Pls recommend Stereo System under 30K

I see mention of 5.1 system also in this post so thought its imp to post the following.

A 5.1 system off the shelf has every chance of disappointing you for sterio purpose if you are purely into music. They sound good but most of the money is put into making it a good 5.1 system. The design goal is not pure music and that is what we get with a budget HT system.

A 2 channel system is a different animal altogether. If you had x rupees then for an HT that x amount would be spent on 5 speakers but in 2 channel only two. There itself the playing field gets skewed between the two options.

In your budget if your only intention is good music then following are great options.
* get a good used sterio amplifier from a known forum member
* get some decent bookshelves that your budget permits
* keep some amount for interconnects and speaker cables. Don't buy expensive ones but not basic cheapo ones either. Keep around 3k here.

OR

* explore DIY option if you want best bang for buck!
* for amp check the passb1 pre amplifier should set you back by around 6-7k there is a thread dedicated for same you can search for it. This will make you happy for long time. Hard to beat VFM. You can get help from our forum members. This will take care of transparency in your system. One of the most transparent amps I have heard. I have one myself.
* get a used poweramp that has sufficient power around 40-50 watts to start with. You can even consider vintage amps like pioneer, sansui or perhaps some good NAD which are available. Basically any good amp that can be driven using a preamp.
* explore DIY for interconnects and cables search for mogami cables on forum. DAC cables good too for starters.

These are just some options you can explore more.

Best way is network with local FMs and take their advice :)
Hope this given some rough idea.

Hi Logmein

Go for a Marantz AVR and pick a pair of bookshelf speakers for starters...see the thread on speaker list and rates...later as time goes by...you can slowly buy speakers...see where you can purchase the Marantz nr 1504 cheaper.....then go for Cambridge audio bookshelf speakers S30. You should also look at the threads on For Sale by Owner.

Hope this helps...

On a sidenote, do most floor standers provide good low frequency extension (bass response) thereby eliminating the need for a Subwoofer? If yes, then a good AVR/ Stereo Amplifier and 2 FSs will do wont they?

In case you are still thinking of floor standers and a 2.0 system, you could consider the pair of KEF 50s which fellow member SEANDSILVA has advertised in the For Sale By Owner columns. These speakers have a good reputation and may well suit your listening tastes. In case you travel to Mumbai you could arrange for a listening session.

Their purchase price of Rs 20,000 will leave you with Rs 15000 for a good used amplifier and accessories. Sean may be generous enough to throw in some speaker cable.

Give it a spin and see what comes up.

All the very best to you in your search for a good stereo system.

In case you are still thinking of floor standers and a 2.0 system, you could consider the pair of KEF 50s which fellow member SEANDSILVA has advertised in the For Sale By Owner columns. These speakers have a good reputation and may well suit your listening tastes. In case you travel to Mumbai you could arrange for a listening session.

Their purchase price of Rs 20,000 will leave you with Rs 15000 for a good used amplifier and accessories. Sean may be generous enough to throw in some speaker cable.

Give it a spin and see what comes up.

All the very best to you in your search for a good stereo system.

Hai, final price for this FS is 18k only as of now. With the balance of 17k, you would get a used AVR with USB. Just keep on tagging the 'sales by owners'as well as hifiads.com also. Since you have the future plan to upgrade, avoid HTIB as you would end up with the sat. Speakers and SW for all of your budget.

And finally, do not worry about your Budget. As once you start building the system, you will slowly increase the budget to keep on upgrade. So, as a first step, start with a good used system within 35k. All the best

Hi Logmein

HiFi Mart is selling the Marantz PM 5004 stereo integrated amp with 2.1 Boston Acoustics speakers for 33k. Check it out...

Kind Regards

Hi,
welcome to forum,
I honestly telling you, best enjoyment of listening music is in stereo, having good quality dac, amp and speaker.
Initially don't spend much money, first understand the amp speaker then upgrade the system.

rgds
andis

guys, post all the advice i have to admit i was still confused and lurked around the forums reading some more.

have finally made up my mind to get a Norge amp in. either the 1000 Gold or the 2060. except for the extra power, does the former have any other advantage over the latter?

also i am told the 1000G sounds brighter, i would like my sound slightly warmer if anything. but i am just starting out and am not an audiophile so would love to experiment with my first new setup on this budget. bass though is something I am eyeing. can a sub be connected to this 1000G or 2060 later? if that is remote possibility, i am willing to consider used floorstanders as I believe they will provide better lower freq performance? or am i better off taking Bookshelves for the same money?

once i have decided between either the 1000G and te 2060, i guess my next challenge would be to answer bookshelve vs floorstander. and then which model to go for.

Hi Logmein

HiFi Mart is selling the Cambridge Audio integrated amplifiers and these like Marantz are good in terms of performance. You should purchase the entry level of amplifiers and pick up the SX 50s or SX 70s Cambridge Audio Bookshelf speakers.....You will not regret this purchase....

Hope this helps

I have 1 year old NAD 315 BEE with 2 years warranty left from Lakozy.Its one of best entry level amp,please read reviews online.Would be way better than any Norge.If you are interested, PM me.I hope it would fit your budget.Bill,box and all accessories available. I recently purchased Yamaha AS500 from FM hence selling my NAD
-Sameer

Thanks everyone.

Special heart felt high fives to elangoas, efernand1 and rohitmusic who have spent considerable time with me helping me understand what to buy.

Norge 2060 + Millenium Speakers are home. using them with my laptop presently using an ordinary 2rca to 3.5mm chinese cable. first 3 days have been awesome to say the least. I guess when it settles down after the burn in, it might sound ever better.

any ideas on stands? these speakers are presently housed on thermocol stands of about 2 inches big. any DIY ideas that I can ask a local metal guy to fabricate?

Hi,
Congrats on your new setup, hope u enjoy it for many years to come. I too have a similar setup for the past 1.5 yrs and very satisfied.. Cheers

Last edited:
Congrats on your new setup. For stands, please contact our member mamga. His is from Bombay and the best person for stands. :)

Congrats..man..
Day you decide to stop listening to sound and start listening to music, your system would become worth million dollars..

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Special heart felt high fives to elangoas, efernand1 and rohitmusic who have spent considerable time with me helping me understand what to buy.

Norge 2060 + Millenium Speakers are home. using them with my laptop presently using an ordinary 2rca to 3.5mm chinese cable. first 3 days have been awesome to say the least. I guess when it settles down after the burn in, it might sound ever better.

any ideas on stands? these speakers are presently housed on thermocol stands of about 2 inches big. any DIY ideas that I can ask a local metal guy to fabricate?

Congrats buddy...It should marginally sound better when you complete burn-in hrs.....

I have tried book shelf speakers on TV stand, tables and speaker stands... They sound best on speaker stands.... If you have the budget go for a good speaker stand from FM Magma...

if you are DIY person who likes to experiment, enjoy doing it :eek:hyeah: Nothing comes lose to that..:thumbsup:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back