Plz help me to configure Squeeze box touch

I am under the impression that the Squeezebox server on my iMac, streams music from my iTunes folder through the wireless router to the Squeezebox Touch and Boom. But dosen't the Squeezebox server need to be connected to the internet to work?
No, it doesn't, unless you are accessing internet material

(I was very nearly red-faced on this, as I decided to try anm's pull-the-plug test. I did not pull the adsl line, but pulled the network connection router to modem. Guess what? Squeezebox wouldn't work. Ahhh... guess why! My modem is the DHCP server for the squeezebox. However... the Duet controller is supposed to have a fixed IP. Some checking out needed when I'm in the mood!)

Kevian said:
On FreeNAS, if we install SlimNAS, then we can run SBS on a FreeNAS machine.
Cheers. Looks like the way to go for those who want non-pc-based local squeezeserver library. Curious to know how you control the NAS-based squeeze server. Wait... I suppose the web interface works even if the server is running on a different machine http://<NAS IP address>:9000/ right?

red-faced as in embarrassed, as I have said I am certain squeezeboxes only require LAN connection to play locally stored music. :)

I'm still convinced of it. I'm also still to prove it! :eek:

Cheers. Looks like the way to go for those who want non-pc-based local squeezeserver library. Curious to know how you control the NAS-based squeeze server. Wait... I suppose the web interface works even if the server is running on a different machine http://<NAS IP address>:9000/ right?

Thad,

Well, I plan to control the SBS using an android device through wifi (I'll get my SBT in August). The server will run on NAS. And the web interface is supposed to work when you type in NAS IP address.

Regarding DHCP, we can assign NAS, SBT mac addresses on the wireless router no?

Ajay,

I have tried something like this before.....I used PMS server on my ubuntu laptop to stream HD movies to my PS3. Both my laptop and PS3 were registered on my wireless router with respective MAC addresses and I could stream movies to my PS3 while there was no internet. I pulled out the Dataone BSNL line of my WDSL router. So I believe SBT and SBS on a PC/NAS operate in a similar way. The only point I can think of is it might need internet connection to get metadata like track info from Musicbrainz, lastfm, album cover, lyrics etc....other than these I don't see any necessity of SBS pinging for internet...keeping aside facebook, flikr and other web apps.

P.S. As of now SlimNAS works only on Intel FreeNAS builds. SlimNAS for AMD builds is still under development.

I wish I had the Touch with me so I can clear all the doubts.I just can't wait to try it:mad:

cheers!!
Kevian

Last edited:
The Sonos streams local files fine wirelessly even if internet is disconnected (I just did it). No reason why SB should not be the same. I did have a DHCP server (the router in my case) still in the chain and active. Not sure what would happen if you switch the DHCP server off once the IPs have been assigned - technically should still work, but not sure.

All LAN stuff should work without an internet connection. Many commercial LANs may not even have one, even in this day and age!

The squeezebox system will look for mysqueezebox.com but not finding it should not, in any way, affect local operations.

Finally I decided to return my Seagate Goflex NAS HD as it was toooo slow..so I cancelled my purchased as it was in US it was possible to return it then I purchased 2TB Western digital External Hard drive..& now I will go for NAS later on after doing some good homework..Will be getting my Squeezebox Touch on 2nd August..Very excited...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back