Please help for settling up my first stereo system

pareshbararia

Hi Guys!!

Foremost, have been guilty of being a leach for almost 2 years now, browsing the minds of you audiophiles!! Took a step of writing after I almost banged my head to finalize my streo system.

This is for my lobby for which I have to have an opinion from you guys (my ears come later!!) so that I do not repeat my mistakes (indulged in too much Onkyo in my past!!)

Room Size : Sitting 23 ft x 15 ft (Irregular with openings and french windows on two sides); Though area is extended to 33ft x 18 ft.

Budget : 70-80k including AMP, Speakers and CDP

Am in New Delhi and would like to hear from you guys what best combination suggested for AMP+Speakers+CDP and prices thereof.

Have audiotioned Marantz 7003 + Wharf 9.2 and with MA BR5 and found them good.

Music preference mainly Rock! And I do not like too much bright sounds. However I would certainly like the system to fill the room when my friends come over and we do shake a leg at times!!

Please help!!

Hi:

Welcome to HFV!

For such a large room, I'd lean mostly on a FS than a BS; to fill with music and for the low-end oomph, to shake your legs, that is.

Now, the PM7003 is a stonking amp, you can pick that. CDp could be a CD6003 or even the matching CD7003, both are excellent. Since brightness is not your cup of T, forget the BR5; could be forward in presentation. A more warm speaker could be Diamond 9.5/9.6/10.5 - matches well with Marantz gear.

Ok, since you're in the audition mode, please also hear the new MA BX5 and the new KEF Q series, before taking the plunge.

:)

Thanks Vinod!

Indded FS is the right option, but problem with FS is : 1) My wife:eek: ! She says no to FS as they are obnoxious to her! 2) Its a low sitting area, our ear levels are much below than 2-3 feet! 3) The irregularilty of the room cannot find the perfect V shape for the 2 speakers and the sitting area.

Can you suggest any BS that can really take off, and suit my requirements?
Wharf 9.2 (or probably 10.2) are only options that come to my mind!

Can you suggest any BS that can really take off, and suit my requirements?

Well, I think you need a BS which can produce good amount of bass to fill your area and also to shake your legs! You can consider going for 9.2 + a sub.

Also, audition MA RX1/RX2, could be expensive, but has prodigious bass.

Paresh, If you go for bookshelves, how do you plan to place them? If you literally keep them on bookshelves, you may make your wife happy, as it occupies no floor space. But the best way is to keep it on stands(standmounts as bookshelf speakers are other wise called) and that way it would take equal space as floorstanders.
Why dont you take a look at Quad speakers if you dont like bright highs?

Hi Paresh,

Pl audition Mordaunt Short Aviano-2 Bookshelf speaker , it has lot of bass and pairs well with Marantz amps and needs a good source.

N.Murali

Thanks! Dunno about PSB having anyone in Delhi except Mumbai. Can you suggest where can I audition here in Delhi?

Lakozy Delhi
Audio Nirvana,
A-70, Lajpat Nagar-II,
New Delhi- 110 024
Tel: 011 4683 8373

Email: [email protected]

Shitij Khattar : +91 95603 22000
Ashish Kesarwani : +91 99100 41260 (HFV member)

Contact Ashish our forum member can help you audition them..

Well, I think you need a BS which can produce good amount of bass to fill your area and also to shake your legs! You can consider going for 9.2 + a sub.

Also, audition MA RX1/RX2, could be expensive, but has prodigious bass.

Thanks Vinod!
Can u suggest a sub with 9.2?
MA RX1/RX2 how costly will they be?
In Delhi MA BR5 are for 45k for pair.

Lakozy Delhi
Audio Nirvana,
A-70, Lajpat Nagar-II,
New Delhi- 110 024
Tel: 011 4683 8373

Email: [email protected]

Shitij Khattar : +91 95603 22000
Ashish Kesarwani : +91 99100 41260 (HFV member)

Contact Ashish our forum member can help you audition them..

Thanks Kittu!
Shall definately go and audition and post!
Never thought such forums can be so useful!!

Paresh, If you go for bookshelves, how do you plan to place them? If you literally keep them on bookshelves, you may make your wife happy, as it occupies no floor space. But the best way is to keep it on stands(standmounts as bookshelf speakers are other wise called) and that way it would take equal space as floorstanders.
Why dont you take a look at Quad speakers if you dont like bright highs?

Hi!
I agree about the space. But then she has agreed to revamp our two chesters to make space down below (21") and with a small wooden stand about 5" high, the 9.2 (15" tall) can be placed without disturbing the basic topography of the room!! However, I am in process of convincing her for the FS with again such ingenious arrangement!

Quad in Delhi is with Danny isn't it? But he never offered me one. Shall enquire again.

Hi Paresh,

Pl audition Mordaunt Short Aviano-2 Bookshelf speaker , it has lot of bass and pairs well with Marantz amps and needs a good source.

N.Murali

Thanks Murali Sir!
Shall definately audition them and post!
Will Marantz CD6003/7003 as a source good for them?

I have a question!
Marantz PM 8003 vs Marantz PM7003!
Is 8003 value for money? (even though it will stretch my budget!)

Hi!
I agree about the space. But then she has agreed to revamp our two chesters to make space down below (21") and with a small wooden stand about 5" high, the 9.2 (15" tall) can be placed without disturbing the basic topography of the room!! However, I am in process of convincing her for the FS with again such ingenious arrangement!

Quad in Delhi is with Danny isn't it? But he never offered me one. Shall enquire again.
If you are keeping the speakers inside a shelf, you better look at front ported models.

I really doubt that a pair of regular BS speakers would let you have that rock party in your large room.
You would need one of the following:
  • A pair of meaty FS
  • BS with powered woofers
  • A good matching BS/Sub combo

Wharfedale/Marantz is a nice, warm and relaxed combo. Given your requirements, it does not seem to be the one made for you.
NAD+PSB combo seems to suite you better. DefTech has some emphatic BS speakers, but check your budget.
If you can get a pair of discontinued PowerMonitor 900/700 (with powered woofers) at a discounted price, it might do the trick for you. These monitors can be placed any way you want. They also have some wife friendly stuff under the Mythos range.

A pair of RS1 + the Silver RSW12 sub from MA would also be worth an audition. Please note that the 2010 models from MA (Rx and Bx ranges) are a bit brighter and less warm.

Thanks,
Sharad

If you have a budget of like 80k, I would recommend spending about 30k on the receiver and 5-10k on the DVD player, and the rest on the speakers (preferably FS).

For the receiver, Marantz 5003 and up is fine.

For FS, at least MA BR5 and above, preferably the silver series. In bookshelves, RX1 or up.

Or, Polk RTi A7 for like 50k or so. or A5 for about 40k or so.

You can try Bass n Treble in Delhi.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back