Power cords

p.s. I am a 'hard' core believer in power cords...no snake oil in it at all for me !!
I'm in the opposite camp :)

But it makes sense to me that good plugs and sockets makes sense. Some of the ones in my house are very bad: I don't think they are good for a mixie, let alone a sound system --- although I have yet to find any evidence that the flavour of the food is affected!

All of the new-four-years-ago, "international-"type MK sockets in my house make very bad (or no) contact on british-type plugs. At some point, they will all be replaced with Indian-type 15-amp round-pin, and I will use Singapore-purchased adapters for the UK plugs (of which I have many). The slogan for sockets should be get a grip! Never mind bad sound: they can lead to fire!

All of the new-four-years-ago, "international-"type MK sockets in my house make very bad (or no) contact on british-type plugs.

Thad, the minute I get a power cord that comes with a unit, I snip off the plug, and replace it with a 3 pin MK plug, even for a two pin cable type such as DVD Player, etc. I was getting tired of bad connections. I am very happy with the result. getting you hands on 3 pin MK plugs is a mite difficult, unfortunately as they are expensive. The new 3 pin Anchor plugs are an easily available option that also work well.

Cheers

I'm in the opposite camp :)
I don't think they are good for a mixie, let alone a sound system --- although I have yet to find any evidence that the flavour of the food is affected!

But my dear Thad they do!!

Please find a friendly Tamilian neighbor who insists on stone grinding the chutney and Sambaar masala ( as opposed to using a Mixie) and you will realise the TRUTH!! :licklips:

Likewise please bathe in very hot water from your electric Geezer one day, and next day use heated water from a copper boiler that uses wood+coal fire and discover how deeply relaxing and spiritual the effect is. Compare the experience with how electrically heated water agitates and scatters all your energies in an disharmonious fashion. :)

You must already be familiar with how divinely delicious naturally cool water from an earthen pot or Matka is, compared to rapidly and electrically cooled Fridge water. Or food cooked over a wood or coal fire compared to Electric Oven? :eek:hyeah:

Divinely Yours
--G0bble

Last edited:
:eek:hyeah:

I firmly believe in solar-heated water!
Thad, the minute I get a power cord that comes with a unit, I snip off the plug, and replace it with a 3 pin MK plug,
When you say three-pin, do you mean the Indian round pin, or the British flat-pin?

MK is a good and respected make in UK. Sockets last for decades without loosing their grip. Frankly, even the cheaper ones do! It may just be that the universal socket is an unsuccessful design idea.

Singapore is a good source, as they are about the only other place in the world to use the British design, but also use the Indian standards too --- so decent adapters can be bought there to co-ordinate the two, as well as good-quality plugs, sockets and extensions. Now that so much more is available in India, maybe that is what should be on the Singapore shopping list. It was on mine, last time --- and the resultant bag of bits got me stopped by customs to see what it was!

Last edited:
Thad, the minute I get a power cord that comes with a unit, I snip off the plug, and replace it with a 3 pin MK plug, even for a two pin cable type such as DVD Player, etc. I was getting tired of bad connections. I am very happy with the result. getting you hands on 3 pin MK plugs is a mite difficult, unfortunately as they are expensive. The new 3 pin Anchor plugs are an easily available option that also work well.

Cheers
Two pin or three pin adapters are there and I think they are better options than snipping OEM power terminals. Why you avoid them and go for extreme measures?

I am not so sure if what I said was understood in the correct context;
I was not talking about MX or Adapters.
I was referring to Power Cords - Factory Terminated - going into 'dedicated' wall sockets. Euro Schuoko or US Plug.
I personally use Euro Schuko.
The 'difference' can be 'heard' when the power cords are 'changed' !!

What i was talking about was :-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do try it - some time & let me know what your observations are; Please...

Transparent PLMM2 boulder For Sale | AudiogoN

This is the 'replacement'

I do not use TA - PLMM any more - but when I used then, I really liked them a lot. 5 pieces I had installed & they were nice.

