PlayOn!HD Media Player Review

:eek:hyeah: in Singapore, its bundled free along with POHD and its $249 nett, even if you don't want HDMI cable, the price remains unchanged :sad:

Where in Singapore did you buy it from?

Mini is value for money but POHD is expensive for 12.5k

Two clinchers for POHD, IMO, is its 3.5'' HDD slot and the ability to play external drives over USB. Xtreamer is around 3K lesser than POHD. You think the diff is worth the added features?

Mini is value for money but POHD is expensive for 12.5k

Depends how you look at it, if compared with WD TV Live yes but if compared with TViX 6600/7000 ...NO....... far lesser in price. Also it depends which feature is an absolute necesscity for an indivisual and weather he would pay that extra price for that feature. But for me POHD has I'd say best ballance between price and features. More format support (including real media) and now YAMJ plus ability to add 3.5" HDD internally (meaning can reach 2 TB) are few features that were a deal maker for me unlike xtremer. Plus I have been reding developer fourms for both POHD and xtremer and I see POHD staff is much better in responding to queries and bringing out updates/firmwares and they actually listen to your suggestions, .........so that was another reason......

Two clinchers for POHD, IMO, is its 3.5'' HDD slot and the ability to play external drives over USB. Xtreamer is around 3K lesser than POHD. You think the diff is worth the added features?

As I said for some (includng me yes) and for some it would be no. POHD has few other added advantages as well over xtermer Like supports HDMI 1.3, Optical and Coaxial, Composite, Component and 10/100 RJ45 Network, the xtreamer is limited to HDMI 1.3, Composite and Optical. POHD has integrated card reader unlike Xtermer......etc etc....

Last edited:
but Xtreamer is 8290 with wifi

how much is POHD with wifi

the difference is 4k + what we pay for wifi when compared with Xtreamer. wrt to WDTV Live you can buy 2 in the price of one POHD.

Where in Singapore did you buy it from?

I bought direct from AC Ryan Asia Pacific along with the Wifi dongle.

But I also understand that Challenge IT Superstore was selling it at member's price - SGD$239 w/out Wifi dongle. (However I don't have membership with them and was lazy to go around SLS to source for cheaper pricing, therefore I decided to buy direct) :lol:

P.S - SLS (Sim Lim Square - considering one of the biggest place that you could get cheap components)

It was self collection, the customer service was impressive, they even helped me to update the firmware to 1st trial YAMJ and also installation of HDD which i brought my HDD there. Roger (the staff) was kind to show me a short quick "demo" on the features and how to go about setting/preparing of YAMJ. :cool:

Hello!

I need some help to decide btw the PlanOn!HD and the xteamer..

My primary usage currently will be for music.I plan to use the Internet Radio a lot, so would like to know which is better suited? Ie better ease of use? the device will be connected to an ordinary hifi system:)( for now hopefully!) and a 29"crt for navigation ( Will upgrade to an LCD later, and hence will shift all my Hidef stuff of my computer+24" panel)

Also, I've tried searching the net for screens of the Internet radio interface of the PlayOn!, can't seem to find any.. If someone has some, pl do post! :)
hence, in short, which of the two will be better suited for my needs?

1) Easy to use interface for internet radio
2) Ability to manually add a radio station, ie like a friends stream.
3) Quick launch/favorites for internet radio

Optional
1) Play music without having to switch on the display?

Thanks!

noob here . but read up most things on all the players. thanks for all the wonderful and useful information from the discussions. :)

so getting right to it - how come no one talks about the mede8er vs the POHD? especially since apples to apples , they both are same as a physical device (afaik) and other differences are all being upgraded by both via firmware updates.
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21736&page=2

But essentially (regardless of the firmware update race from either companies on common features) the UI from the mede8er looks much cleaner and nicer. and recent firmware upgrade to v3 lists some v user friendly features such as watched, etc... this is in addition to other potential updates for yamj etc.

q1. So is there any India specific angle that no one here has considered mede8er instead of acryan ( given that acryan is available from blr itself in india )
q2. any one know where to get the mede8er in India. i have read that it is 12k but that may be info from a few months ago.

any one?

TIA
Cheers,
Sithon

Last edited:
Hello!

I need some help to decide btw the PlanOn!HD and the xteamer..

My primary usage currently will be for music.I plan to use the Internet Radio a lot, so would like to know which is better suited? Ie better ease of use? the device will be connected to an ordinary hifi system:)( for now hopefully!) and a 29"crt for navigation ( Will upgrade to an LCD later, and hence will shift all my Hidef stuff of my computer+24" panel)

Also, I've tried searching the net for screens of the Internet radio interface of the PlayOn!, can't seem to find any.. If someone has some, pl do post! :)
hence, in short, which of the two will be better suited for my needs?

1) Easy to use interface for internet radio
2) Ability to manually add a radio station, ie like a friends stream.
3) Quick launch/favorites for internet radio
Optional
1) Play music without having to switch on the display?
Thanks!

Unfortunately you are looking at a wrong alternative, POHD is primarily a video media player, Internet radio is just an added advantage but not its strengths. The interphase is boaring and clumsy. You have the option of adding a Radio station manually but, you gotta type the full URL!, and 4/10 times it wont connect. Automatic search based on Genre works best. The most irritating part is .... you loose favs once the player turned off....:mad:
So its a no go from my end IF and AFA internet radio is concerned. Plus you cannot play without the display, you would not be able to navigate without it, however yes once it starts playing you can switch off the display.

Anyway squeezebox is THE best solution if Internet radio is prime concern as suggested by Chaos as well. Search the forum and you would get quite a few threads regarding the same including one from mine where in I suggest couple of similar devices.

Last edited:
noob here . but read up most things on all the players. thanks for all the wonderful and useful information from the discussions. :)

so getting right to it - how come no one talks about the mede8er vs the POHD? especially since apples to apples , they both are same as a physical device (afaik) and other differences are all being upgraded by both via firmware updates.
Mede8ter VS PlayON!HD - Page 2 - MPC Club Community Board

But essentially (regardless of the firmware update race from either companies on common features) the UI from the mede8er looks much cleaner and nicer. and recent firmware upgrade to v3 lists some v user friendly features such as watched, etc... this is in addition to other potential updates for yamj etc.

q1. So is there any India specific angle that no one here has considered mede8er instead of acryan ( given that acryan is available from blr itself in india )
q2. any one know where to get the mede8er in India. i have read that it is 12k but that may be info from a few months ago.

any one?

TIA
Cheers,
Sithon

Hmm - so no one in our land likes or doesnt buy the mede8er? :) supposedly they too have added YAMJ support just a few days ago.
Any takers or comments please?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Sithon

Can anyone comment on the internet functionality of PlayOn? Can it play any video stream from internet or just from selected sites?

I want to purchase a media player to watch video streams. Can anyone suggest any?

Can anyone comment on the internet functionality of PlayOn? Can it play any video stream from internet or just from selected sites?

I want to purchase a media player to watch video streams. Can anyone suggest any?

I dont think it can play streams from any source. Secondly, youtube which was there in this as well as other players has been removed from all due to some dispute with google.

@TaureanBull,

Have you looked up Boxee ? Supposedly good with streams (though not sure if they provide YouTube videos ). You can either get the software on top of your PC (or even go for a small linux box and autoboot to it) or you can get a dedicated boxee box. oh - btw you can use your winmo or android or iphone as a remote :) . check out their website for more info and try out the streams today itself on your pc and later decide if you want the dedicated box! Good luck.
HTH,
Sithon

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back