Power cables

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
But American plugs plugged into universal socket wired for Indian standard will have a reversed live and neutral wire. So beware. Your equipment will work but some equipments don't like reversed live and neutral.

Hi JLs, I know we have talked about this in the past. I am a little confused. If we look at an Indian socket, the left is neutral and right side is live. Now if we plug a US plug into this, wont the output from the plug remain the same ? Left neutral and right live ? Or does the plug cross the connection inside to make it go in the opposite sides ? I may be asking a really stupid question here because I am missing something.

the plug will not cross connect..

best way is to use a continuity tester ( avbl for Rs 50 ) & a tester in the market and trace the L & N all the way to your amplifier or CD player or DAC IEC Female connector and connect properly...

some people think that its only an AC and Live and Neutral will swap places 50 times a second but thats not a correct thing...

The Live - circuit must make and break ( with the switch ON or OFF ) and not the neutral.

Caution - take the help of a good electrician and play safe.

If we look at an Indian socket, the left is neutral and right side is live. Now if we plug a US plug into this, wont the output from the plug remain the same ? Left neutral and right live ? Or does the plug cross the connection inside to make it go in the opposite sides ? I may be asking a really stupid question here because I am missing something.

Okay, look at it this way: consider the male IEC 3-pin receptacle at the rear of your equipment. For ease of discussion, let's assume that this receptacle is aligned in such a way that the ground pin is at the top. Inside the equipment, the prong on the lower left (as viewed from behind the equipment) is connected to the live. Right prong is neutral. This layout is universal.

If we use a standard US power cord and plug it into an Indian power outlet, the live and neutral gets reversed at the IEC end. So it's good to swap the live and neutral positions of the power cord itself at either male end or female end (only one swap is needed).

The final arbiter is always the gear to be powered. A simple check: plug in the power cord to power socket. Use a screw driver type tester to check which socket of the IEC end of the power cord lights up. Does this lighted socket mate to the live prong? El simplo.

Okay, look at it this way: consider the male IEC 3-pin receptacle at the rear of your equipment. For ease of discussion, let's assume that this receptacle is aligned in such a way that the ground pin is at the top. Inside the equipment, the prong on the lower left (as viewed from behind the equipment) is connected to the live. Right prong is neutral. This layout is universal.

If we use a standard US power cord and plug it into an Indian power outlet, the live and neutral gets reversed at the IEC end. So it's good to swap the live and neutral positions of the power cord itself at either male end or female end (only one swap is needed).

The final arbiter is always the gear to be powered. A simple check: plug in the power cord to power socket. Use a screw driver type tester to check which socket of the IEC end of the power cord lights up. Does this lighted socket mate to the live prong? El simplo.

Ah...this happens because you have to turn the male plug 180 degrees to connect to a universal socket in India because the earth is now on top. I missed that part. Got it, thanks.

Simpler solution is to either terminate yourself or buy a cable made in India.

The US plug cables made in India have the wiring correct; according to the electrical conventions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really depends on what types of sockets you have in your power distribution board.

Universal sockets (like those found on Belkin power strips) are universal and can safely handle Indian, UK & US, but not European Schuko plugs (they have a very different grounding scheme).

But American plugs plugged into universal socket wired for Indian standard will have a reversed live and neutral wire. So beware. Your equipment will work but some equipments don't like reversed live and neutral.

Provided you have correct Euro socket.
Hi, what does a correct Euro socket mean? I need to use a power chord which has a euro plug. Should I change the on-wall receptacle to euro style receptacle and do I need to take any precautions or make any changes in wiring ? Thanks .

Last edited:
Hi, what does a correct Euro socket mean? I need to use a power chord which has a euro plug. Should I change the on-wall receptacle to euro style receptacle and do I need to take any precautions or make any changes in wiring ? Thanks .

See the pic at the top of this page. A Schuko socket has two round holes. There are two grounding pins visible on the bottom and top of the socket as shiny metallic plates.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back