Please help me choose floorstanders

nitish

Hi guys,
I am looking at floorstanders mainly stereo, but which will double up as front speakers for my home theatre as well. I mainly listen to rock, and my listening distance is approx. 13feet. I have a Denon 2309 av amp.
I have shortlisted the following:
Wharfedale 9.5 (30k)
Klipsch F1 (31k)
Klipsch F2 (41k)
Mission m34i (28k)
Mission m35i (32k)
Polk TSi 400 (29k) &
Paradigm Monitor 7 (43k)
(These are the listed prices, and should get some discount on these prices.)
I know that the ear is the best judge, but the problem is that I have heard all these at different dealers with different room acoustics, henced I need help from you guys.
Thanks

Last edited:
You might want to add the Jamo c605/607 to the set, I found them pretty good in this budget. I think its closest rival would be the Paradign monitor which is one good vfm product as per reviews.

Personally, I didnt like the missions, found the KEF much better the iq70 is also pretty close to your budget.

With your tastes, I would suggest the paradigms. Great for movies and rock !

Thanks for the suggestion. I too liked these (Monitor 7), but the dealer asked me to wait till I heard the Monitor 9 (53k), which will be available end of this month. I'll wait, but these are outside my budget:sad:
But, somehow I am inclined towards the Klipsch F1 and Polk Tsi 400. Both have a good throw and pack a lot of punch, and also are less pricey!!!
Will let you know when I audition the monitor 9

Thanks for the suggestion. I too liked these (Monitor 7), but the dealer asked me to wait till I heard the Monitor 9 (53k), which will be available end of this month. I'll wait, but these are outside my budget:sad:
But, somehow I am inclined towards the Klipsch F1 and Polk Tsi 400. Both have a good throw and pack a lot of punch, and also are less pricey!!!
Will let you know when I audition the monitor 9

I dont think you shld compare Polk TSI 400 and Klipsch F1 with Monitor 7 or 9. @ 53k I would incline to choose a complete setup than just buy floorstanders..... Try audition wharfedale 9.6 (36k) and telome BT 300 (25k) .

If you sure wanna go for Monitor or other brands try getting them from abroad even with shipping they seem to workout cheaper.. Look in crutchfield or some deal websites that you know.

Kittu.....:cool:

While selecting speakers for an amplifier the most important thing to remember is to select a speaker that matches your amplifier in technical aspects especially the sensitivity of a speaker and its power handling capacity. It is recommended to choose a low sensitivity speaker with the same power rating that of the amplifier or a slightly higher power handling speakers with a higher sensitivity. All other things like the tonal quality, sound signature, type of speaker (b/s or f/s), cosmetic looks etc...etc. would be purely a personal choice.

Well my one & the only recommendation from your short-listing is the Paradigm Monitor 7. The sensitivity of these speakers are 91db and the power handling is 130 watts continous @ 8 ohms which is a good match for your amplifier. Also while just listening to music, since the Monitor 7 has two bass drivers, even without switching on the subwoofer these speakers will sound good for rock listening which is your primary choice in music. It's better to choose the STEREO or the PURE DIRECT mode for music listening.

The Monitor 9 is suitable only for amplfiers with high power output (atleast 150 watts minimum @ 8 ohms). Your Denon-2309's output power rating is 100 watts per channel. So I would not recommend this model for your amplfier.

Always Remember one thing while building your setup ..... if you spend every penny from your budget wisely, you can use the left-over money from your budget for buying cables, interconnects, accessories or even an add-on component for your setup.

All the best :)

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Well my one & the only recommendation from your short-listing is the Paradigm Monitor 7. The sensitivity of these speakers are 91db and the power handling is 130 watts continous @ 8 ohms which is a good match for your amplifier. Also while just listening to music, since the Monitor 7 has two bass drivers, even without switching on the subwoofer these speakers will sound good for rock listening which is your primary choice in music.

Thanks Ramesh for the info and advice.
The Polk Audio TSi 400 as well as the Klipsch F2 have multiple woofers (3 x 5.25" in Polk and 2 x 6.5" in F2). The F2 has sens of 95.5db and Polk 91db and are both have 8 ohms impedence. The Kipsch is rated at 100 RMS and the Polk 200 RMS.
Do you still think TECHNICALLY the Monitor 7 fits my bill best?

Honestly all three sounded pretty much the same to me (though I heard them at different places, but with with my own test CD); the Kipsch was however somewhat harsh in the mids.
Have you heard the Mission m35i's? Not heard these yet.

Regards

Nitish

Regards

Nitish

m35i - in my comparison listening, this model sounded less resolved in the mids. I found the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6S (around 41-42K) very impressive but it was well above my limited budget. You must also try Canton LE 170 and LE 190, both will be within your budget. Since u r in Mumbai, head to DN Nagar in Andheri W and check our Alliance4 and Viola. At Allliance4 u will get Missions, Wharfedales, & Mordaunt Shorts. At Viola you should get Jamos, KEFs, Polk Audios, etc.

