Planning to buy Accuphase E-480

Now that I have pulled the plug on Boulder 866, I'll have to live and learn.

Would have totally believed you, about him, if I hadn't experienced him myself. Especially when I compare my experience with the Audiolounge guys. :)
Congratulation!!!! Enjoy your new gear and hope it brings years of listening pleasure. Sone Pictures of the setup would be nice. Have been following this thread for a while. Happy for you. :) :)

Cheers.

Now that I have pulled the plug on Boulder 866, I'll have to live and learn.

Would have totally believed you, about him, if I hadn't experienced him myself. Especially when I compare my experience with the Audiolounge guys. :)
A great amplifier and purchase. Congratulations.

Terrible, just curious why did you choose the 9.2 over the Classic 100? I think both are in a similar price category.
I had heard D 9 at someone's place. It has been on my radar. I do not have much knowledge of Classic 100 apart from some people praising it on certain forums abroad.

Fantastic marvellous looking very very very nice good setup
Pardon me, yes, great equipment for sure, but doesn’t look like a thoughtful setup. The cabinet, while it’s beautiful, doesn’t look like designed for hi-fi audio equipment. There’s a lot of stacking as a result. The speaker cables could come in the way as there seems to be an entrance into the room from behind the right speaker. The TV (if in use) isn’t in the center and the viewing pleasure would be affected as the large speakers in the fore might visually distract.

Given the cumulative cost of the equipment, some thought, effort and money in setting up might significantly add to the listening (and viewing) experience. But the experienced OP might be already aware of all these and have a plan for the same.

Another two brand which is highly hyped and sold with boosted, ridiculous price is Sansui and Luxman.
Sansui still makes audio gear? It turned into a generic made in China brand in the 90s for TVs

Luxman India pricing is the same ballpark as Accuphase

Pardon me, yes, great equipment for sure, but doesn’t look like a thoughtful setup. The cabinet, while it’s beautiful, doesn’t look like designed for hi-fi audio equipment. There’s a lot of stacking as a result. The speaker cables could come in the way as there seems to be an entrance into the room from behind the right speaker. The TV (if in use) isn’t in the center and the viewing pleasure would be affected as the large speakers in the fore might visually distract.

Given the cumulative cost of the equipment, some thought, effort and money in setting up might significantly add to the listening (and viewing) experience. But the experienced OP might be already aware of all these and have a plan for the same.
Nagara superb sir, you have mindblowing setup

You are correct in your conclusions, although mistaken at the intention of the posting. It was not to highlight my rack of equipment (which is admittedly in a state of flux) but to announce the arrival of an Accuphase amp, the star of the show, and which is what this thread is about. Also am not the OP ;), who it seems has moved on to the Boulder 866, quite an awesome turn of of events I might add, which adds to the fun of this thread.
I am almost more excited than the OP about his 866 and can't wait to hear his feedback and pics when it arrives :)

Sansui still makes audio gear? It turned into a generic made in China brand in the 90s for TVs

Luxman India pricing is the same ballpark as Accuphase
Luxman gear I think is quite fairly priced in India, lower than even international prices which is quite a revolution given the atrocious pricing of high-end gear here. IMHO of course.

You are correct in your conclusions, although mistaken at the intention of the posting. It was not to highlight my rack of equipment (which is admittedly in a state of flux) but to announce the arrival of an Accuphase amp, the star of the show, and which is what this thread is about. Also am not the OP ;), who it seems has moved on to the Boulder 866, quite an awesome turn of of events I might add, which adds to the fun of this thread.
I am almost more excited than the OP about his 866 and can't wait to hear his feedback and pics when it arrives :)
Your posts got so entwined with the OPs that a lot of people lost trail of whose thread it was and who was buying what....interesting twist in the end so i guess congratulations to both of you :) :)

Luxman gear I think is quite fairly priced in India, lower than even international prices which is quite a revolution given the atrocious pricing of high-end gear here. IMHO of course.
Both of them have list prices on their class AB integrated amps that are quite close to each other. Discounts possible on both. Hence my comment that pricing is in the same ballpark. Its just that Anil/Hifimart are much easier to deal with than any of the Accuphase reps.

Both of them have list prices on their class AB integrated amps that are quite close to each other. Discounts possible on both. Hence my comment that pricing is in the same ballpark. Its just that Anil/Hifimart are much easier to deal with than any of the Accuphase reps.
Hmmmm...if you are comparing the E-480 to the Luxman 509X, it is an apples to orange comparison. 509X is Luxman's top of the line integrated, whereas E-480 is third from the top of the line amongst Accuphase integrated amps. If the price for the two are the same-ish, Luxman is obviously better priced.

Essrand, i dont understand the Luxman line very well, but I thought that these two are the respective top of the line class AB amps. Is that not so?

