Plasma TV Selection - Advice Needed! Thanks :-)

Agni

Guys, Firstly, a Very Happy Diwali to all of you! :)

This is a great forum to seek advice and I thank all of you in anticipation at the start itself!

I am planning to replace my old CRT with a new TV and after doing research found out that Plasma is the way to go for the discerning viewer!

I have zeroed in on the following models.

Panasonic TH-P42UT50D

Panasonic TH-P50S60D

Samsung PS51F5500AR

My requirement is for 42 inches but if the 50 inch TV is really really worth it over the 42 inches TV, I do not mind going upto 50 inches.

A very good picture quality is the key requirement.
I do not require 3D as such.

I would like to have web browsing so as to watch youtube videos and do skype webcam chats.

Which should I be going for in the 3 choices above?

Or does anybody have a suggestion beyond the 3 choices I have zeroed on?

My location is Mumbai.

Thanks a lot! :)

Hi there! Though I can't comment on the individual models you have selected but I can say for sure that the 50" Tv is a huge upgrade over a 42" one. Just go for the 50/51 " one

I watch 50s60 from 9.5 feet and i am comfortable with it.
Would recommend to go for 50, as the 42 inchers come with 1024x786 resolution. This is not at all 720p. They don't render the text properly, but is good enough for a dth type viewing.

Simply put , if your budget can accommodate a 50 inch you should get it. I have personally seen the f5500 for extended periods and it looked good.

+1 to all the above comments.
50 inches will be worth considering.

Regarding the models:
UT50 is 2012 model.

Demo the below models:

50S60 and 51F5500 are full HD models and good models in 2013.
F5500 is 3D Smart, +1 inch

I watch 50s60 from 9.5 feet and i am comfortable with it.
Would recommend to go for 50, as the 42 inchers come with 1024x786 resolution. This is not at all 720p. They don't render the text properly, but is good enough for a dth type viewing.

Thanks a lot for all the replies :)

When I did some research on the Panasonic TH-P42UT50D, the Display resolution shows as 1,920 (W) x 1,080 (H) everywhere, which is 1080p right?

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

I don't know the individual models that you have listed - but first of all you are very much on the correct path for choosing a plasma TV. The picture quality is head & shoulders above everything else available in the market. (Caveat - I have not seen the 4K TVs coming out now)

Among plasma TVs - Panasonic truly stands out in quality again (it is really sad to note that Panasonic is stepping out of the Plasma TV business though)

SO - the best current option is a Panasonic Plasma, But plasmas do develop complaints more often.
For many plasma complaints the only solution is to replace the screen - which is nearly the equivalent of buying a new TV - MAKE SURE THAT YOU GO FOR AN EXTENDED 3 YEAR WARRANTY - if you are buying plasma

This is a great forum to seek advice and I thank all of you in anticipation at the start itself!

I am planning to replace my old CRT with a new TV and after doing research found out that Plasma is the way to go for the discerning viewer!

Panasonic TH-P42UT50D

Panasonic TH-P50S60D

Samsung PS51F5500AR

My requirement is for 42 inches but if the 50 inch TV is really really worth it over the 42 inches TV, I do not mind going upto 50 inches.

I would like to have web browsing so as to watch youtube videos and do skype webcam chats.

My location is Mumbai.

Panasonic TH-P42UT50D - subject to stock availability - my pick #1
Panasonic TH-P50S60D - my pickP #3
Samsung PS51F5500AR - my pick #2

Best would be to demo and then decide.

My location is Mumbai.

Panasonic TH-P42UT50D - subject to stock availability - my pick #1
Panasonic TH-P50S60D - my pickP #3
Samsung PS51F5500AR - my pick #2

Best would be to demo and then decide.

I am not going to comment on which TV is better, but like others have mentioned,
if your budget allows, go for the biggest (of course do not compromise too much on
the PQ as well).

I recently upgraded from 32 to 46 and the moment the TV was pulled out of the
box, me and my wife felt that the TV was too small and we should have gone for
at least 55". :(

Hi,

Wishing all a very happy Diwali and new year

Am using P65ST50 and fully enjoying the experience

1) if you have proper distance and budget, Go for 50/51 inch
2) Panna is good choice for plasma
3) ST/S50 Series is good option
4) Do get demo and satisfy yourself

Cheers..

Thanks a lot for all the replies :)

When I did some research on the Panasonic TH-P42UT50D, the Display resolution shows as 1,920 (W) x 1,080 (H) everywhere, which is 1080p right?

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Also, one advantage which the Panasonic TH-P42UT50D seems to have over over the Panasonic TH-P50S60D is that

TH-P42UT50D has 2500 Hz FFD (Focused Field Drive) while
TH-P50S60D has 600 Hz SFD (Sub-Field Drive)

From what I read 2500 FFD would give a crisper, clearer picture in motion than a 600 Hz SFD, is that right, considering that the higher ST series also has 2500 FFD?

biggest screen for sure..........if it's a choice between 50 and 42, go for 50, even if it means to really stretch the budget. It will be well worth it.

42UT50D was a good 2012 model. Now it may not be available at all. If at all it might be display/demo piece. In my opinion you should look for 2013 models now.

There are no 42 inch UT (FHD) equivalent 2013 panasonic model and no FHD 42 inch from Samsung.

You can demo the below models:

50S60 - FHD Non 3D
51F5500 - FHD 3D

43F4900 - HD, 3D ( Even though it is 720p, this is one of the VFM TV in that price bracket and good feedback from many FMs)

Also, one advantage which the Panasonic TH-P42UT50D seems to have over over the Panasonic TH-P50S60D is that

TH-P42UT50D has 2500 Hz FFD (Focused Field Drive) while
TH-P50S60D has 600 Hz SFD (Sub-Field Drive)

From what I read 2500 FFD would give a crisper, clearer picture in motion than a 600 Hz SFD, is that right, considering that the higher ST series also has 2500 FFD?

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a Panasonic Plasma TV VIERA TH-P50S60D.

Any idea where can I go have a look before I buy one.

I tried checking with Croma and they don't have Panasonic Plasma TV on display in Mumbai.

Agni: I saw you had mentioned your location as Mumbai. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Buy it while it lasts, i just called the local Panasonic Brand shop in Bangalore and he said, ST series ain't coming also said that Panasonic will not sell plasma in India anymore.

Only stock of 50S60 was there, all other models are sold out.

So guess its the end for Panasonic Plasmas in India.

Last edited:
After reading all the posts here, I have been waiting around for the last many days to get a possible demo and availability of the Panasonic 50ST60 which from what I hear truly seems the best TV to have been sold in India yet!

But finally, after waiting in vain for the Panasonic 50ST60, I feel it may not become available at all and my choice has zeroed down to

Samsung 51F5500

Panasonic P50S60D.

Getting a demo of these 2 is also not so easy though.

I am going to Reliance Digital Infinity Mall tomorrow to demo the Samsung (All Reliance Stores have it in stock but none except this have it in display)

The Mulund Panasonic Brand Shop seems to have the 50S60D in display too.

So Guys, what suggestions between the Samsung 51F5500 & Panasonic P50S60D now? :)

Thanks!

Guys,
Now that my choice is down to the Samsung 51F5500 & Panasonic P50S60D, would really appreciate it if you guys could help me with what is the best deal for these.

From what I have read in your posts, around 69k with blu-ray player seems to be a good price for the Samsung F5500.

What would be a good price to negotiate for the Panasonic 50S60D?

Thanks a lot in anticipation!
:)

Back