Now, I have shifted to a mix of 'different' power cords - Japan / Turkey / USA / Germany / Denmark / Sweden etc. [These are just the power cords]
I could lend them to you guys for a 'trial' if you are in Mumbai. Just to connect & see, if there is a 'sonic' difference.
It could be an eye opener - rather an 'ear' opener....
No down side at all - listen & then decide if power cords make a change or they do not.

I am off on an audio / demo trip to Jaipur & ND & Amritsar on Thursday & hence can lend them out for 4 days - if some one is interested - do let me know....

Transparent Audio - Transparent Cable Power Cords

This is the Cable I was talking about - Sold in India - Surat has its D & D - so if a demo is needed - do look him up & write to him, I am sure he will send a cable for demo.
Else, many of my friends in Mumbai - still use this power cord & I may be in a position to arrange for it - we are 5 of us that fly on Thursday for the audio trip - so the gear could be lent out - I do think so - at least I hope so....

All NON Believers must try and install these cables & listen - I would love to know what your findings are....just for the Jazz...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have never used this - personally, but it is a good product, I have auditioned it & you guys may try it - may work - may not work....
All said, I suggest that an opinion should be formed only after an 'audition' is done !

I can understand the benefits of EMI shielding on power power cables to prevent 50Hz hum induction into "analog" input signals, but expecting anything more from an expensive power cable vs any generic good quality AC power cable/interconnect is as effective as a voodoo doll to me. Let the discussions begin....

Sir,
Lot of it may be 'voodoo' [snake oil]
However, I suggest that you get a few 'top end' power cords into your house & replace the stock cords - listen & then pass a judgement - if there was no difference, then why would any one make [sell] and any one buy power cords - we would all use the 'regular' [stock] cords that come with audio equipment;
BTW - EMM Labs sells its CD Players with Kimber Power Cords [they are the 'stock' power cords that are supplied] !!

I request you - just install - listen & then decide....

EMM Labs XDS1 SACD player Review - Equipment Reviews - Dagogo

Two pin or three pin adapters are there and I think they are better options than snipping OEM power terminals. Why you avoid them and go for extreme measures?

One; There is nothing sacrosanct about an OEM power cord. In most cases they are just bought out items. Two; the number of connections you make increases, the more the chances of failure. Third: it just does not make sense to have 'convert' a foreign plug to an Indian system. An US plug was made for US, not for India.

In most cases what I have done is to throw away the OEM power cord, and built my own power cord using local materials. In some cases where I do not get the connector at the unit end, I just snip off the plug and use a solid MK 3 pin plug. Solid connections, no adaptors, no spark - the units are happy and so am I.

Cheers

I agree with Venkat and IMHO, I dont think that power cords (-provided they are not scrawny ones that may not do the trick), make a difference. Not to get into a controversy on this though!

SHANTI

I suggest that an opinion should be formed only after an 'audition' is done!

It is very difficult for forum members not living in Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkatta, Delhi or Pune to audition hifi products. Folks living in smaller cities and towns, especially those who do not travel frequently to the metros, simply have to buy blind and hope for the best.

Cheers

I don't do it the minute I get :) but I find it quite useful snip off the useless two-pin connector that comes with most TVs, DVD players, etc and replace it with a normal 2-pin round pin plug. The default pin whose diameter is too thin, half covered by some plastic, can never make a secure contact with Indian round pin sockets simply because the pin diameter is too small for the diameter of the socket's hole, and often leads to sparking, or a device irritatingly going on and off at random. Beats me how such a substandard item is allowed to be sold.

By the way, has anyone used GM 3-pin connectors? link here: GM Modular | Catalog | G MAGIC

The one I found (and bought) is called "Elite" doesn't seem to be listed on their website. It comes in a proper blister pack, and claims to be using solid brass parts, LDS system (whatever that is), and claims of precision engineering. It is made by a company called GM Modular in Vasai (suburb of Mumbai). Cost Rs 44/piece. I have not used it yet but by look and feel alone it seems to be a class above the usual Anchor stuff. Looks more like a Crabtree.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back