poor file transfer rate from PC to A-400

ragnar83

Hello

I have a popcorn A-400 with a 2TB HDD formated in ext3 and running the NMT applications.
When I copy video files from my PC to the A-400 the rate is only 7MB/s.
Whether through Samba or by FTP I get only 7MB/s.
I'm aware the rate is poor when the HDD is in NTFS, but it's not the case here, the HDD is in ext3.
The A-400 is connected to my routeur in Ethernet (Internet speedtest shows 25MB/s)
My PC is connected to my routeur in Wifi
I find this strange since the A-400 has a Gigabit Eth port.

Any idea that could explain this poor rate ?

Hello

I have a popcorn A-400 with a 2TB HDD formated in ext3 and running the NMT applications.
When I copy video files from my PC to the A-400 the rate is only 7MB/s.
Whether through Samba or by FTP I get only 7MB/s.
I'm aware the rate is poor when the HDD is in NTFS, but it's not the case here, the HDD is in ext3.
The A-400 is connected to my routeur in Ethernet (Internet speedtest shows 25MB/s)
My PC is connected to my routeur in Wifi
I find this strange since the A-400 has a Gigabit Eth port.

Any idea that could explain this poor rate ?

Hey welcome to the forum. I don’t know how to help you out as i have no idea about popcorn a-400. 1st i thoutht it is some popcorn machine hahaha.Let me share my experience on how i recently fixed my slowness issues. First in my PC copying files from one path to another and from PC to external hard disk was extremely slow. I also use a nvidia shield and set up a plex server which was also very slow. Copying from one path to another and from PC to external HD was at 2-5 mb/s. So the first thing i did was change my hard disk and the speed increased to 60-70 mb/s. And also the router i had supported only 100mb/s so i upgraded to a Gigabit router. And even then copying files to external HD which was used as storage device for shield was very slow. Finally changed that as well and now speed is normal. So in my case the major issue was with both my pc hard disk and WD elements external hard disk.

Thank you for sharing your experience. The pb is neither the source nor the target HDD : both are SATA-3 WD caviar green 2TB capable of over 100MB/s transfer. Unless the target has a HW pb, of course. I suspect my upload rate over my wifi, or the Wifi routeur itself. Next step I will connect my PC to the routeur in Ethernet. I will have to move my PC for that but at least I will if the wifi is the pb or not. If it's not better I will bring an Ethernet switch and connect to the popcorn directly. Then I'll know for sure.
Thanks for your help.

Try switching to the 5ghz band for wifi, 2.4ghz is slower.
Otherwise try a wired connection to pc

Hi @ragnar83,
Welcome to the forum. I have not used Popcorn players, but have used ACRyan based box. I had similar issue and later found out that these board while they have ethernet, their speeds are limited. But since you said you tried it over wifi, better try with ethernet and see the transfer rate.

Use wired connection. CAT 6/7 cables and a gigabit unmanaged switch. Most routers ethernet ports are not gigabit ones.

Hi @ragnar83,
Welcome to the forum. I have not used Popcorn players, but have used ACRyan based box. I had similar issue and later found out that these board while they have ethernet, their speeds are limited. But since you said you tried it over wifi, better try with ethernet and see the transfer rate.
Hi jagadeeshwarank. And sorry for this late reply. Yes I will definitely do a test with Eth cables. Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back