Plasma or LCD

vishalindia

Dear All,

Kindly advice, what should I go for - Plasma or LCD? Really dont know what to do. As, from most of the people are saying that Plasma is anytime better choice than LCD, if the size is 42 or more, but isnt it (plasma) consuming too much power than LCD and its an old technology.

Also, want to buy the same in Full HD, USB connectivity (to watch movies directly) and also having the web connectivity.

Kindly advice, already looking for few models from Panasonic in Delhi.

Thanks in advance

Vishal

LCD or Plasma really depends on your personal preference. If you are going to watch a lot of TV in the daytime in a brightly lit room then LCD may be better. If you are watching in a room where the amount of light can be controlled then plasma may be better. It's best if you go to a showroom and audition both side by side. Maybe to your eyes the plasma may seem dull or the LCD may have blooming of whites. So it's all up to you, the buyer.
Why are you worried about electricity bill when you can afford to shell out more than 30k on a TV ;-)??
Full HD Plasmas are really expensive. As for USB functionality and web connectivity, do not let that be a deciding factor in your purchase. You can always purchase a media player which can do both way better than the TV can.
A word of advice...... it is always better to opt for the bigger screen.

hi
check Panasonic Plasma 42 v20.Rate is around 60K.I bought one 2 weeks ago,very happy with my purchase.

features

Full HD
USB Connectivity
Internet ready
SD Card reader
Neo PDP panel(for reduced power consumption) etc etc

I have seen many LCDs and Plasmas before deciding Panasonic v20.

Go to any multi brand showroom where u can watch LCDs and Plasmas side by side.Also carry a video clip and play.And go for the model which u like.

All the best.

Last edited:
(this is a reply i gave in another thread but may be of use here too)
Hi! everybody i was set to buy LG 42 pj560 at 39k but had some considerations-so i stopped.the below few were my thoughts-not to offend/discourage anybody buying a plasma..

1.Yes,agree the burn in is not a issue -but not 100% over right?so,in indian tv viewing conditions-we have these black barred channels and programs quite often-and it will somewhere at the back of our mind make us uncomfortable (and switching between different video modes for different programs is not feasible).Add to this there are these channel logos and DTH logos..

2.HD ready is not exactly same as FHD ,even for a laymen like me the difference was clearly visible from 5ft on the HD content .It has difference let us agree.So,there will be a psycho hindrance in our mind that we are not getting the full quality when playing full HD content..

3.Though may not apply to all of us,most have laptops (many with HDMI out). We may at sometime venture into gaming or say even browsing on tv (a scenario of watching FHD content on youtube),the FHD is better right?

4.May seem far fetched ,but content greater than 1080p have started making rounds and with the fast pace of technology -they may be a reality in 3 years (coz i was the one who told 3 yrs back that HD channels will never make it to india in next 6-7 years.. ).At that point in time 1080p s may become the today's 720p s.(and then 1080p channels may be of large number..)

5.Say you buy a panny or a lg or a sammy plasma- all are in the range of 40k ,max upto 43-44k.Atleast for the budget buyers like me- 40-45k on a TV is a big investment and expect not to invest on another for atleast 6-7 years (did i say my existing ONIDA is 18 yrs old and the picture quality id better than a LCD? ) .So,want it to be as much future ready as possible..

6.Seeing the other options,I found FHD LCD-Toshiba Regza 42 RV600E at 40k,LG Jazz 42 80fr at 47-48k (yes the same model which was the top LG model in 2009 ).With these options i began contemplating-will i spend a little more say on a LG and go for a FHD LCD or the toshiba option..

With all these thoughts in mind,have postponed the purchase to Ganapati festival (to max dasara ),and see which FHD LCD comes in this price point with good quality

Again,i am not here to spark off a Plasma v/s LCD debate-just my thoughts..

I'd really like to read the 'defense' for some of those statements.

The defense has already spoken in loads of threads with the same discussions/arguments over the same old LCD vs Plasma theme ..... I wish OP would have actually searched ..... but anyway

I think you have sparked a debate by that question. :rolleyes:

You must go to a store, check both of them side by side and choose one yourselves.. Plasma scores in blackness levels, natural color reproduction and display speed. LCD in sheer brightness, brilliant colors and lesser glaring.

Plasma is the best in the picture reproduction front, IMO
Picture in LCDs look washed out. The colors are not vibrant and not natural.
Again all IMO only...
I do agree burn in is a problem in plasmas which these days is much taken care of. And when one speaks about not to take the pain of changing the channels freq,
The reason remote control was invented is for the same... No need to run to the TV to change the channels freq :)
And there is always a technology there to save you from burn in.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back