please suggest a budget media for "Dolby Atmos" content

It is atmos clip i guess. Showing as true hd.

Understand it is True HD clip.. But why is your AVR showing True HD + Dolby S?.. I think you have set android TV box output to 2.0, which is why the AVR is using True HD (2.0) + Dolby S to expand it to 5.0

Since you have 5.0 set-up, it should show only True HD & not True HD + Dolby S..

It is in sound auto mode. I am not good at thease settings.i am sharing andriod tv ,kodi settings. If i select movie mode then it is showing as true hd.

Let me known do i need to change anything.Screenshot_20180208-211023.jpgScreenshot_20180208-211017.jpgScreenshot_20180208-211001.jpgScreenshot_20180208-210957.jpg

It is in sound auto mode. I am not good at thease settings.i am sharing andriod tv ,kodi settings. If i select movie mode then it is showing as true hd.

Let me known do i need to change anything.View attachment 25651View attachment 25652View attachment 25653View attachment 25654

Under audio settings in Kodi, if you scroll down, there must be an option of passthrough.. Enable it, if it is disabled...

Under mediaplyer audio settings, i think the current one is fine.. Also try HDMI..

Once you have completed the settings in your android device, restart both (incl AVR) and then play the same clip and observe what is displayed on AVR menu.. It should show only Dolby True HD..

Under audio settings in Kodi, if you scroll down, there must be an option of passthrough.. Enable it, if it is disabled...

Under mediaplyer audio settings, i think the current one is fine.. Also try HDMI..

Once you have completed the settings in your android device, restart both (incl AVR) and then play the same clip and observe what is displayed on AVR menu.. It should show only Dolby True HD..

Kodi passthrough enable. In AVR what sound mode i should select? Pure-> auto or movie-> true hd

At the bottom left corner, you can see the expert mode. enable that. Then Kodi will show more passthrough options. try that and see if it help

My 2 cents on Android boxes - NEVER EVER GET CHEAP ANDROID BOXES, YOU WILL BE CONSTANTLY SEARCHING FOR TRICKS TO MAKE IT WORK BETTER.
I personally own MI box ( Poor updates, but It does its job ). Plays DTS- HD 70gb files through kodi plex
The lowest i have seen shield tv on market was for $149. Check amazon during festival seasons.
Best way to purchase is to go to amazon US website and get it shipped to india. 17k
You can buy mi box from aliexpress. It will take a month for them to deliver. but it has got better pricing. I bought it for 4.5k

MI box 4 is released for china/ No biggie.

My 2 cents on Android boxes - NEVER EVER GET CHEAP ANDROID BOXES, YOU WILL BE CONSTANTLY SEARCHING FOR TRICKS TO MAKE IT WORK BETTER.

I understand you must have had bitter experience.. Appreciate if you can share the models, price, where you had got them from & your feedback.. This will help alert other members..

I personally own MI box ( Poor updates, but It does its job ). Plays DTS- HD 70gb files through kodi plex

It is someone on a budget with BR Rips, who usually take the android box route as they are extremely affordable.. Even if there are no updates to OS, it still is fine.. If they can bitstream HD audio then they should be able to do Atmos / Dts X..

At a fraction of a cost of Blu Ray players, Android TV box does the job..

You can buy mi box from aliexpress. It will take a month for them to deliver. but it has got better pricing. I bought it for 4.5k

The others ones on amazon.in for the same price as Mibox also does what is needed (bit-stream audio) for BR Rips..

Hello All,

(sorry if i sound dumb...)
Lets say we have an android TV box for around 3 to 4k

https://www.amazon.in/Profitech-T96...539030&sr=1-7&keywords=android+tv+box+mxq+pro

i guess we have to connect an external hard disc (containing br rips) to this tv box. Am i correct?
In such case we connect with an USB cable, but not a HDMI cable.
Will it still play 4K video and bitstream lossless audio??? ( i mean via usb cable)

Thanks in advance
Naveen

Hello All,

(sorry if i sound dumb...)
Lets say we have an android TV box for around 3 to 4k

https://www.amazon.in/Profitech-T96...539030&sr=1-7&keywords=android+tv+box+mxq+pro

i guess we have to connect an external hard disc (containing br rips) to this tv box. Am i correct?
In such case we connect with an USB cable, but not a HDMI cable.
Will it still play 4K video and bitstream lossless audio??? ( i mean via usb cable)

Thanks in advance
Naveen

I hope you meant connecting the external hard disk to the Android TV box via USB.. If so, yes..

Android TV box has HDMI out, which you can connect to AVR and set to bit-stream for lossless audio.. Playback of 4K video on Android TV box am not very sure.. But otherwise, it should work..

thank you very much leangoas !!

yes i meant the same.
1. hard disc to android tv box via USB cable
2. android tv box to avr via HDMI cable

Earlier i was suspicious if TV BOX can read lossless data from hard disc via USB cable.
But now i understood that setup works.
Thank you ...

I have the nvidia shield. It’s not comparable to anything in the market today. It’s less than 6 inches wide. The UI is super fast and easy to use. It’s an amazing all in one product. Yes it’s a lil expensive. But it’s worth every dime if u can get it. Rest all the media boxes will be a budget compromise compared to the shield.

This thread is 8 yrs old.. Those days, WD live (or) Asus o play were the only media players once can get..

This is related to getting multichannel on streaming..

It looks like there is no guarantee that budget media players handle lossless audio like TrueHD or DTS HDMA etc.
Unless someone who used them personally can confirm it.
But if BITSTREAM works with Kodi, we don't have to worry I am guessing???

Both of the above threads will not apply to you, as you will be playing BR Rips on external hard disk connected to Android Tv Box..

Few posts above, a member who had Mi Box (An other Android Tv box) confirmed that passthrough works for Atmos too.. So it should be same for Dts X as well..

I have the nvidia shield. It’s not comparable to anything in the market today. It’s less than 6 inches wide. The UI is super fast and easy to use. It’s an amazing all in one product. Yes it’s a lil expensive. But it’s worth every dime if u can get it. Rest all the media boxes will be a budget compromise compared to the shield.

Nvidia shield is nothing but an Android TV box + game controller, which retails for a ridiculous 27K in India.. Nvidia shield becomes 5 (or) more times expensive than inexpensive Android Tv Box'es..Sure it has pretty good hardware & performance.. But, only if you are a gamer..

For movie playback ( BR Rips), any inexpensive Android Tv box (<=5K) will do the job of passthrough..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back