Powering Digione Signature with a Powerbank

Jeet Sethi

Hey guys, a quick question. I have recently purchased a Digione Signature, which is yet to be delivered. I plan to power the clean side using a power bank with 5V 1A output. Would that work as a clean enough power source? I know, Allo recommends using LIFEPO batteries. But, I wanted something that is easy to use and recharge.

About my current gear:
Audirvana on Mac Mini > iFi Audio iPurifier3 > iFi Zen DAC > Audiolab 6000A > KEF Q350

I plan to replace my Mac Mini with Digione Signature for streaming.

What I can assure you is it won't hurt at least.

Going with Li-Ion is a comparatively economical solution. Just make sure to buy 3C rated batteries of a high mAh rating.

Hey guys, a quick question. I have recently purchased a Digione Signature, which is yet to be delivered. I plan to power the clean side using a power bank with 5V 1A output. Would that work as a clean enough power source? I know, Allo recommends using LIFEPO batteries. But, I wanted something that is easy to use and recharge.

About my current gear:
Audirvana on Mac Mini > iFi Audio iPurifier3 > iFi Zen DAC > Audiolab 6000A > KEF Q350

btw , you can still keep Audirvana running on the Mac and use the digione in UPNP mode (Volumio/Ropiee XL). You get to retain the Audirvana remote and interface. that what I am doing...

About my current gear:

You may try with power bank, but it still is noisy. Different power banks will sound different.

Gradually you will replace it with either lifepo battery or a linear power supply in search for a 'Cleaner' sound. I am using allo Shanti linear power supply to power my digione signature.

Thanks @bloredude! This is really helpful.

@amit11 has a good suggestion. Most commercial power banks are intended to just provide juice for charging mobile devices. They use pretty darn average components. Consequently, the power is also equally clean. Poor cell + poor electronics = poor output.

However, to start with you may start with this kit, and this battery. Add a USB cable. You're ready to power your RPI! This should be better than inexpensive power banks ordinarily sold.

@amit11 has a good suggestion. Most commercial power banks are intended to just provide juice for charging mobile devices. They use pretty darn average components. Consequently, the power is also equally clean. Poor cell + poor electronics = poor output.

However, to start with you may start with this kit, and this battery. Add a USB cable. You're ready to power your RPI! This should be better than inexpensive power banks ordinarily sold.
this includes a DC-DC convertor that steps-up the battery voltage from 3.7V to 5V introducing switching noise. IMHO this will be similar to powering it with a 5V power bank.

@zeta
There is no battery for exact 5v discharge. You have to make a decision from available choices. No decision will end up in a net 5 volts. You will always end up with a boost/buck converter.

Even the most sophisticated LPSs have noise. So one needs to make a decision based on how much money one wants to spend on this.

About my current gear:

Also consider an Allo Nirvana psu. More practical than recharging all the time with a power bank. Great vfm in my experience

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back