplifiers - but they are again IMHO a commerical company with so many products for the consumer market - big difference with the philiosophy either Lux and Accu follows...I dont have much experince with the Danish units - other than having heard only good things ....

I would certainly reccomend Takatsuki TA-S01 over the AirTight 300......Takatsuki tubes are widely used in AT units.!

agreed - except you need powerful amp to drive them and properly treated room to enjoy the bass.

I've had the chance to audition both the 509 & Class A 590AXii - ended up buying the 590AXii.......of all the units Ive had so far - this one was most musical at its price point........one amp I regret selling :(

Cheers!
How does one source the Takatsuki amps? Can't find any pricing info on this amp either. Any idea what's the MSRP is like? (Do DM if you prefer, am really curious about this amp).

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back