DIY Shielded IEC Power Cord

Recently got few more connectors... will be building some power cords as i already have the required cables and other parts.

View attachment 73000

View attachment 73001

Actually i already finished building two power cords...

1 meter

View attachment 73002

View attachment 73003

0.5 meter

View attachment 73004

View attachment 73005

View attachment 73006

soon will post the build progress of other cords...

Superb mindblowing marvellous extraordinary sir # any chance to get 1 pairs power cables ?? Sir

I have done that, fixed an anchor 6A 3 pin plug and plugged in the cable of power amp directly to wall socket, it sounds best to me.
They also come with brass pins too. Use those if you can. One day I roamed the electrical wholesale market and found old 3 pin plugs made in probably the 50’s or 60’s made of bakelite and brass pins for a song. That brass quality is a couple of rungs above of the brass pin plugs available today. The first thing that struck me was the weight. Those have worked the well for me. Old is gold !
Notice those two round gray colored capacitors, below deck? They can do 1.500 Amperes peak instantaneous. Why do I insist on using them now in every amp I build??? Simple. Their effect is readily audible in the overall listening result, with a 1.5 Watt tube amp that draws 91 milliamperes total at idle.
True…..the search for goods dynamics starts here.

Last edited by a moderator:
True…..the search for goods dynamics starts here.
The dynamics of an audio system starts with the wiring used to transfer transient in nature energy. In this thread we we all see fancy connectors, and pretty looking cloth sheathing over copper stranded wires.

We should first of all, before all else, concentrate on getting really great wire to build our DIY AC cords. Instead of all this stranded copper wire we see , how about using silver plated stranded wire, constructed to a military build standard???? What do you think this " m22759/11 " etc., wire recommended and uniquely used is ????? The same wire as used in man-made devices that operate in outer space.

We find over the years, that the individualized silver plating allows for a large wire cross section, without suffering the loss of a balanced high frequency music playback, that thick copper stranded wire alone ......will give us. We can get great bass, and NOT mess up the highs.

Silver plated copper stranded wiring, teflon sheathing.

If you build a supply like everyone else in tube audio, you will never ever approach and enjoy such sonic playback performance. You are audio - lost " along with everyone else " , in the stone ages.

What puts a tube amp design on top ???

Many things. A choke input filter.

Two chokes, neither over 6 Ohms in DCR.

A 20 Ohm or less DCR Power Transformer secondary.

An amp with dual 5U4GB rectifiers, instead of one. ( Mc Intosh's SIXTIES - easily their best ! of all models, dual 5U4GBs )

An amp using only two active audio stages. No coupling capacitors.

Perhaps I have wasted enough time, three years, being modest. I now have a stereo 6005 amp in Missouri, from HFV in 2021 and Hari Iyer has a monoblock KT88 amp in Thane, which represents these performance advances.

People need to experience what I write about, learn directly, and finally............apply and enjoy !!!

If you want a tube amp that does a good low and high end, and be essentially unbeatable, your approach has to change, as Hari Iyer is starting to hear . Someone come on over and visit !!

Somebody .................... has to pave the way.

Jeff Medwin

Last edited:
Thanks Mahi,
Let me finish building all the power cords...

completed 2 more...
0.75 meter
View attachment 73020
1 meter
View attachment 73021
View attachment 73022
few more to fabricate....
I wonder why are you using EU plugs!! Do you have EU sockets in India? Else your earth remains disconnected.

The IE Rules warrant use of IS plugs and sockets that are no way inferior to EU ones. And out here in the UAE, these plugs are banned by law. BS plugs are a must for any electrical equipment sold legally in UAE.

And where is the shield of the cable connected? Is there a piece of the cable to see the cross-section please?

If each core of the cable is individually shielded it makes sense and should be connected to ground. EMI will not enter your system. But is the power network up to the socket protected from EMI? No not at all!!

And seeing earlier photos the seemingly two pin (these are EU plugs with scrapping earth) are plugged into multi pin sockets but not designed for EU plugs. That way these are now prone to EMI and your equipment does not have a ground.
European_plug_and_sockets,_UE_standard,_EU_plug_and_socket_wiring_diagram,_schuko,_french_sock...jpg
That EMI kicks in only at 2kV and above in power cables. That is why LV power cables come without shield and those used at > 3.3kV (line to line) come with individual semiconducting electrostatic shields and copper tapes on each core with an overall shield on the cable.

With those twisted cores inside these low voltage cables it is less likely that EMI will enter through these cables. Else your power system controls with highly sophisticated electronics inside them in substations that are infinite times EMI laden than your home will be specifying shielded power cables for powering them!!! A little EMI can fry the controllers and bring down a city or state or even parts of the country.
Excellent work. Your work looks very professional; mine is very amateurish. BTW, is the shield cut off at both ends as seen in one of the pic? I thought it should be terminated to earth at the wall socket end only and not at both ends.

