Post your latest AV purchase(s)......

Cayin iDAC-6

One more component added... I bought this unit from another HFV member used.
The iDAC6 is a pretty classic looking medium DAC. It’s appointed in a matte, brushed aluminum type finish, with a chrome polished knob and three chrome function buttons.
All in all, I would call it a very classy looking DAC that doesn’t really make any statements one way or the other looks wise. It looks very typical of silver finished equipment.

1632389497066.jpeg

1632389548821.jpeg

1632389561092.jpeg

I too dislike stickers and plastic. The first thing I did on unboxing was to remove that protective sheet on top of the glass. Although I take extreme care with the gear, yet within a few weeks those scratches appeared magically. Over time more will appear. The gorilla glass on the phone is definitely more scratch resistant than this glass. For my choice I would wish that glass on top was not there but Rel had its reasons for putting it though.
It's quite the quandry. Having dealt with glossy surfaces on a number of devices and having managed to micro scratch each one of them to death while cleaning, I am yet to figure out how to clean RELs effectively. The mirror gloss finish on their subwoofers is stunning and I'd be remiss if i damaged it. REL recommends automotive grade polishes/waxes to preserve the finish. Anybody tried this yet?

It's quite the quandry. Having dealt with glossy surfaces on a number of devices and having managed to micro scratch each one of them to death while cleaning, I am yet to figure out how to clean RELs effectively. The mirror gloss finish on their subwoofers is stunning and I'd be remiss if i damaged it. REL recommends automotive grade polishes/waxes to preserve the finish. Anybody tried this yet?
I prefer using wax based dusters , like the California duster.
No hard scrubbing anytime, just sweep across couple of times every biweekly/monthly or as needs arise.

I have a obsessive need to remove these plastic coverings on devices. It is so bad that I have even asked check in counter staff at airports why they had not removed the plastic cover on the bezels of TVs displaying flight info (the looks I received probably indicated something uncomplimentary)

I have removed such coverings in my close friends and relatives houses where I felt I would not be abused/assaulted for this. Yes, I have a problem. When I see a car which is a few years old with plastic covering the headrests and sunshades at a traffic stop I can barely control the urge.

But to the REL glass top under discussion … I feel the glass is harder than plastic is more resistant to scratches, is easier to clean and IMO looks better with no covering. (No, I don’t want to draw parallels with smart phones as they are handled differently)

I know this may become an issue that is as divisive as Covid vaccines, but I mean no offense in suggesting the packaging/covering meant to protect the equipment “from factory to home” all be removed once installation is complete.

It was designed to be just like that. Let the REL bask in its full glory and perform!
+1 to the fungus check and cleaning suggestions.
My younger sibling falls into the same category - kind of obsessive, not compulsory.
Somehow ,my 5 year old tv still retains its masks and charm :D:D.
1632402816703.png

Hi DB, I have yet to find a solution to deal with these scratches despite the precaution. I have now kept it at the back of my mind & be oblivious about it & try to enjoy the sound of the gear.

what kind of covers do you use? I am looking for a thin material made of flexible plastic that keeps most of the dust out. I use one for my printer ( available in Amazon) and found that to be effective. Please suggest on what you have been using.
Hi Vijay,

These are the ones I got made a few years back & they do a decent job. I put them on after they have cooled down after use.

Regards,
Nitin

Attachments

• component_covers.jpg
    component_covers.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 138
  • speaker_covers.jpg
    speaker_covers.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 137
Shall we get back to topic of this thread?
I recently sold my Hegel amp and bought this piece of jewellery. Very pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds and at 20wpc how easily it drives and controls the 83db/1m, 4 ohms bookshelf speakers.
I am in love with my music collection all over again!!!

Attachments

• 265B5FBC-3362-4C3F-9D9F-9F2F71AD79E7.jpeg
    265B5FBC-3362-4C3F-9D9F-9F2F71AD79E7.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 118
Hi Vijay,

These are the ones I got made a few years back & they do a decent job. I put them on after they have cooled down after use.

Regards,
Nitin
The sub woofer cover seems a perfect fit. I too need covers currently doing with the ones that came with the packaging.

It's tailored made by a tailor? ;) What is the fabric material?

Regards
Vivek

The sub woofer cover seems a perfect fit. I too need covers currently doing with the ones that came with the packaging.

It's tailored made by a tailor? ;) What is the fabric material?

