Power cords

SHANTI
It is very difficult for forum members not living in Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkatta, Delhi or Pune to audition hifi products. Folks living in smaller cities and towns, especially those who do not travel frequently to the metros, simply have to buy blind and hope for the best.

@ajay: contrary to what you think, there is not a single place, at least in Mumbai, where one can audition power cords. At least not in my rather limited knowledge. If anyone knows, please enlighten me too. :) (just make sure that it doesn't cost as much as a Mumbai 1BHK). Ditto for interconects and speaker cables. But one can find all sorts of speakers, amps, a sprinkle of preamps, CD players, AV receivers, etc.

Do power cords make difference? The more I learn the more insight I get, so from 'not believing' it to "there may be some truth in it" I would like to sit on the fence on this one. Here is an interesting debate. I think it makes difference but to powerful amps at high vol. levels.
How do power leads make a difference to sound? - diyAudio
Those naughty humor seeking 'non-believers' read posts #88 & #118 :D

Regarding Indian three pin sockets and plugs. There is no standard in MFG. even by well known brands. As I see plugs from same Co. don't fit properly (Duplicate??). Worst are two pins of cheap adapter of the electronic products. which are either loose or tight. These loose pin contact get intermittent and burn out the thin primary windings of the adapters.
Regards

Ajay and JLS

Even if showrooms provided you that option, its still not the way to go since we are talking about minor difference (in the overall grand scheme of things) and you are much better off listening to it in your own system. If you work with your dealer, I don't see why they cant send you what they have in stock/demo to you to try out. We do that all the time, and are happy to send you regular stocked items/regular lengths. Yes, sometimes we do closeouts, specials, etc which are a one-time sale.

cheers

SHANTI

I suggest that an opinion should be formed only after an 'audition' is done!

It is very difficult for forum members not living in Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkatta, Delhi or Pune to audition hifi products. Folks living in smaller cities and towns, especially those who do not travel frequently to the metros, simply have to buy blind and hope for the best.

Sir,

I agree - 100 % !

Listen, if it is better - buy.

The option exist.

a]
Dealers have Cables - they will send for demo.

Write to them.
Tell them what you need.
They will send - 100 %

Audience is there in Coimbatore
Transparent is there in Surat

Now, these are 'small' towns & yet they have the D & D'd present.

Just make an effort & a demo will be possible....

However, I have always purchased blind - no one in India ever sold - Echole - Bertram / Silencable / Acoustic Revive etc. So I was forced to buy 'blind' [rather deaf] !

Regarding Indian three pin sockets and plugs. There is no standard in MFG. even by well known brands.

I don't know what brands you have used, but MK is really good. Their plug tops have a small extension that is pure brass with no coating. The fitting into the socket is tight, and I have been using these for 15 years without any issues.

I am looking for some not too expensive IEC plugs. With MK plugs, 3 core, Finolex cables, and a good IEC, my power cords can take on the world. All within 1000 per cable!

MK Plug: 120
Finolex 2 meter: 150
IEC: 730?

Cheers

I am looking for some not too expensive IEC plugs. With MK plugs, 3 core, Finolex cables, and a good IEC, my power cords can take on the world.

All within 1000 per cable!
MK Plug: 120
Finolex 2 meter: 150
IEC: 730?
Cheers

Interesting;
All the Best !

If you do manage to do some 'listening' - kindly post some pictures - 'branded' power cords v/s your DIY Power Cords... I would love to know how it went...

If you were in Mumbai & used Euro Schuko, I would have sent the Echole / Silencable / Bertram etc. to you for 'testing' & 'demo' just to know how they fared.....

:clapping:

heehee you mean this...
BMI CALBES - Oceanic Statement
but they are just seven lakhs twenty five thousand rupees. Aaj-kal itne me kidhar ghar milta hai ? :)
Regards

Sir,
You are 'spot on' !
For that kind of money a house can be purchased;

However, please do try and see it in the correct light.
These products are only used in audio set ups that cost 200K US $'s +++
Else they will not show their traits.
It is like putting a Pirelli P Zero Tyre on a Hyundai I-10 & then stating that the cars performance has not improved.
The Tyre will only show what it can do, on the correct automobile.
Conversely, try and put a MRF on a Ferrari & the result will be apparent in 1 minute - I suppose...

