Planning to buy Accuphase E-480

Maybe this might be useful to this discussion:

There's a music server made in Japan I wanted to purchase, in Japan it costs $3700, I contacted them (no dealer in India), they pointed me to their Singapore office. The international model for the same product, $5700. And this is not even through a distributor or anything, just their office in Singapore.

So depending on the country, Japanese companies set a price for their product different from home country. It seems.

Still better than its European price: $9000
So what was your final landing cost ?

OP, have you decided on an amp and speakers yet? B&W? What music do you listen to?
I have decided on the speakers and have paid for Spendor D 9.2. As for the integrated, my desire is not matching my wife's approval. So I am left engineering right now. But I think in a day or two I'll make a decision. It's not Accuphase for sure.

I listen to rock, jazz, blues, indie (that falls into various genres) and a lot of coke studio.

I have decided on the speakers and have paid for Spendor D 9.2. As for the integrated, my desire is not matching my wife's approval. So I am left engineering right now. But I think in a day or two I'll make a decision. It's not Accuphase for sure.

I listen to rock, jazz, blues, indie (that falls into various genres) and a lot of coke studio.
hmmn nice, did you audition the 804 d3?

Didn't you try any of the Focals since you already own them? I have been considering upgrading to one because I have read they match very well with an Accuphase, not that it matters to you anymore.
Did you explore any thin walled speakers like Harbeth or Spendor Classic?

My bad but I am trying to leverage your ears for the speakers I am interested in!

Did you hear the Nagra 300 integrated with your speakers at the showroom.
Nagra with Spendors is quite amazing SQ-wise and the Nagra 300 integrated is petite and built like a jewelry (Rolex watch to be precise), sure will win your wife's approval :) My Bhabhi loves my Nagra 300 stereo amplifier which looks the same.

Didn't you try any of the Focals since you already own them? I have been considering upgrading to one because I have read they match very well with an Accuphase, not that it matters to you anymore.
Did you explore any thin walled speakers like Harbeth or Spendor Classic?

My bad but I am trying to leverage your ears for the speakers I am interested in!
I have heard Focal Aria 948, like them but not as much as the Spendor. Harbeth is very good, but I am looking for tall speakers. I haven't hear Spendor Classic but there are those who think classic sounds better than D series.
Did you hear the Nagra 300 integrated with your speakers at the showroom.
Nagra with Spendors is quite amazing SQ-wise and the Nagra 300 integrated is petite and built like a jewelry (Rolex watch to be precise), sure will win your wife's approval :) My Bhabhi loves my Nagra 300 stereo amplifier which looks the same.
No, I heard it with their pre and power and it was fantastic. But I am looking at Nagara Classic INT, not the 300i. I have all kinds of fears about tubes; like what happens if some of them go bust etc... I am challenged that way. Not that I can do much in the case of SS. I would have even looked at T+A but for that guy Marbin. However, now, you have thrown a Boulder at the works. I love its reviews, looks, and the fact that I can play Roon just pushing in an ethernet cable.

Congrats on the Speakers !!!.When you resume your amp hunt, i would suggest to listen to Plinius in solid state and KR Audio in tube. They paired very well in my trials with the spendor speakers.

paired well with the bigger classic spendors, but not sure with D series

Last edited by a moderator:
@terrible what amps and source did you audition D 9.2 with. ? Would love to hear how you compare them with 804s and 948s .
Nagra power, pre and DAC. The source was Nagra CD player and bel canto streamer. The 948 had less resolve and had much more laid back soundstage as compared to D 9. The 804 I felt lacked clarity on certain tracks I played on it. Right off the bat, the Spendor's seem to hit me on every track, artist I played; Chris Rea, Etta James, George Ezra, London Grammar, Sting... Beyond this it's a bit difficult for me to explain in audiophile language as I am not an audiophile, I just listen to music :)

Congrats on the Speakers !!!.When you resume your amp hunt, i would suggest to listen to Plinius in solid state and KR Audio in tube. They paired very well in my trials with the spendor speakers.
I checked on Plinius Hiato with the distributor, but it was not available.

Last edited:
@terrible that works for me :) thanks . I have to say, It's a pretty substantial amp and source setup you heard these speakers with. Maybe you should have taken your CXR200 and used it for A/B tests too; for while not an ideal pairing it would have helped you know what kind of an Amp would be "good enough" for them?

@terrible that works for me :) thanks . I have to say, It's a pretty substantial amp and source setup you heard these speakers with. Maybe you should have taken your CXR200 and used it for A/B tests too; for while not an ideal pairing it would have helped you know what kind of an Amp would be "good enough" for them?
I think a Boulder 866 should be good for them.

Do let us know if/when you pull the trigger on 866. Am quite excited for you. That amp has been on my radar for so long.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back