Power cables - am bewildered!

Surprisingly in that thread in Diyaudio, Olson failed to give any concrete evidence for his claims.......... There are many learned and skilled people in the art of switching power electronics in this world for whom such things never matter, because they play with switching power electronics as their part of routine life....... :D

Snake oil lovers

Last edited:
The only thing that occurs to me, as a non-electronics-technical person is to wonder how a power cord can act as an antenna for something that it is carrying?

Otherwise, I thought that we had generally accepted the idea that, if a power cord makes a difference, then there is something wrong with the power cord or the power supply unit. Whether technically correct or not, this latest quote seems to come under that heading.

Tell you one thing though, which should be beyond question: power chords make a difference!

~

Last edited:
No I didn't! I knew what Thad meant.
But I extracted just the quote, not its context, to support another viewpoint of mine. ;)

Yes, nothing adds more spice than a mudslinging match over something mundane or vital as a power cord.

Bewildered is the right word to describe what I felt when I switched power cords. The explanation looks good maybe something that provokes contention but a good one nevertheless.

Well, you and I know that in the context of a high-end system there are things that you can hear that you cannot measure. Measuring equipment is not up to the challenge of discerning very small differences that we can hear. And what audiophiles call big differences -- in reality if you could measure it, they are not big differences at all. They are small and they are subtle.

But look, when we were cavemen out in the forest and foraging for food and theres a mountain lion out there, the slightest, subtlest auditory noise was the difference between life and death. You hear the snap of a twig and instantly the brain can calculate what direction it came from. How far it was. Was it a soft paw? Was it the hard paw of, for instance, a deer?

All of those things the brain can calculate, and those senses evolved over millions of years. The brains ability to discern and perceive far outstrips the ability of test equipment to measure it. When somebody comes to me and they say, "I dont believe in that," I say to them, "It's your right; you dont have to believe it." You can believe your ears or you can trust the measurements; it's your choice.

CAEILIN GABRIEL (Shunyata Research)

If something cannot be measured then it could not have been recorded or played back.

Humans cannot even hear what dogs can hear, let alone bats. And yet, there are microphones and recording equipment that "hear" (measure) what bats hear. The ability of the human ego waaaay exceeds the ability of the human ear.

The above statement is just a piece of marketing nonsense, appealing to the ego of a certain customer base. Carefully aimed bullshit.

It might have been more honest to say something like, we can measure everything, but the measurements are not necessarily relevant or useful.

Last edited:
If something cannot be measured then it could not have been recorded or played back.

It might have been more honest to say something like, we can measure everything, but the measurements are not necessarily relevant or useful.

Also around- we do not know, in many cases, on what to measure ..but yes it is measurable

Thank you. Saved for later. If it does not exceed my understanding, I'm sure that will be interesting.

Should have gone out five minutes ago.... Live music :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back