polk tsi 400 distorts???

manu4panjab

hello friends

want to know why my polk tsi 400 distorts only when someone shouting in movie or singing in high pitched voice

i give you an example last night i was watching apne and in the song mainu chain na ik pal aave there's a line in it when singer sings apneeee apnneee apnneeeeeeeeee in these words my both polk tsi 400 distorts very badly what to do is it speakers fault or is it av receiver fault what if i return polk tsi 400 to profx and asked them to send me new polk tsi 400 does new one also distorts in above problems :sad:

hello friends

want to know why my polk tsi 400 distorts only when someone shouting in movie or singing in high pitched voice

i give you an example last night i was watching apne and in the song mainu chain na ik pal aave there's a line in it when singer sings apneeee apnneee apnneeeeeeeeee in these words my both polk tsi 400 distorts very badly what to do is it speakers fault or is it av receiver fault what if i return polk tsi 400 to profx and asked them to send me new polk tsi 400 does new one also distorts in above problems :sad:

Are you watching original DVD or Pirated? It could be that the audio on DVD itself is distorted? Are you facing anything similar with any other DVD? What volume are you playing? Maybe the front speakers output level is set too high?

Are you watching original DVD or Pirated? It could be that the audio on DVD itself is distorted? Are you facing anything similar with any other DVD? What volume are you playing? Maybe the front speakers output level is set too high?

i have original dvd and i set all speakers output level by using onkyo automatic calibration and listen to moderate levels like my onkyo volume control is from 0 to 75 and i listen to 40 even if i turn down the volume to 20 or 25 distortion still happens i also give you another example when i'm playing gears of war 2 on xbox 360 in last chapter where we have to ride a brumark i then make him shout or you can say growl when i press right stick but when this happens both polk tsi 400 distorts the av receiver i use is comes with onkyo htib 5100

what's the problem then is it av receiver or speakers or bad quality cables:sad: i just purchased new polk tsi 400 just 2 weeks old and when distortion happens my heart broke they cost me around 30000 rupees for pair

i have original dvd and i set all speakers output level by using onkyo automatic calibration and listen to moderate levels like my onkyo volume control is from 0 to 75 and i listen to 40 even if i turn down the volume to 20 or 25 distortion still happens i also give you another example when i'm playing gears of war 2 on xbox 360 in last chapter where we have to ride a brumark i then make him shout or you can say growl when i press right stick but when this happens both polk tsi 400 distorts the av receiver i use is comes with onkyo htib 5100

what's the problem then is it av receiver or speakers or bad quality cables:sad: i just purchased new polk tsi 400 just 2 weeks old and when distortion happens my heart broke they cost me around 30000 rupees for pair

check the source and the wires - if everything is fine then....lets come to the facts.

Poli TSI 400 (monitor 60) has characteristically high treble output and needs a laid back amp for musicality. With an Onkyo 606/506 i auditioned them for some time - its difficult to listen to this setup for a long time. They are decent speakers but need to be paired well. Also do not use the standard htib speaker cables - get some DAC (or some laid back variety of speaker cables - will cost a bit). The problem is the setup then can be even more harsh on the ears. For HT the speakers will go with the onkyo (give it some time) and settle with a stereo amp for music later on.

check the source and the wires - if everything is fine then....lets come to the facts.

Poli TSI 400 (monitor 60) has characteristically high treble output and needs a laid back amp for musicality. With an Onkyo 606/506 i auditioned them for some time - its difficult to listen to this setup for a long time. They are decent speakers but need to be paired well. Also do not use the standard htib speaker cables - get some DAC (or some laid back variety of speaker cables - will cost a bit). The problem is the setup then can be even more harsh on the ears. For HT the speakers will go with the onkyo (give it some time) and settle with a stereo amp for music later on.

what if i use onkyo 706 with them does distortion reduce if i buy it

what if i use onkyo 706 with them does distortion reduce if i buy it

onkyo gives you bang for the buck at the price segment. I have the 606 myself. It wont help buddy. First get the amp and then the speakers - that's a golden rule many including myself follow. Onkyo 606/706 is very forward and the pairing with polk tsi400 wont help. Try it at any HT shop.

Opt for a denon if you do intend to buy an avr in the future. 1909/2309 should suffice just about it. Don't go for the onkyo series with the polk - would be a harsh forward sounding setup.

...what's the problem then is it av receiver or speakers or bad quality cables:sad: i just purchased new polk tsi 400 just 2 weeks old and when distortion happens my heart broke they cost me around 30000 rupees for pair

Is there anyway you try using a different amp and a CD player and see how it sounds?

onkyo gives you bang for the buck at the price segment. I have the 606 myself. It wont help buddy. First get the amp and then the speakers - that's a golden rule many including myself follow. Onkyo 606/706 is very forward and the pairing with polk tsi400 wont help. Try it at any HT shop.