AFAIK, terminating at both ends will circulate the current in an endless loop) to drain the current in the sheild to earth. The sheild of any power cable should be earthed to make use of the shield and is a general practice for safety reasons.The sheild should be insulated within the socket to avoid touching other conductors. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly.... I thought of writing the same.

Single point earthing of shields is always recommended in single core power cables so that there is no shield current to heat the shield, in turn the cable and reduce it's ampacity. But in this case with L & N and PE twisted in the return current is carried through N that effectively cancels any induction by the current in L. Would shield have any specific function especially in LV? What is the EMI level in an average home?

And how are you going to ward off EMI entering the fuse box of the house or injected by the PC or any inverter operated equipment like oven or washing machine?
Any one compared same power cable with shielding connected to ground and sheilding not connected to ground at all, can be interesting, what do you prefer?
If you don't connect shield to ground it will be just doing nothing.

Moderator's note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multi-quote multiple messages in a single post to reduce clutter.

I wonder why are you using EU plugs!! Do you have EU sockets in India? Else your earth remains disconnected.

The IE Rules warrant use of IS plugs and sockets that are no way inferior to EU ones. And out here in the UAE, these plugs are banned by law. BS plugs are a must for any electrical equipment sold legally in UAE.
India doesn't have EU sockets, but those plugs look good :D . The indian plugs look so ugly or maybe we have been seeing those plugs since we were born. I too am guilty of using those plugs. Did it just because they look good.

For the euro plugs I use these adaptors to give earth connection.
These I did DIY. I think these are american plugs but i'm not sure. They have the earth pin.
cable1.jpg
Exactly.... I thought of writing the same.

Single point earthing of shields is always recommended in single core power cables so that there is no shield current to heat the shield, in turn the cable and reduce it's ampacity. But in this case with L & N and PE twisted in the return current is carried through N that effectively cancels any induction by the current in L. Would shield have any specific function especially in LV? What is the EMI level in an average home?

And how are you going to ward off EMI entering the fuse box of the house or injected by the PC or any inverter operated equipment like oven or washing machine?
Reminds me of emperor's new clothes. You called it out. I replaced few power cables with these fancy cables (amp, dac, etc) because this practice is getting so rampant and I thought this really must be something. The improvement was zero. Rest of the electrical lines inside the walls, the power sockets are spewing EMI and adding this 1 meter doing miracle with EMI is too dense for me to understand. To me theoretically It is like connecting fancy pipe to a sewage line to get clean water at the end.

Maybe the improvement is so subtle that I can't hear it. But without any professional equipment to measure EMI, many of us are shooting in the dark.

Moderator's note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multi-quote multiple messages in a single post to reduce clutter.

Any one compared same power cable with shielding connected to ground and sheilding not connected to ground at all, can be interesting, what do you prefer?
IF you don't connect shield to ground it will be just doing nothing.
India doesn't have EU sockets, but those plugs look good :D . The indian plugs look so ugly or maybe we have been seeing those plugs since we were born. I too am guilty of using those plugs. Did it just because they look good.

For the euro plugs I use this adaptors to give earth connection.

These I did DIY. I think these are american plugs but i'm not sure. They have the earth pin.

All plugs have earth point.

But is a common mistake after "globalization" and free availability of goods made for one market in other markets, to use EU plugs especially with all sorts of adaptors except this one . ( This is specifically for EU plug to BS socket). You can see the scrapping earth inside that makes contacts with the earth on the plug.1667820343259.png

Reminds me of emperor's new clothes. You called it out. I replaced few power cables with these fancy cables (amp, dac, etc) because this practice is getting so rampant and I thought this really must be something. The improvement was zero. Rest of the electrical lines inside the walls, the power sockets are spewing EMI and adding this 1 meter doing miracle with EMI is too dense for me to undertand. To me theoretically It is like connecting fancy pipe to a sewage line to get clean water at the end.

Maybe the improvement is so subtle that I can't hear it. But without any professional equipment to measure EMI, many of us are shooting in the dark.
Very interesting analogy…..😂
Sure.

No audible difference but I kept the shield connected, just in case its doing something.

Moderator's note:

After trying and building various power cables, I came to one conclusion.. it just makes your wallet lighter.. not that all power cables are same, but if your cable meets specified gauge and stress relief and load bearing quality it should be more than enough. And important, the gauge we use can carry twice the power as many still in USA mindset of 110v! Ours is 230v!

