Power cables

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
Thanks, this is what I plan to order. The AC 14SE. Will there be any issues with grounding?
As I replied in an earlier post, grounding should not be a problem. Every equipment is grounded back at distribution box via neutral. Only when there is a fault, does the dedicated ground kick in to protect humans on accidental touch. In your case since both AVR and CDP are 2 pin/connectors, the dedicated ground is not in play.
If you have a spike guard before the UE, then it will be 3-pin and have dedicated ground to prevent electrical shock.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some cheaper too-

They are 110/120volt compatible. Will they be safe for 230v?

There are some cheaper too-

They are 110/120volt compatible. Will they be safe for 230v?
US connectors are spec'ed for high current inherently because their mains power is 120V
In india, we have 220-240V so the current draw is lower.
Cheers,
Raghu

@raghupb thanks a lot for the details, appreciated.

Now @sunand777 you've confused me furthermore. LOL; My Marantz AVR and amp are both 2 pin.

So final question, will the pangea 14SE work on the Marantz? @raghupb

Now @sunand777 u have furthermore confused me lol my marantz AVR and amp are both 2 pin.

So final question, will the pangea 14SE work on the marantz? @raghupb
The 2 pin is usually for European standards, so it works even if you use the 3 pin cable but, without a ground connection. Which should be fine as the device itself has option for 2 pin only.

For my Marantz AVR the DIY cable with 6sqmm Finolex cables has given me a good performance over most of the other third party power cables I've used, including pangea 14se.

Now @sunand777 u have furthermore confused me lol my marantz AVR and amp are both 2 pin.

So final question, will the pangea 14SE work on the marantz? @raghupb

For CDP AC14. For AVR AC9. As per Pangea recommendations.
Please read these pages:

I could not find any mechanical or electrical specs such as gauge or current capacity on this website.

Disclosure:
As an electrical engineer, I would look for material (conductive and insulative), gauge, number of conductors per core and amperage numbers first.
Then about any other stuff.
The 2 pin is usually for European standards, so it works even if you use the 3 pin cable but, without a ground connection. Which should be fine as the device itself has option for 2 pin only.

For my Marantz AVR the DIY cable with 6sqmm Finolex cables has given me a good performance over most of the other third party power cables I've used, including pangea 14se.

Nothing wrong with thick guage, but there are not very easy to work with.
For DIY power cables here is what I would use this as thumb rule:
Source components (DVD, CDP, BD, DAC, etc) - 1.0 to 1.5 sq. mm per core
Power components (IA, AVR, TV, say up to 400W max power consumption) - 1.5 to 2.5 sq. mm per core
Power components (monoblocks, distribution amps with max power consumption > 500W) - 2.5 to 4.0 sq. mm per core

Cheers,
Raghu

Yep Raghu got it thanks. So basically whether it's 2 or 3 pin male/female, it doesn't matter right physically? This pic is of the back of my marantz AVR.

Attachments

• IMG-20190220-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20190220-WA0012.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 38
Yep Raghu got it thanks. So basically whether it's 2 or 3 pin male/female, it doesn't matter right physically? This pic is of the back of my marantz AVR.

It doesnt matter. You can use 3 pin option with AVR.

I have personally used these power cables and found them to be excellent.

I do hear a lot of praise about Triode wire labs cables.

Just curious to know which model from Triode wire labs you are using and mating component. Do you hear a substantial improvement compared to stock cable?

Thanks

I do hear a lot of praise about Triode wire labs cables.
Just curious to know which model from Triode wire labs you are using and mating component.
Do you hear a substantial improvement compared to stock cable?

Thanks
I was using the 7 Plus with Threshold Monoblocks and was fully satisfied with the results.

Is 7 plus better than Digital American PC?
Many people are suggesting Digital American PC for amps.

Hi Renjith,

I have the following configuration:
-TWL Digital American to Oppo 103 (with LPS from oppomod)
-TWL Digital American to Rega Dac-R
-Preamp is battery powered (Dodd Audio)
-TWL HP Digital American to Plinius SA-102
-TWL 10 Plus to Rel T9
- I also have a spare 7 Plus which i tried on the Plinius, but ended up preferring the HP Digital American. So I use the 7 plus on my AVR (overkill, not really required)

I find the Digital American cables from TWL to be very good (my comparison is only to stock cables supplied with the components). The strongest improvement is on the source and dac. It gives a sense of ease to the sound, opens things up, so that you can increase the volume without feeling the fatigue/harshness.

Also have the ethernet cable from TWL (into the Oppo 103). Can't really tell if it made any difference, as I have not optimized my home network.

Hi Renjith,

I have the following configuration:
-TWL Digital American to Oppo 103 (with LPS from oppomod)
-TWL Digital American to Rega Dac-R
-Preamp is battery powered (Dodd Audio)
-TWL HP Digital American to Plinius SA-102
-TWL 10 Plus to Rel T9
- I also have a spare 7 Plus which i tried on the Plinius, but ended up preferring the HP Digital American. So I use the 7 plus on my AVR (overkill, not really required)

I find the Digital American cables from TWL to be very good (my comparison is only to stock cables supplied with the components). The strongest improvement is on the source and dac. It gives a sense of ease to the sound, opens things up, so that you can increase the volume without feeling the fatigue/harshness.

Also have the ethernet cable from TWL (into the Oppo 103). Can't really tell if it made any difference, as I have not optimized my home network.

Superb, looks like you are a hardcore fan of Triode wire labs.
I do hear from few friends that source needs the best power cable which is against general belief. I used to think like source and dac operates at very low level voltage/current and what is the need for high gauge power cable.

Replacing stock power chord by Triode wire labs on AVR improved sound ?

Thanks
Renjith

IEC is always female, which connects to your equipment.

The power plug connects to your wall or distribution board etc.

The power plug is 3 pin ( in case of Schuko 2 pin with the earth connection built into the sides)

You can use prettty much any plug depending on which one your wall socket or distribution board accepts.

Remember Schuko will require a dedicated distributor.

Sony advices us to use 3 pin or UK 3 pin depending on what your distribution box can take.

Back