Please Help me choose good 1080p 3D projector

amanker

Hi friends,
I am looking for a good home theater 3D projector with native 1080p resolution. which should have good lumination and contrast under normal environment. If not possible then I can adjust room lighting and curtains. It can be a 3chip DLP or Lcos ( Sxrd etc). Please mention the price and availability etc.
I already have sony 46hx800 3D TV
Thanks

Ashok Manker

Epson TW6000 (3D) in India offering price tag of 1.05L with bill and warranty.The identical product is Epson 3010 will cost 92K with duty and shipping if procure it from USA but without bill and warranty.

+1 for Epson TW6000. I have the 3010 which is US equivalent of it. Loving it for 3D.

If you decide to go the DLP route, then look at Acer H9500BD. Its also got great reviews.

The HD66 is 720p. OP is looking for 1080p.

Hi friends
First of all, many thanks for prompt reply.
I think you all have not read my post completely.

I want a 3D projector + 1080p native resolution + 3 chip DLP or Lcos

Epson TW6000 (3D) in India offering price tag of 1.05L with bill and warranty.The identical product is Epson 3010 will cost 92K with duty and shipping if procure it from USA but without bill and warranty.
Epson TW6000 is LCD projector. as reviews 3D scene brightness is low and black is displayed as grey.

Optoma HD66 for abt 30k... can be imported via Amazon or bought from Mumbai...
Optoma HD66 is 1 chip DLP and native 720p resolution.. so out of question

Budget??? Want 3D or not??? Which city you live in or live close to???
I have clearly mentioned, I require 3D projector.
I live in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

Waiting for more sugestions
Thanks

Well, then your options are very clear.
LCOS: Sony HW30, JVC RS45/55/65 Price USD -3500K+
3 Chip DLP: Sim2 C3X 3d, Digital projection Titan 3d - Prices by contact only, but be prepared to spend USD 40k+ (in US)

look for the reviews online.

To add more - if you want great blacks - nothing can beat JVC projectors. But they are quite dim for 3D and also have some cross-talk/ghosting issues. If you want good brightness in 3D (very much needed), then the black levels definitely suffer. At this moment in the market, its either go with separate projectors for 2d/3d or choose your poison with a single projector. Just keep that in mind. I would suggest reading up more online and weigh each technology.

Last edited:
You can also consider Mitsuibishi HC 7800D which is available for 2.39L with 2 3D Glasses, Bill and 2 Years Warranty. This product is internationally available for 3000 US$ but without any 3D Glasses, now each 3D Glasses are priced at Rs. 14,900 and after adding the Vat @ 12.5%, Mitsuibishi has priced it really well.

If you are looking at 3 Chip 3D DLP Projectors then consider SIM 2: Model Lumis 3D-S which is available for Rs. 34.25 L with Standard Lens.

Last edited:
PVR Cinemas, INOX and Cinemax Theatres are using Christie's 3 chip DLP 3D projectors. CHRISTIE looks best but they do not have home theater series.

Last edited:
Hi friends,
Thanks for all your inputs.

as per your suggestions 3 chip DLP projector is too costly for me. So I have to drop idea of buying 3 Chip DLP

So. I have only one option left that is Sony HW30ES
which will come with India warranty and bill
and has better review in terms of black level and 3D brightness in its class
even better 3D brightness than its higher version HW90ES
But it will be available sometime after two months as per authorised distributor. And will be priced somewhere around 2.0L

@Manojp.... can you give some feedback on this projector?

All members please advice me on this or any other projector in similar price band.

I haven't seen HW90ES or Sony projectors in action, so can't comment. But the general rundown is this -

If 3D is important, then you may very much like the DLP. So far, DLP has the ghost free, cross-talk free, solid, natural 3D of any other technology. The LCD/LCOS/SXRD does not come close. Another aspect with 3D is the brightness, esp for big screens. So, your screen size will matter too.

I have the Epson, which is LCD. It has very good 3D and brightness. But then I saw Optoma 8300 in action today and it blows Epson out of the water for 3D. Very solid, fluid 3D picture. The 2D performance was also better than Epson.

The LCOS, meaning Sony and JVC will be similar to LCD for 3D and its few notches below DLP. If you see cross-talk in the picture, its very annoying.

On the other hand, LCOS will have better blacks compared to DLP.
Another pro for DLP is the single chip and hence no convergence issue. That results in very sharp picture. But it can cause rainbow effect too. The current 1080p 3D projectors have 6x color wheels or so and it pretty much rainbow less. Today, when we auditioned Optoma, there were two people known for rainbow sensitivity, both of them could not see any rainbows. So, that pretty much takes care of it.

The main drawback with projectors is that we cannot audition them so easily, so reading online reviews and asking others is the only option left. You can try and see if you can audition some of the projectors before buying. If I am going to spend that much money, I will for sure audition it first.

@manoj.p - Thanks for the Optoma 8300 review, especially for the part that color wheel is fast enough to not let susceptible people see rainbows!
Where and how do you get to see these latest projectors?

@manoj.p - Thanks for the Optoma 8300 review, especially for the part that color wheel is fast enough to not let susceptible people see rainbows!
Where and how do you get to see these latest projectors?

Actually Manoj lives in the US thats how he is able to get all these reviews of the latest projectors to us :D...

rshri,

As Rajadeep said, I live in US and fortunately, there are lots of HT enthusiasts around here. I get to see the different projectors at other enthusiasts homes and gets to compare the audio equipment too. One of a local HT friend works at HT installation co and he could arrange auditioning the Optoma at a dealer's warehouse.

Projector Demo

Manoj,

I think audit should not be a problem because several of them who sell a projector will surely give a demo.

While it is a another story that newer model demo's are not possible here because we are mostly offered older models and not to forget the high prices etc.

If one is a regular forum member, he can request a fellow member for the demo of his projector especially if he has managed a latest model from abroad.

To further exercise more precaution, you are right to suggest that follow the online reviews.

V.

The main drawback with projectors is that we cannot audition them so easily, so reading online reviews and asking others is the only option left. You can try and see if you can audition some of the projectors before buying. If I am going to spend that much money, I will for sure audition it first.

rshri,

As Rajadeep said, I live in US and fortunately, there are lots of HT enthusiasts around here. I get to see the different projectors at other enthusiasts homes and gets to compare the audio equipment too. One of a local HT friend works at HT installation co and he could arrange auditioning the Optoma at a dealer's warehouse.
After a bit of googling, I now understand why LCD projectors show ghosting/crosstalk while displaying 3D. Its a LCD limitation that cannot be helped. Because of this, I am planning my next projector to be 3D 1080p DLP with 6X color wheel (within $1.5K). I will buy it end of this year preferably as a Black Friday deal. Will bug forum members for advice and suggestions at that time :)
Till then my 705HD will do nicely!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back