Prices of Cambridge Audio Amplifiers

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have picked up...A CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A FROM a friends contact!

Sadly it is black but to heck with the colour!

Congrats on your purchase, I am sure the week end would be lots of fun with your music.
Looking forward to your review.
I has bought 650 A from FX entertainment at CR Park two months back.
Cheers

Cambridge Audio Azur 840a = An Average man who has to take care of a family household and a general all rounder :p

I generally prefer all rounder vs crazy control.

Both words do not exude 'excellence/confidence' ..... both fall in run-of-the-mill lexicon ... :indifferent14:

wow the 651a is overpriced to hell just for an additional inbuilt dac (which supposedly even as good as dacmagic) and the 840a is available abroad for 900 usd and its still 70k in india.

Our markets are really yuck!

Unreasonable to expect forign innivation to be had for the same price in India. Why not look for indian manufactured products?

So far from what I'm noticing it's similar to the JAMO avr's sound signature in pure stereo mode but nowhere near as transparent and fast gripping.

Hear the avr next week and your opinion might change. IMO, the 840a should trounce the AVR in every department.

BTW, How much does it cost?

That's what I'm hoping, the amp's about 1 year old and only been played around a total of maybe 3 hours total, most likely lesser. Giving it the burn-in by running it around -40 to -20db since morning today. Cambridge audio's website says it needs to be run for a minimum of 40 hours for burn-in.

My observation so far is very much what the review websites say so I don't expect burn in to make a huge difference (Laid back lows, highly detailed midrange, gentle highs)

The only thing I can complain about is this

Imagine you have a frequency band of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and the jamo avr in stereo mode is around 75% across the board in each band but bands 1 2 are always under lock and key but when let loose are amazing. Band 7 is a little muddy.

Now with the 840a, break band 1 and 2's shackles, push all the bands except band number 6 up to 90% and move band 6 down to 50%.

So that band number 6, whatever frequency that is... is the only sole complaint I can think of so far. It's weakness is very apparant in songs which have content at that band.
Doubt burn in will make much difference, maybe 2% across all the bands.

As for pricing the 840a is now a discontinued model as of 2012 and replaced with the 851a.

851a = 1.15 lakhs
840a v2 (mine) = 70k if you can find one new. Mine isn't new so I got it cheaper from an acquaintance.

Last edited:
Can answer any questions if anyone has said:
Compare vis-a-vis to that of another sterio amp along with JAMO AVR. Considering its cost it should be tested throughly. Your observations will be useful to many of us to have a formal opinion about the amp.

Regards

Core, Whats the CDP/DAC you are using? I think the CDP/DAC is not upto the mark. Try to borrow a CDP from someone and try out. A CA DAC magic can perform real magic in your setup I guess.

If you are using a generic bluray/DVD player, there is not much the amp can do.

congratulations on the purchase man!! the amp looks very tasty :eek:hyeah:

Lol thanks :)

Core, Whats the CDP/DAC you are using? I think the CDP/DAC is not upto the mark. Try to borrow a CDP from someone and try out. A CA DAC magic can perform real magic in your setup I guess.

If you are using a generic bluray/DVD player, there is not much the amp can do.

Burr-Brown PCM1796 on asus xonar.

I've heard it on the cambridge audio azur 740 cd player with dual wolf's dacs too. The burr brown sounds better tbh but yes, I had the same thought, I guess the only solution is a proper DAC and not soundcard but my upgrade bug has been squashed for now :D Maybe next round! hehe

Got a quote of 31500/- for 651A from Mumbai dealer over phone.

Bangalore dealer quotes 41 K for 651A.

Any ideas on who is near the real price since 10K difference made be doubt both ! ( less doubt for Mumbai guy :D ofcourse!!)

Got a quote of 31500/- for 651A from Mumbai dealer over phone.

Bangalore dealer quotes 41 K for 651A.

Any ideas on who is near the real price since 10K difference made be doubt both ! ( less doubt for Mumbai guy :D ofcourse!!)

43K in MRP so the 41K price is realistic, but if you can confirm 31K for new item with bill and warranty, i will travel to mumbai and purchase it :) still cheaper.

Hey, all.. Just a quick question from my side.. Are the Cambridge amps WARM or BRIGHT???

P.S GRatzies on the purchase corElement:thumbsup::cheers:

Has anyone compared the sound signature of CA 650 A with CA 651 A? I think apart from per channel output, USB DAC and Sub out these two are almost same in specs. Personally for me the sub out is a big thumbs up but I think active sub level adjustment from within amp is not there like it is there in my Denon AVR. although my sub does have remote.

Its confirmed now that 41 k is too high. Got another quote at 35k with hush hush conditions but with bill and wty. Would share the details once the deal actually goes through

I'm also planning to buy Amp for my new Floorstanders so if anybody is thinking of Cambridge Audio can join with me so that we can get better price.

I'm also planning to buy Amp for my new Floorstanders so if anybody is thinking of Cambridge Audio can join with me so that we can get better price.

I am looking for an amp to add to my receiver but am not in a hurry...but I want an amp to go with a pair of Klipsch RF-82s... so.. wana know if Cambridge would go well with my Floorstanders...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back