Opt for a denon if you do intend to buy an avr in the future. 1909/2309 should suffice just about it. Don't go for the onkyo series with the polk - would be a harsh forward sounding setup.

so if i buy denon does distortion reduce and also i don't like bright sound i like warm and smooth sound so denon is best then onkyo you say right:indifferent14:

If your AVR is working fine, it should be able to drive these speakers without any distortion that you have mentioned.

You will need to check if the trouble is with your speakers or AVR.

I presume that this distortion is coming only from your front speakers. So I suggest that you connect rear speakers to the front channels and check if this problem persists. If yes, the AVR may need a service. If not, call Pro-Fx and demand a replacement immediately!

as for the distortion concern i have checked that example in apne and in the song mainu chain na ik pal aave there's a line in it when singer sings apneeee apnneee apnneeeeeeeeee for these lines they also distorts in all of my tv including old one and lcd tv speakers and my other sony two channel music systems so it means does its the recording that cause distortion :sad:

as for the distortion concern i have checked that example in apne and in the song mainu chain na ik pal aave there's a line in it when singer sings apneeee apnneee apnneeeeeeeeee for these lines they also distorts in all of my tv including old one and lcd tv speakers and my other sony two channel music systems so it means does its the recording that cause distortion :sad:

Or maybe now you need to focus your attention on your DVD player:lol:

so if i buy denon does distortion reduce and also i don't like bright sound i like warm and smooth sound so denon is best then onkyo you say right:indifferent14:

see the problem is you have a speaker such as polk (TSI series is harsh PERIOD) - the sound characteristics are forward with emphasis on treble and bass and lesser on mid range though its crystal clear. Now you can only pair it with a moderately laid back amp like denon so as to bring the output to as close as neutral as possible. Something like an Marantz may still leave it forward sounding. Onkyo itself is forward so the combination may not be right. You would be better off with the onkyo.

And btw there is nothign like onkyo is bad or denon is good. I myself have a onkyo 606 for movie setup but am planning a stereo amp for stereo mode.

see the problem is you have a speaker such as polk (TSI series is harsh PERIOD) - the sound characteristics are forward with emphasis on treble and bass and lesser on mid range though its crystal clear. Now you can only pair it with a moderately laid back amp like denon so as to bring the output to as close as neutral as possible. Something like an Marantz may still leave it forward sounding. Onkyo itself is forward so the combination may not be right. You would be better off with the onkyo.

And btw there is nothign like onkyo is bad or denon is good. I myself have a onkyo 606 for movie setup but am planning a stereo amp for stereo mode.

so denon avr 3808 is best for all of my polks speakers and does denon too produce crystal clear sound like onkyo

so denon avr 3808 is best for all of my polks speakers and does denon too produce crystal clear sound like onkyo

bhai please read other posts too......:mad:

What do you mean by crystal clear sound (most people mean high highs and lows).......Denon is good when it comes to stereo and slightly laid back nature of the sound means good pairing with forward speakers like pollk (balances it out man).

Even Onkyo can be acceptable for most people who pair neutral to slightly laid back speakers. You have to hear it out yourself to understand.:cool:

BTW usually a budget AVR can never match a budget stereo amp when it comes to stereo sound.

What do you mean by crystal clear sound (most people mean high highs and lows).......Denon is good when it comes to stereo and slightly laid back nature of the sound means good pairing with forward speakers like pollk (balances it out man).

Even Onkyo can be acceptable for most people who pair neutral to slightly laid back speakers. You have to hear it out yourself to understand.:cool:

BTW usually a budget AVR can never match a budget stereo amp when it comes to stereo sound.

I have paired Onkyo HT-R518 with Polk RTi A3 bookshelves. How do you rate this combination?

don't get angry yaar :cool: i got your point man for bright speakers use warm av receiver and vice versa :yahoo:

one more thing the receiver i use is my old onkyo but when i increase the volume the polk tsi 400 kinda sound thin even when you raise full volume does it means they are power hungry speakers :rolleyes:

one more thing the receiver i use is my old onkyo but when i increase the volume the polk tsi 400 kinda sound thin even when you raise full volume does it means they are power hungry speakers :rolleyes:

hey man i am not angry - i tend to be carried away at times. Just trying to help - though I myself am having a plethora of problems with the HDMI thingy in my HTPC.

What is the rated power output of the onkyo (at 4-6 ohms I believe onkyo rates it right?).

The polk tsi 400 is rated at 20-200W at 8 ohms with 91db sensitivity - which is great on paper. It should go well with any amp delivering 30-40w of power per channel. The onkyo i think can do that (606 in my case so shoudl not have problems driving the onkyo). Problem is at high volume because of the characteristics of the amp and the speaker they may sound harsh, thin bodied etc.

Also check the wires - hope you are not using the wires that came with the htib and using 14-16 AWG cable from a decent firm. Even wires make a difference - my missions seemed dull initially but with change to DAC 14AWG - they became more dynamic and lively.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back