p.s. I am off to Jaipur for an audition on Friday & that person has installed Argento Flow Master Ref Cables throught his set up & the retail price is Euro 140/-K - that works for him cause his set up is 700K ++ in value !!

p.s.s. I did take my Silencable Symphony to his place [last time I was there] & the AFMR just killed my cable in less than 3 seconds. That large was the differance....This happened to me 1st hand....This was just a speaker cable change....:lol:

@ajay: contrary to what you think, there is not a single place, at least in Mumbai, where one can audition power cords. At least not in my rather limited knowledge. If anyone knows, please enlighten me too. :) (just make sure that it doesn't cost as much as a Mumbai 1BHK). Ditto for interconects and speaker cables. But one can find all sorts of speakers, amps, a sprinkle of preamps, CD players, AV receivers, etc.

What wall socket do you use ?
I can give power cords to you - just to try.
Let me know.
:)

If you do manage to do some 'listening' - kindly post some pictures - 'branded' power cords v/s your DIY Power Cords... I would love to know how it went...

Shanthi, I strongly believe in and have spent on an Audire power conditioner that has some power to spare. In my mind, an electronics that is designed specifically to clean up you power supply makes more sense.

All I need is for the power cords to transfer this clean power to the units.

Cheers

Last edited:
Shanthi, I strongly believe in and have spent on an Audire power conditioner that has some power to spare. In my mind, an electronics that is designed specifically to clean up you power supply makes more sense.

All I need is for the power cords to transfer this clean power to the units.

Cheers

Well, I have not used Audire - but I used to use the Pure Power PP-2000 [Canadian] & I found that the power from my wall socket was far far better - just needed to use some nice power cords & the magic was there to listen to.

TRIPOINT ORION MASTER REFERENCE A/C CONDITIONER

A statement reference AC conditioner with no compromises!

THAIS MASTER REFERENCE SILVER internal wiring with mechanical dampening technology

Differential and common noise reduction with our patent magnetic modules

Corrects AC waveforms and maximizes electron flow

IEC chassis connector

Four individual isolated filtered outlets, up to eight components hook up

Harmonic tuning for each individual outlet, mechanical isolation to eliminate unwanted resonances that degrade signal

1" thick custom faceplate

101 LBS OF FINESE, CONTROL & POWER

21" WIDE x 18" DEPTH x 8" HEIGHT

Steinway Piano Clear Finish

AXPONA 2011 SHOW REPORT

One final impression to report: I was privy to an after-hours demo of Miguel Alvarez's (Tripoint Audio) new Orion conditioner and Troy. The A+B session was quite stark.....so stark in fact that my good friend turned around and asked if anyone in the audience was deaf. The Tripoint gear injected a lifelike energy and palpability to the images that was frankly shocking. It was the best sound I heard at the show by a significant margin. Miguel is obviously beating a path into the 21st century of power conditioning. It is no longer a accessory or afterthought IMO. It should be the center piece to any good system.

Received the Orion today, it is a monster, a solid rock and a jewel. I've hooked it up with my Arye CD player, Krell preamp and power amp, and also the Troy. I've listened to 3 CDs up to this moment. Dynamic, 3-Dimensionality are improved, bass are deeper, music are more open and airy. I will have to let it keep on breaking in for a few hundred hours, but for sure I'm enjoying all the improvement as it goes along. Great stuff!
This is from the Tripoint Web Site !
:eek:hyeah:

TRIPOINT SPARTAN SPECIFICATIONS

Finally a statement reference AC conditioner with no compromises!

MASTER REFERENCE SILVER internal wiring with mechanical dampening technology

Differential and common noise reduction with our patent magnetic modules

Corrects AC waveforms and maximizes electron flow

Two fixed power cords for complete ANALOG/HIGH CURRENT- DIGITAL/SOURCES ISOLATION

Can handle over 100 amps of current so it can handle any amp you desire.
(Only the wall and your breaker are the only barriers)

Six individual isolated filtered outlets, up to twelve components hook up
THREE FOR ANALOG/HIGH CURRENT- THREE FOR DIGITAL/SOURCES

Harmonic tuning for each individual outlet, mechanical isolation to eliminate unwanted resonances that degrade signal

Two OYAIDE M1 AC plugs

1" thick custom faceplate

150 LBS OF FINESE, CONTROL & POWER

29" WIDE x 18" DEPTH x 8" HEIGHT

Steinway Piano Clear Finish

This is the product I was talking about;
I have copied & pasted....

