PLaying fine, then NO Sound/Light - Grundig TK 545

grundiggin

Hello
i am new to this forum and also new to a Grundig TK 545 which was handed down to me from my father in law. he is the original owner and kept it in pristine condition with original manuals, box, mic. barely used he said.
this afternoon I began playing a reel on it. it was playing well. i was sure not to play it too loud as it has not been used in probably 30 years. all of a sudden the sound and instrument lights went out. the reels were still moving but no sound or lights. not sure what it could be. wondering if maybe a tube went out but don't know much about these vintage units. hoping to learn though which is why i joined. thanks to anyone who can help!

Tried figuring out the service manual
GRUNDIG TK545 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
It's in german, from what I could make out, the reels are driven from mains, but the rest is off a DC supply. Since *nothing* is working, you might want to check the DC power supply side. Hopefully nothing major has blown inside !
On the other hand, if you are not too comfortable playing around with electronics, then better seek professional help!

Last edited:
There could be a separate fuse for the audio/ lights section. Also, as its an old deck, there may be dry solder points or loose solders.

Regards,
Saket

Super
Thank you!
I will investigate the DC power supply as you mentioned. Thanks for sending along that link - very helpful for immediate need as well as future.
Thank you again for your time and help.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back