Regards
Vivek
Hi Vivek,

The material is a cotton mix with some other fabric and does not shrink. The tailor had taken the measurements, hence the perfect fit. But have kept it a bit loose at the back of all the covers so you can easily put them on.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Shall we get back to topic of this thread?
I recently sold my Hegel amp and bought this piece of jewellery. Very pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds and at 20wpc how easily it drives and controls the 83db/1m, 4 ohms bookshelf speakers.
I am in love with my music collection all over again!!!
Looks beautiful!
Is it a primaluna amplifier?

Hello ,
Recently added a Arylic S10 streamer preamp to Lyrita Pre Pro setup and is quite enjoyable and detailed . I already have a Arylic S50Pro+ in the SS 2 ch system so had an idea how this will sound .

Need for streamer: I wanted a honest all tube set up and having heard the Lyrita Pre-pro liked it very much. I did not have a source for this and since I do Spotify quite a lot due to the convenience and huge inventory of Music to try at a mere flick .

Cost prohibition: Lyrita is a third serious stereo rig and am now quite hesitant to spend any extra. The guilt has set in a big way. Needed some thing inexpensive and at the same time satisfying.

Options:- considered Rpi based systems and similar . I saw Rpi units for sale from Joseph on Olx and was quite helpful discussing the combinations but the costs did increase with customization and there is always something to do ,to add and experiment with the Pi based systems and increase costs . CheapAudio man on Youtube has some good recommendations which I also checked .
However in the end felt the S10 fulfilled the requirement as a simple cost effective solution . Which is IMHO a pi based system anyway/ Chinese version of the same . There is a You tube review which shows the box opened up and suggests similar underpinnings .
Another option was to use a DAC with a smart phone .But was not too convinced.

Sound: Its neutral with slight bass boost and has good detail.Listening is subjective but found performance to be satisfying . It feels a little laid back or mellow. S10 has inbuilt DAC which is quite good. I did not find difference in performance between S50 pro + and this one when using inbuilt DAC . For S50 pro+ I am using external DAC and that makes a difference .

Setup:-Is Straight fwd . Need 4stream app . Was scared that the app will jumble and confuse between the S50pro + and this devise. But both show up smartly and easy to select . Spotify works flawlessly directly as well thro' the app. Remote has good functionality . Over all an inexpensive and robust streamer to consider.
Thanks -

Attachments

• b5489ac5-1e2e-43d1-bcfd-e0313b1b5068.jpg
    b5489ac5-1e2e-43d1-bcfd-e0313b1b5068.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 47
  • d3a0068e-b909-4333-b8b1-cdff9bb15e52.jpg
    d3a0068e-b909-4333-b8b1-cdff9bb15e52.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
You are on a roll Amrut , enjoy your acquisitions. Between you can get the remote probably for 1/10th of what you saved :D

Lol yes, best part is the NAD service center of Mumbai is just 15 mins away from my place.
I needed a pre amp badly, even had got the Yamaha WXC 50 but the soundstage and dynamics where so thin I disliked it within 5 mins of listening.
This NAD was on sale since June for 30k but no1 knew this is a great thing. It is still available for 1lakh plus or $1000 new at someplaces!!!

I thought the guy won't reply but lucky me. Maybe the guy wasn't really aware what a gem is this thing.
The old saying really goes, "heere ki parakh johri ko hoti hai"

DNM STREAMER :
Details at this weblink - https://www.djpundits.com/products/...dise/audio-streamer/dnm-audio-streamer-as-02/

Hello ,
I recently acquired a preowned DNM streamer .
Its a good buy considering the functionality it offers . With an optical out at a sub Rs 10K price is a good price as compared to the options available . A decent DAC provides quite a satisfying performance .
Sound is neutral and detailed. Setup is straight fwd . Many free online streaming apps service this unit like 4Stream , MUZO etc . Feel its like a "diamond in the rough " type of situation for what this offers.
Thanks -

Last edited:
Lol yes, best part is the NAD service center of Mumbai is just 15 mins away from my place.
I needed a pre amp badly, even had got the Yamaha WXC 50 but the soundstage and dynamics where so thin I disliked it within 5 mins of listening.
This NAD was on sale since June for 30k but no1 knew this is a great thing. It is still available for 1lakh plus or $1000 new at someplaces!!!

I thought the guy won't reply but lucky me. Maybe the guy wasn't really aware what a gem is this thing.
The old saying really goes, "heere ki parakh johri ko hoti hai"
Where was it listed?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back