Happy hunting.
Joshua

one basic que...?? why only floorstanders?? plz dont select ur hifi audio by the external design.
try a bookshelf with a sub.
my advise...monitor audio bronze br2-25k approx and wharfedale sw150 17k approx.
you ll love me for what you get.
also, while bargaining the price, try to add the cables interconnects etc for free/high disc. bulk deals get good deals.

one basic que...?? why only floorstanders?? plz dont select ur hifi audio by the external design.
try a bookshelf with a sub.
my advise...monitor audio bronze br2-25k approx and wharfedale sw150 17k approx.
you ll love me for what you get.
also, while bargaining the price, try to add the cables interconnects etc for free/high disc. bulk deals get good deals.

Thanks pal!
I have a JBL sub PB12 already. Using this with my existing wharfedale 8.2. Sounded very good till I extended my drawing room. Still sounds very good with movies, but for music I need a speaker with a tight and real bass, hence floorstanders.
Have heard a lot about Monitor Audio esp BR5. Unfortunately Monitor Audio is Chennai based and most of the dealers in Mumbai do not have it for demo.:sad:

Thanks Ramesh for the info and advice.
The Polk Audio TSi 400 as well as the Klipsch F2 have multiple woofers (3 x 5.25" in Polk and 2 x 6.5" in F2). The F2 has sens of 95.5db and Polk 91db and are both have 8 ohms impedence. The Kipsch is rated at 100 RMS and the Polk 200 RMS.
Do you still think TECHNICALLY the Monitor 7 fits my bill best?

Well may be the F2 & the Polk might match on the impedence & wattage but there are other things too. Build quality of the speaker cabinet, Quality & Brand of the drivers/crossover components used etc...etc. I am sure these things will be superior in Monitor 7 than the F2 or the Polk and that may be the primary reason why Monitor 7 is expensive compared to the other speakers in your list.

Honestly all three sounded pretty much the same to me (though I heard them at different places, but with with my own test CD); the Kipsch was however somewhat harsh in the mids.

Regards

Nitish

KLIPSCH: Most of the Klipsch models which I have listened personally sounded a bit harsh to me too. To put it in other way they are too forward speakers. It's a bit difficult to match the right electronics for Klipsch speakers.

MISSION: I have heard all the models of the M3 series in Mission. They are just value for money speakers. Saying that I am not against the Klipsch or Missions brands ... It is only my experience & judgement :)

Once again ... my vote is only for the Paradigm Monitor 7!!!

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Well may be the F2 & the Polk might match on the impedence & wattage but there are other things too. Build quality of the speaker cabinet, Quality & Brand of the drivers/crossover components used etc...etc. I am sure these things will be superior in Monitor 7 than the F2 or the Polk and that may be the primary reason why Monitor 7 is expensive compared to the other speakers in your list.

KLIPSCH: Most of the Klipsch models which I have listened personally sounded a bit harsh to me too. To put it in other way they are too forward speakers. It's a bit difficult to match the right electronics for Klipsch speakers.

MISSION: I have heard all the models of the M3 series in Mission. They are just value for money speakers. Saying that I am not against the Klipsch or Missions brands ... It is only my experience & judgement :)

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Ramesh,

Can you tell me where can I audition the monitor 7s in bangalore ? Also if you have some idea on PSB Alpha T1 towers/ Acoustic energy neo 3 please share the thoughts...

Kittu...

kittu, AE neo 3 I have heard personally and found them quite good. Image t1 is supposed to be quite good, but the model may not be available now.

kittu, AE neo 3 I have heard personally and found them quite good. Image t1 is supposed to be quite good, but the model may not be available now.

iaudio ,

I spoke with Raghu decibel he said he can get me both .. He offered me a price of 32k for Ae neo 3 demo piece and Alpha T1 31 k for brand new....

Another deal I have from a diff person is m34i for 24k...

But I am more inclined towards PSB and AE neo ... Please let me know if I can bargain more and 32k for a demo piece is worth it or not?

TIA,
Kittu.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Hi Ramesh

Another speaker that I heard yesterday and was within my budget was KEF C7. It was smooth and nice to hear. How do you rate this one?

Hi Ramesh

Another speaker that I heard yesterday and was within my budget was KEF C7. It was smooth and nice to hear. How do you rate this one?

Well most of the KEF models are extremely good at Mids & Highs performance but their low frequencies performance is not remarkable including their Reference series (My uncle owns one). Since your primary choice of music is Rock it is better to avoid the KEFs.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Ramesh,

Can you tell me where can I audition the monitor 7s in bangalore ? Also if you have some idea on PSB Alpha T1 towers/ Acoustic energy neo 3 please share the thoughts...

Kittu...

Till date I haven't heard the PSB Alpha T1 or the Acoustic Energy Neo 3 buddy :)

You can audition the Monitor Audio speakers at:
ARN Systems Pvt Ltd
#133, 1st Floor, M.M Road
Fraser Town
Bangalore 560 005.
Telephone:+91 80 41459999/41234644

Well most of the KEF models are extremely good at Mids & Highs performance but their low frequencies performance is not remarkable including their Reference series (My uncle owns one). Since your primary choice of music is Rock it is better to avoid the KEFs.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Hi Ramesh,
My shortlist new reads
Polk Audio TSi 400 (I liked the crispness of the sound and also they can go quite low)
Polk Audio TSi 500 (yet to hear them, maybe on Sunday; will hear RTi A5 too at that time)
& of course your recommendation and of many others
Paradigm Monitor 7.
The monitors are not expected till end July, but I'm sure it should be worth the wait.

Regards

Nitish

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back