I don't know what brands you have used, but MK is really good. Their plug tops have a small extension that is pure brass with no coating. The fitting into the socket is tight, and I have been using these for 15 years without any issues.
Good! I think that, whatever the plug top, the sockets play the biggest part in this, as they will determine both contact area and strength of grip.

As you might imagine, I have plenty of gear with British plugs, and I thought the universal socket was the answer. It has proved to be nothing but a nuisance: even the MK universal socket has been unreliable from new (but who knows? Maybe my engineer bought a cheap lot of rejects, it wouldn't surprise me! :( ).

Shanti, I rememain a "non-believer" although...

--- I cannot argue with your ears.

--- Those who, internationally, write that power processing belongs to the snake-oil dept of hifi do not have to live with Indian power supplies.

However, if I was to pay greater attention to power cables, I would worry about buying American. I find the considerably greater chunk of copper on the prongs of both British and Indian designs more comforting than the tiny ones of the American design. I wonder, also, that it is designed for 110v and not 220v (although that should make it capable of carrying greater current?). I am not an engineer: it is easy for the non-technical to have ill-informed opinions about technical matters.

One thing though... One can see clearly, even from the pictures, that those cables are certainly not as advertised: transparent! :rolleyes: :lol:

@shanti : sir, no arguments with points you have put. As we say in gujju. "One can not get almonds for the price of peanuts." :). But the perceived/real difference it makes should be put against the money one spends. Whatever I came to know or think I know is an audio system is not at the end of the powercord but between power line and neutral line and that contributes to the sonic difference.

Anyway proper noise and RF/EM interference shielding & AC power regulating circuits is also an interesting subject and most hifi would benefit from them.
regards

Well, I have not used Audire - but I used to use the Pure Power PP-2000 [Canadian] & I found that the power from my wall socket was far far better - just needed to use some nice power cords & the magic was there to listen to.

I find it hard to digest that a power cord can do what a power conditioner designed specifically to clean the power cannot do. If it works for you, that is good.

Cheers

In a very revealing system, any change to the power cord is easily audible. The changes can be minor but sometimes are musically significant when you trying to extract the maximum (percieved :) ) out of a system.

None has given a very convincing reason for these audible changes. Whether they are worthwhile changes or not is left for the listener to decide. Many times, the change may actually degrade the sound in purely scientific terms but due to some dependency caused by some (certain) component in the system, this change can be very easily perceived as an upgrade. This one of the reasons why serious audiophiles usually change the cords whenever they change some component in their system.

Whether or not a cord causes an improvement in a system has nothing to do with the cost of the cord. I have seen cases where a cheap and scientifically created DIY cord sounding better than cords which costs $$$ and vice versa.

After having spent the first 1/2 of this year and a lot of money on solving what ultimately came down to be a power problem, I highly recommend the use of Balanced power. IMHO it will do more for your setup than any power cable can dream off and does not cost much.

My power issue was related to a dirty/noisy neutral. I had a Balanced Power Transformer custom made to input 2 Phase and output Balanced Power 115V-0-115V. There is no neutral now coming to my setup. Both sides (hot and neutral) show 115V when one end of the multimeter is connected to either with the other end to ground. The multimeter shows 230V between both.

The 0V is the ground. If you dont have a clean ground, you can use this 0V as a derived ground with no home ground connected to the setup.

Balanced power reduces AC noise by upto 12db (measureable). I have tried PS Audio, Purepower, DIY filters and various others but nothing came close.

You can read more about balanced power on the equitech website:
Balanced Power: The Next Generation

WRT power cables, Siltech's explanation seems to be the most plausible to me:

"Siltech analyzed why big differences appear all over the sonic horizon when changing power cords. Other power cords do emit strong magnetic fields, which end up interfering with the music by direct induction. Siltech revolutionized power cables by making a 100% shielded ac cord. This has a dramatic effect on the music, because no noise is induced anymore into the interconnect cables or the electronic components like cd and amplifiers"

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back