But broadly, I find it puzzling that so many people are obsessed with Accuphase despite its supposedly being higher priced for same quality or poorer quality for same price, relative to Luxman. Why not dump the stuff and look for something else, especially if everything else is much better VFM? Looks to me that that is perhaps not so...

Hmmmm...if you are comparing the E-480 to the Luxman 509X, it is an apples to orange comparison. 509X is Luxman's top of the line integrated, whereas E-480 is third from the top of the line amongst Accuphase integrated amps. If the price for the two are the same-ish, Luxman is obviously better priced.

North American pricing (Canadian for Accuphase, US for Luxman; ignore the egregious US price for Accuphase) for both is around $9k. India list (at least going by Hifimart) is cheaper for Accuphase. Both are top of the line class AB amps from well regarded brands. I consider the comparison fair.

Luxman isnt really a Japanese company anymore so North America is the closes thing we have to a like-for-like comparison.

Essrand, i dont understand the Luxman line very well, but I thought that these two are the respective top of the line class AB amps. Is that not so?

But broadly, I find it puzzling that so many people are obsessed with Accuphase despite its supposedly being higher priced for same quality or poorer quality for same price, relative to Luxman. Why not dump the stuff and look for something else, especially if everything else is much better VFM? Looks to me that that is perhaps not so...
You are right. Although I have not heard Luxman SS, the Luxman 300b amplifier is the best amplifier I have heard (not in my system). But it is an esoteric all out assault of a 8W SET amp creation, and Luxman's most expensive amp.

But coming back to planet earth, having had the Accuphase in my house for the past few days, I am starting to understand what the fuss is all about wrt Accuphase SS.

North American pricing (Canadian for Accuphase, US for Luxman; ignore the egregious US price for Accuphase) for both is around $9k. India list (at least going by Hifimart) is cheaper for Accuphase. Both are top of the line class AB amps from well regarded brands. I consider the comparison fair.

Luxman isnt really a Japanese company anymore so North America is the closes thing we have to a like-for-like comparison.
If you are comparing AB amps, then yes, both are top of line AB amps from respective companies; but if you are comparing the product range, then it's an apples to orange comparison.

Typically a company doesn't break its product line by amplifier topology. It does it by what the company thinks is the best SQ and it prices and positions that one at the top.

IMO no one cares if something is class A, AB, D, what matters is the SQ and price when a company displays its product line. And usually items are priced by the company by what they think is the highest SQ and their best effort (you might not agree, and find that a lower price amp sounds better, for eg most people prefer the Luxman 590AX2 over the 509X though the latter is their priciest and top of the line, with more bling as well).

If you are comparing AB amps, then yes, both are top of line AB amps from respective companies; but if you are comparing the product range, then it's an apples to orange comparison.

Typically a company doesn't break its product line by amplifier topology. It does it by what the company thinks is the best SQ and it prices and positions that one at the top.

IMO no one cares if something is class A, AB, D, what matters is the SQ and price when a company displays its product line. And usually items are priced by the company by what they think is the highest SQ and their best effort (you might not agree, and find that a lower price amp sounds better, for eg most people prefer the Luxman 590AX2 over the 509X though the latter is their priciest and top of the line, with more bling as well).
Agree its not just about topology. Companies can have very difference philosophies on pre-power vs integrated. A lot of companies dont let the two overlap (eg Naim or Luxman). Whether this is to do with their view on performance or a marketing call is unclear. Accuphase seems to be in a different camp and extends its integrated range higher, letting some pre-power combos come in below top end integrateds. The reason I bought up North American pricing was to find a more objective way of examining relative pricing in India.

On a separate note, given your experience with the Luxman 300b, do check out the Airtight amps in Bangalore whenever you end up traveling here. If yo

Will
Agree its not just about topology. Companies can have very difference philosophies on pre-power vs integrated. A lot of companies dont let the two overlap (eg Naim or Luxman). Whether this is to do with their view on performance or a marketing call is unclear. Accuphase seems to be in a different camp and extends its integrated range higher, letting some pre-power combos come in below top end integrateds. The reason I bought up North American pricing was to find a more objective way of examining relative pricing in India.

On a separate note, given your experience with the Luxman 300b, do check out the Airtight amps in Bangalore whenever you end up traveling here. If yo
Will do. Does he have the Air Tight 300b on display there?

Taking our FM's critique to heart, I cleaned up my act :)
IMG_1145.jpg

P.S: The space to the right is cleared for the impending arrival of a TT. The cabinet I have no control over, it is temporary rental place that I am living, and the cabinet came with the house. But anyways I have no intention in the future to invest in audiophile racks, not sure if I would even hear the difference (not to mention the fact that most of them are ugly) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back