Please guide - immediate help requested on Emotiva Quote received

Shyamtanu

Dear friends,

I have received following quote from EMOTIVA for UPA200 and USP1 combo. My speakers are Quad 12L2. First of all, what will be your comment on the pairing, the source being Marantz CD6003. Also looking at this, what could be the custom duty if I go directly with them and in case of going with Boderlinx? I never have transacted this way, and your help will be really appreciated. Really counting on your guidance.

Many thanks
Shyamtanu

The quote is as below -

Below is a quote for the products you are interested in:

USP-1 $369.00
Freight $160.26 FedEx Economy
Total $529.26 USD

UPA-200 $299.00
Freight $168.58 FedEx Economy
Total $467.58 USD

OR Together

USP-1 $369.00
UPA-200 $299.00
Freight $241.85 FedEx Economy
Total $909.85 USD

Which option should I go with.. will the custom duty be too much on the combined order?

Hi marsilians,

I am using the Emotiva mini x A 100 power amp for the past 4 months and I should say it sounds very neutral, compared to my Marantz PM6003 integrated, :licklips:

All depends on what pre-amp the OP has planned to use it with.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

The quads need higher quality of amplification, not higher quantity. This pairing with quad and emo might sound a bit too clinical because both are very neutral.

Since you are a Pune Boy,

Bring your Speakers along to my house for a audition of the emotiva USP-1 Preamp and Emotiva XPA-1 Poweramps .

Base your purchase decision after a audition as it would give you a much clearer picture of Emo Synergy with Quad

Hi marsilians,

I am using the Emotiva mini x A 100 power amp for the past 4 months and I should say it sounds very neutral, compared to my Marantz PM6003 integrated, :licklips:

All depends on what pre-amp the OP has planned to use it with.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Can I use PM6003 that I have as pre and use power amp of emotiva? If yes, please suggest which connection (Murali Sir... I did not find anything on PM6003 that is called "line out") from Pm6003 can be plugged to the power amp, as it does not have a pre amp out. My set up right now sounds bit on the brighter side due to the Marantz components. Though I will most probably going for USP-1, sounds too good for the money with a separate low pass and high pass filter which makes component matching so much easier and flexible

Regards,
Shyamtanu
P.S. I am getting a quote of 32K for UPA200 and 40k for USP1 in India, sounds close to the cost including custom duty?

Last edited:
Since you are a Pune Boy,

Bring your Speakers along to my house for a audition of the emotiva USP-1 Preamp and Emotiva XPA-1 Poweramps .

Base your purchase decision after a audition as it would give you a much clearer picture of Emo Synergy with Quad

Many thanks for the offer Sir... really appreciate, will surely do that

Hi shyamtanu,

The Recorder 1 & 2 output at the rear can be used as a pre-out from the Marantz PM6003 Amp. But again using a Integrated as pre is not appreciated. You can build a SSP Pre-amp ,contact Sachu_888 of this forum. The SSP Pre sounds much better than the Marantz PM6003's line-out with the emotiva, and another advantage is you can tweak the sound signature of the SSP Pre-amp by using various OP-AMPs like 2134, 49990 and 4562.

Another suggestion is to go for the X series power amp of emotiva, than the U series. However take an audition before you do the purchase.

Hope this helps

N.Murali

What is the main difference between UPA and XPA 200, other than the capacitance? What difference will it play in terms of sonic signature, from my limited knowledge, the internal looks very neat, mirror imaged signal path, beefy heat sinks and no cooling fans. On another thought, how Marantz MM7025 will fair in comparison? I can think of that as well if the Quad-Emo does not work, thanks for your guidance.

Point taken Sir.. will post my feedback after I do that, will try to do that ASAP, right now bit held up till next Friday :(

I bought UPA-2 (now UPA-200) 18 months ago, customs duty and other local taxes was almost Rs. 8000-9000 then. So be prepare for that. As far as the sound is concern, it is not bright at all, rather neutral almost like water. Preamplifier will add the color or make the difference here, with marantz NA7004 the vocal is pretty forward and with my Audio-GD Fun it is really neutral and like straight line, source file have to be good. EMOTIVA is real huge in size and heavy in weight.

Selected USP-1 and XPA-200, but due to a family emergency, the purchase postponed, will update once things are back on track. Thanks all

Regards,
Shyamtanu

Back