After trying and building various power cables, I came to one conclusion.. it just makes your wallet lighter.. not that all power cables are same, but if your cable meets specified gauge and stress relief and load bearing quality it should be more than enough. And important, the gauge we use can carry twice the power as many still in USA mindset of 110v! Ours is 230v!
110v requires thicker cables. This is because for the same power consumption it will carries double the current. (I^2)*R will be the formula. This means that you have to increase the thickness to reduce the resistance by 4 times. Now the resistance is dependendent on area of circle π r^2 which means the resistance can be made 4 times less by doubling radius (and diameter is 2 times the radius), effecting making the diameter of the wire 4 times.

This is the reason why third world country like India have chosen 230 volts instead of 110 v. It saves huge money on power lines as they can be thinner.

110v requires thicker cables. This is because for the same power consumption it will carries double the current. (I^2)*R will be the formula. This means that you have to increase the thickness to reduce the resistance by 4 times. Now the resistance is dependendent on area of circle π r^2 which means the resistance can be made 4 times less by doubling radius (and diameter is 2 times the radius), effecting making the diameter of the wire 4 times.

This is the reason why third world country like India have chosen 230 volts instead of 110 v. It saves huge money on power lines as they can be thinner.
I'm positive that now, many of us will be looking at our snake sized power cables with a lot of suspicion and probably with some despair. :p

My simple point was.. we don’t need thicker cables as they are “referenced” in the USA…

Very interesting analogy…..😂
It is true and apt. The only way you can clean a sewage line is to put a filter at the end. But putting a filter will slow down the speed of water coming out of the pipe.

Exactly the same happens with electricity. The only way you can remove EMI is to put an EMI filter. But putting an EMI filter at the inlet or outlet from where power to equipment goes will increase the impedance of the circuit and may affect the ability of the amp to suddenly draw power.

IMO EU plugs are unsafe for Indian use. I have purchased many higher end european audio components and the manufacturer simply packages EU power cords in the sale. This needs to be controlled somehow. Neither the govt., the dealer or many times the buyers themselves care. I know how strict EU is on all types of regulations (they pontificate to the world on this), yet they simply turn a blind eye when shipping to to other countries. Shame on them.
Cheers,
Sid

It is true and apt. The only way you can clean a sewage line is to put a filter at the end. But putting a filter will slow down the speed of water coming out of the pipe.

Exactly the same happens with electricity. The only way you can remove EMI is to put an EMI filter. But putting an EMI filter at the inlet or outlet from where power to equipment goes will increase the impedance of the circuit and may affect the ability of the amp to suddenly draw power.
Now that you have mentioned it, which emi/rf filters you think are suitable ?

Now that you have mentioned it, which emi/rf filters you think are suitable ?
SCHAFFNER makes good emi filters for the medical industry. They are good and even have the values of the inductors and capacitors used. e.g.

Indian manufacturers hide the value of components used inside. I use a few made by a company named elcom inside my diy amps. They look like the image below. https://elcom-in.com/emi-rfi-filters/

1667919395503.png

This is the jugaad for EU plugs to wire the earth. The earth pin taken from a Indian plug, takes some effort to fix it straight and sturdy.

View attachment 73032

View attachment 73033
That jugaad pin does not look like Earth pin of IS plug. Looks like one of the line pin. If so is unsafe that you may accidentally insert this earth into Live and your equipment can be "live".

The reason why you have a larger or different shaped earth terminal in any three pin plug is you won't insert it into L of the socket.
IMO EU plugs are unsafe for Indian use. I have purchased many higher end european audio components and the manufacturer simply packages EU power cords in the sale. This needs to be controlled somehow. Neither the govt., the dealer or many times the buyers themselves care. I know how strict EU is on all types of regulations (they pontificate to the world on this), yet they simply turn a blind eye when shipping to to other countries. Shame on them.
Cheers,
Sid
Agree very much. There maybe a regulation too in India making it mandatory to supply IS plugs.

Here in UAE it is clear in the law. Only UK type is permitted to be sold. Once Amazon UAE sent me Australian charger with my mobile. On raising it with them, they sent me a UK charger. Early this year I had an issue when an online store sent me an induction stove with EU plug. Used a proper adaptor, yet my socket burnt. Took it up with the quality council and they made the supplier recall all stoves and change the plug to UK type.

Awareness is missing among the consumers.

That jugaad pin does not look like Earth pin of IS plug. Looks like one of the line pin. If so is unsafe that you may accidentally insert this earth into Live and your equipment can be "live".
it is not clear in the photo. The earth pin was taken from a regular Indian plug and it a little longer than the other two pins and fits perfectly in the typical indian socket.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back