PlayOn!HD Media Player Review

Re: AC Ryan to launch Mini version of Play on HD Media player in Jan 2010

All

Who thought Play on HD Media player is expensive , wait for Jan 2010 .

AC Ryan will come out with a low cost Mini version of the HD Media player .

Cost should be some where to match Extremer player

Watch out for this space ..

But with what features?????? i.e what will not be there in the mini version, but there in the full version.

And I guess WDTV Live supports both HD audios from DD & DTS. but PlayOn supports on DTS-HD-MA.

cheers

Hardware wise some features not available . ( Coaxial will not be there , Internal HDD will not be there )

Firmware wise all will be supported .

Hardware wise some features not available . ( Coaxial will not be there , Internal HDD will not be there )

Firmware wise all will be supported .

Well, in that case the price should be lesser than Xtreamer, matching the price to the Xtreamer is not going to help I guess.

Hi

U can talk to people in AqTronics ( Play on HD Disty in India ) and u will also get the same info as i do

One of my friends wanted a low cost version and this is what i have heard from them

Hi

U can talk to people in AqTronics ( Play on HD Disty in India ) and u will also get the same info as i do

One of my friends wanted a low cost version and this is what i have heard from them

Hi

This is weird. I talked to a guy from AqTronics whose name ( if compressed) matches your id. So, my guess is you are part of AqTronics especially when you are posting information about future product etc. You have cleverly worded your post to look like your are not part of AqT without actually saying so. I wonder why?
To be fair, your posts are generally informative and I think are useful to this forum. I have not seen any posts from you that is inappropriate in any way. :) Since we have people who have declared that they are dealers and still participate in discussions, why not be open about it?
However, if you say that you are not part of AqT, then I take back what I say in this post.

Hi Fellow Members,

Just got the hands on PlayOn HD Mini player. It's a demo piece I got it to test. It's price at Rs.7.7K including all applicable taxes, inclusive of a HDMI cable. Portability wise it's the same size as that of a WD TV, the remote could have also gone a bit smaller in size. Functionality wise it's the same compared to it's bigger version, except we cannot download through torrents, but the dealer claims it'll be enabled in the next firmware. I only tested the device through the HDMI way, so not sure about the other options. Maybe if we let go the HDMI cable we could get it for 6.5K, which is slightly higher than the WDTV Live but lesser than the Xtreamer. So IMO if having and internal HDD is not mandatory for a user, this product is a good choice. BTW this device does not have any internal fans. So not sure about any heat issues over prolonged usage.

cheers.

i am not sure if i can post this question here. anyways posting it
I have a PC with intel DG45ID motherboard ( WIth HDMI interface ).
I am planning to buy Onkyo 3200 HTS.
I have Blu ray rips ( most of them 720p )
Can i play blu ray rips from my PC -> receiver to get the audio
or should i buy the playon mini HD player

pc -> receiver > TV or playonHD -> receiver -> TV
if PC which software player i need to use

+1

Checked for internet functionalities, everything seems to work fine. Tried youtube videos, worked fine. Tried playing files over wired network, played all files without problems.

cheers.

Hi Fellow Members,

Just got the hands on PlayOn HD Mini player. It's a demo piece I got it to test. It's price at Rs.7.7K including all applicable taxes, inclusive of a HDMI cable. Portability wise it's the same size as that of a WD TV, the remote could have also gone a bit smaller in size. Functionality wise it's the same compared to it's bigger version, except we cannot download through torrents, but the dealer claims it'll be enabled in the next firmware. I only tested the device through the HDMI way, so not sure about the other options. Maybe if we let go the HDMI cable we could get it for 6.5K, which is slightly higher than the WDTV Live but lesser than the Xtreamer. So IMO if having and internal HDD is not mandatory for a user, this product is a good choice. BTW this device does not have any internal fans. So not sure about any heat issues over prolonged usage.

cheers.
Thanks for the info Aneel. Can we have some pics please? I love the form factor of your Playon player and am wondering if the mini also looks that good.

Fans are not necessary if the player has a heat sink installed.

Opert(Deepak) and I got a heat sink for our xtreamers from tranquil PC. Opert has already completed the install and is very happy with the results. I am yet to collect mine from him. Link: http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/cooler.pdf

Now even xtreamer offers a heat sink as an official accessory. You can turn off the fan after installing this. Link: Xtreamer.Net - SideWinder

Thanks for the info Aneel. Can we have some pics please? I love the form factor of your Playon player and am wondering if the mini also looks that good.

Hi,

Gimme some time till night today, i'll post the pic of play on min..........if required you can drop in today if you need a demo...........I can hold the piece for one more day if required.

cheers.

Hi,

Gimme some time till night today, i'll post the pic of play on min..........if required you can drop in today if you need a demo...........I can hold the piece for one more day if required.

cheers.

Thanks buddy, I am afraid I will not be able to make it. But yeah, post pics, am eager to see it. Has this been released in markets outside India yet?

Hey Aneel, a couple of us have this Q, maybe you can answer -

Can the mini play via external blu-ray drive connected over USB? I guess the bigger version can, right?

Hey Aneel, a couple of us have this Q, maybe you can answer -

Can the mini play via external blu-ray drive connected over USB? I guess the bigger version can, right?

Hi,

@soulforged:-

Nope!! I guess for any HD media player to accept an external DVDp/BDp it requires a B-Female USB port, the A-Male port does not help. Even the A-Female dosent work I guess (this info collected from different forum's, i've not personally tested with a A-Female port). And the play on mini dose not have a B-Female USB port.

@santhol2:-
Some temp images of Playon mini.
500x_playon_mini.jpg

500x_playon_mini_4.jpg

500x_playon_mini_5.jpg

I'll post my images by night

cheers.

Hi,

@soulforged:-

Nope!! I guess for any HD media player to accept an external DVDp/BDp it requires a B-Female USB port, the A-Male port does not help. Even the A-Female dosent work I guess (this info collected from different forum's, i've not personally tested with a A-Female port). And the play on mini dose not have a B-Female USB port.

Thanks Aneel. The bigger playonHD has a B-port so I guess that would be able to play drives via USB...

Hi,

Just had a chat with the dealer about the pricing, and he's not ready to reduce even a single rupee, not even by let going the HDMI cable. So, keeping this in mind, i guess people going for Xtreamer can consider PlayOn! HD Mini cost wise, but WDTV Live is still selling for a lesser price, so the it's left to the buyers choice.

cheers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back