DIY Shielded IEC Power Cord

I have seen someone having them in wood/plywood. Made to specs.
Don't have any details, though

I bought three duplex power receptacles, one PS Audio and two Pangea with Leviton plates from amazon USA. I could not find a suitable box and also did not want to use a metal one made by Havells.

So I used 3/4" mdf wood, made appropriate box, did all the wiring, painted it nicely and covered the back side.

I bought three duplex power receptacles, one PS Audio and two Pangea with Leviton plates from amazon USA. I could not find a suitable box and also did not want to use a metal one made by Havells.

So I used 3/4" mdf wood, made appropriate box, did all the wiring, painted it nicely and covered the back side.
Posting a pic or two would've added more value to the post.

Posting a pic or two would've added more value to the post.
Yeah I know. I did click the pic but it was too dirty to post it here. Also I couldn't get the pic from side.
I have attached that same pic taken from above and other pics.

The receptacles are screwed to the mdf wood pieces and then leviton plates are placed on the top with single screw in the middle as seen in one of the pic.

One pic is from below and there Im yet to fix a wooden piece. At the moment I have wrapped a thick tape for safety reasons.
IMG-20200704-WA0004.jpgIMG-20200704-WA0003.jpgIMG-20200704-WA0004.jpgIMG-20200704-WA0003.jpgIMG-20200704-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
Nice try... you used receptacles like this, screwed them on to the box and covered with plates.
how did you manage to get the pitch so perfect...?

Are the covers stainless steel... looks like the protective film is still intact. :)

I wanted cheaper but better alternative to some of the extension boards available.

All three receptacles are individually attached to dedicated output from isolation trasnformer.

To get the perfect alignment i first placed all the receptacles on the box and then placed the leviton plates over these. As receptacles were from different manufacturers the size was obviously slightly different and alignment was not proper.

To align them I moved around these plates slightly ( underneath receptacles were also moved). I then lifted the plates and marked the holes for screws and rest you can guess.
It was not that difficult really.

And thanks for pointing out that blue plastic film is still on

20200704_154044.jpg20200704_154013.jpg20200704_153951.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
I've contemplated with the idea of making power cords for my amp and preamp... have tried a few things earlier in DIY power cables:
I of course started out with the standard cables.

But, I got interested after reading a lot about people’s experience about improvements from high end power-cables.
One significant upgrade that we can address in an attempt to improve audio quality is to replace the OEM AC power cord.

Building the IEC Power Cord:
Joshua's recommendation 2.5mm^3 (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/power-cables.73911/post-815164) shielded cable from the local DIY store and entry quality wall and IEC plugs (to begin with i bought two pairs), tech-flex expandable nylon sleeve, suitable heat shrink tube.

View attachment 34365

View attachment 34366

View attachment 34367

View attachment 34364

View attachment 34368

Tools used:

View attachment 34369

View attachment 34370

View attachment 34371

View attachment 34372

The point for me is that playing around with different options and listening for differences is part of the fun and educates my ears in what to listen for and expect.

Things to try in the future:
- Using different IEC and power connectors. I found a source for wall-sockets. My main purpose here is to get better connections.

This is how the finished cable looks:

View attachment 34373

View attachment 34374

View attachment 34375

View attachment 34376

View attachment 34377

Excellent work. Your work looks very professional; mine is very amateurish. BTW, is the shield cut off at both ends as seen in one of the pic? I thought it should be terminated to earth at the wall socket end only and not at both ends.

AFAIK, terminating at both ends will circulate the current in an endless loop) to drain the current in the sheild to earth. The sheild of any power cable should be earthed to make use of the shield and is a general practice for safety reasons.The sheild should be insulated within the socket to avoid touching other conductors. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did my DIY shieded power cables recently and was very surprised with the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my own two power cables using 19mm wire and copy of furutech iec both bought from aliexpress.

Wite is too thick and took me lot of time to build two wires. I kept the length about 1.25 M.
I also filled the space between three wires with hot glue where these enter screw holes. This was done just to minimize the danger of any wire getting loose.
The naked end of wire you see on male plug is a shield which will be soldered to earth wire.
20200707_002551.jpg

I made my own two power cables using 19mm wire and copy of furutech iec and male plugs bought from aliexpress.
View attachment 47167

Guys I need some help as male plugs is fitting properly in the ac inlets but female iec plus is fitting quite loose.

I tried on amps, dac, preamp and cd player and fitting was same on all.

Should i be buying new iec plugs?

ABS Expandable Sleeving from hificollective UK will work better than Nylon sleeving
They are more expensive than Nylon but keep resonance effect less in cable
I am using it in all my cables

Any information here would be good. I
I recently bought 2 power cords
1. Soundfoundation mysteciti
2. Mr.Murthy cable

Now checked the Hot/Line wire of the two and both have it on different pins of the receptacle.
If facing the receptacle pins
For cable(1) its on the left pin
For cable(2) its on the right pin

Is this ok. If no which is correct

Any information here would be good. I
I recently bought 2 power cords
1. Soundfoundation mysteciti
2. Mr.Murthy cable

Now checked the Hot/Line wire of the two and both have it on different pins of the receptacle.
If facing the receptacle pins
For cable(1) its on the left pin
For cable(2) its on the right pin

Is this ok. If no which is correct
Use a tester and see which is the Live/ hot end on the wall socket/ outlet and if it corresponds to the pin on the gear. Regardless of the marking on the cords, you may have to swap the wires probably.

Use a tester and see which is the Live/ hot end on the wall socket/ outlet and if it corresponds to the pin on the gear. Regardless of the marking on the cords, you may have to swap the wires probably.

Difference is seen between indian and imported power cords. Does this mean that all imported cords will have to be re-wired

Generally, when you look at the wall socket, the Live is on the right (Should be on the right?) But it all depends on the mood of the electrician at the time. So best way is to use a tester and check which is which and ensure that Live connects to the Live marking on the gear and ofcourse the Neutral and earth. I never bother with the markings on the cables as long as I know they are physically connected correctly.

Generally, when you look at the wall socket, the Live is on the right (Should be on the right?) But it all depends on the mood of the electrician at the time. So best way is to use a tester and check which is which and ensure that Live connects to the Live marking on the gear and ofcourse the Neutral and earth. I never bother with the markings on the cables as long as I know they are physically connected correctly.

Simple wiring diagram of three pin top:
1604892795890.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning to get the Schurter IEC C13 plugs and GM/Crabtree Indian plugs and hook them up with Belden 8477 or 5000 cables. I guess if the device is only 2 pronged, then we dont need to bother about the earthing wire anyways.

Anybody tried the Belden 8477/5000 as power conductors?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back