Planning to buy Accuphase E-480

I have heard Focal Aria 948, like them but not as much as the Spendor. Harbeth is very good, but I am looking for tall speakers. I haven't hear Spendor Classic but there are those who think classic sounds better than D series.

No, I heard it with their pre and power and it was fantastic. But I am looking at Nagara Classic INT, not the 300i. I have all kinds of fears about tubes; like what happens if some of them go bust etc... I am challenged that way. Not that I can do much in the case of SS. I would have even looked at T+A but for that guy Marbin. However, now, you have thrown a Boulder at the works. I love its reviews, looks, and the fact that I can play Roon just pushing in an ethernet cable.
Marbin's a good guy once you get to know him better. I bought my Accuphase through him only. Not a bad experience at all, I had been in talks with buying the E-650 for a few years actually, since it came out :) He worked with me on the price too. And unlike other dealers who are just brokers, he actually stocks products.
Only mentioning this because its always YMMV, and also have received 1-2 DMs about what dealer I got the amp from.

IMHO spendors work best with tube amplification or with ss amps having short paths simpler amplification like a Lavardin, Croft , LFD etc etc.... or low wattage high current Class a amps. Too much of a solid state chain is a vice for spendors in the long run unless you have an overly damped room. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
IMHO spendors work best with tube amplification or with ss amps having short paths simpler amplification like a Lavardin, Croft , LFD etc etc.... or low wattage high current Class a amps. Too much of a solid state chain is a vice for spendors in the long run unless you have an overly damped room. Just an opinion.
Now that I have pulled the plug on Boulder 866, I'll have to live and learn.

Marbin's a good guy once you get to know him better. I bought my Accuphase through him only. Not a bad experience at all, I had been in talks with buying the E-650 for a few years actually, since it came out :) He worked with me on the price too. And unlike other dealers who are just brokers, he actually stocks products.
Only mentioning this because its always YMMV, and also have received 1-2 DMs about what dealer I got the amp from.
Would have totally believed you, about him, if I hadn't experienced him myself. Especially when I compare my experience with the Audiolounge guys. :)

Would have totally believed you, about him, if I hadn't experienced him myself. Especially when I compare my experience with the Audiolounge guys. :)
And how much did the Boulder 866 cost you if I may ask? Do share if it's nit classified information..

And how much did the Boulder 866 cost you if I may ask? Do share if it's nit classified information..
Well, everyone doesn't get the same price as Dealers/Distributors give better deals to frequent buyers.

No point asking for prices as this is not like Croma or Vijay Sales, were they will price match for every customer.

These guys are Importers & give pricing according to how much you buy from them at a given time or long term.

Hope no offence is taken but its the truth in this scenario.

Cheers.

@terrible haha so from evaluating E-480 to Boulder 866 that's quite a switch man . Would love to hear your impressions about it in coming days. Congrats for the new Amp.
I know man...lol. But when I heard the Spendors in the given assembly at Audiolounge, I knew E-480 and the ilk would not do. I was looking at Nagra Classic INT but that would have meant spending more on a DAC and a streamer. In the meanwhile, @essrand suggested Boulder 866 and saved me a ton of money. Hope it works out.

I know man...lol. But when I heard the Spendors in the given assembly at Audiolounge, I knew E-480 and the ilk would not do. I was looking at Nagra Classic INT but that would have meant spending more on a DAC and a streamer. In the meanwhile, @essrand suggested Boulder 866 and saved me a ton of money. Hope it works out.

You saved money by buying a 13000 USD amplifier??

You'd have felt even more relieved if you had bought pro audio gear and gotten better raw capabilities/performance and with DSP the ability to fine tune it to your tastes any way you like. But that does depend on what pro gear you'd have bought. Some stuff is expensive and others less so.

Anyway, enjoy your (cheap and relieved) gear! :)

Audio Lounge experience is unparalleled can't compare any Indian dealer with them :)

It's like comparing service by Taj with a roadside dhaba or a Udipi restaurant.

Terrible, just curious why did you choose the 9.2 over the Classic 100? I think both are in a similar price category.

Guys,

The last few posts have been asking a little too much IMO.

Asking someone about the purchase price of their gear is best done via PM.
The same goes for comments on their budget and purchasing decisions.

Please show some discretion before asking what may be an awkward question.

Regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back