project rpm 1 genie turntable

Hi,

Abhishek Good to hear that they got a good rating (but Am sorry to say that I don't follow or care much for these Mag reviews & ratings :p! )

I did hear them so can say that they are nice for the price that one pays for them !!

Although I seriously wished I could spend more time with them ! but due to lack of the LP's of my preference (cannot blame you for that ) I had to just settle for one song (or half of it) :p ! but whatever little I heard it was enough to give me the hints of the capabilities of the TT ;) !!

Wish to drop in sometime and enjoy more ! if only someone who has some LPs of my choice chimes in !

Regards.

Is project RPM 1 same as Pro-ject genie 2? The review you are pointing to is for pro-ject genie 2!
If they are not same, why would you post review of some other model?

regards

the mag should be called What! hi-fi???

though i've heard that the turntable is a good entry level one. cary audio do pm me with details on where you're located and what you stock. it would be good to know someone dealing in vinyl gear here in bangalore.

regards

hi sreekanth!

we will probably have some more lps next time you come over. will see to that you enjoy your kind of music here.:)

regards,
abhishek.

Hi,

Abhishek Good to hear that they got a good rating (but Am sorry to say that I don't follow or care much for these Mag reviews & ratings :p! )

I did hear them so can say that they are nice for the price that one pays for them !!

Although I seriously wished I could spend more time with them ! but due to lack of the LP's of my preference (cannot blame you for that ) I had to just settle for one song (or half of it) :p ! but whatever little I heard it was enough to give me the hints of the capabilities of the TT ;) !!

Wish to drop in sometime and enjoy more ! if only someone who has some LPs of my choice chimes in !

Regards.

Last edited:
hi anm!

the model is called RPM 1 Genie. So they are the same.

regards,
abhishek.

Is project RPM 1 same as Pro-ject genie 2? The review you are pointing to is for pro-ject genie 2!
If they are not same, why would you post review of some other model?

regards

The RPM1 and the Genie are the same product.
The model is called the Genie in the UK and
RPM1 in Germany.

The turntable has both the names on it to avoid confusion.

but there is a new version of the same, Pro-ject RPM1 genie 2.( also known as MK2 version)
It is slightly different. It has a thicker tonearm. It also comes in 2 colours black and red.

This info has been given by the UK distributor of PRo-ject in another forum.

maybe i missed it - but what is the price range?
Can the parts of it be upgraded (arm/ cartridge/ phono ) ? And would there be any audible benefit of those upgrades?

hi anm!
Project rpm1 genie is priced around 14500. i dont know about the arm but the cartridge can be upgraded to ortofon 2m red. in fact once i saw one prefitted with a 2m red at audio dynamics. it does not come with an inbuilt phono.
Can the parts of it be upgraded (arm/ cartridge/ phono ) ? And would there be any audible benefit of those upgrades?

excellent questions! great way to discover a turntable that will meet your needs. :clapping:

i'm not answering in deference to the dealer who i suppose will answer your questions.

another question - the tech specs at what hifi say 78 - no. What does that mean? Will it not be able to play all records? Will I miss a major portion of records in the world?

Another off the track question - I have some very old records lying at my home town which are like never listened to at least in last 20-25 years. My grandmother says they are old gramophone records. I am not able to go there in person at this point, and there is no one coming over from there to carry them for me.
So I am curious, will those gramophone records work on any TT?

regards

78 rpm. its a type of record that runs at 78 rpm (revolutions per minute). it means the turntable will play that particular speed however, it requires a special needle. 33 rpm and 45 rpm records are the usual type of records and both these can be played with the same needle.

gramaphon records are good old records by another name. there might be 33 rpm, 45 rpm or 78 rpm records. all you'll need to do is wet clean them and they'll be good to play. at least most of them if they havent been destroyed by an unaligned cartridge which is quite rare.

Got the rpm part - but motor should also have the speed of 78 rpm, besides the special needle? Seems this turntable's motor can not run at 78 rpm.
Question - is this correct understanding or can I actually play 78 rpm records on it.
If not, then what all would I miss? Are most records normally pressed at speeds other than 78rpm?

regards

78 rpm. its a type of record that runs at 78 rpm (revolutions per minute). it means the turntable will play that particular speed however, it requires a special needle. 33 rpm and 45 rpm records are the usual type of records and both these can be played with the same needle.

gramaphon records are good old records by another name. there might be 33 rpm, 45 rpm or 78 rpm records. all you'll need to do is wet clean them and they'll be good to play. at least most of them if they havent been destroyed by an unaligned cartridge which is quite rare.

if it says no then you cant play 78 rpm records. well you wont miss much. 78s are rarer anyway. the 33 rpm records are more commonly found. however i think projects come with a 78 adaptor check with the dealer as to which tables come with this adaptor. for future flexibility if required. or check out Pro-Ject Audio Systems

78 rpm vinyls contain very few minutes of audio(7-10 mins) as compared to 45 rpm vinyls. 33 rpm vinyls are the longest and they may contain upto 25 mins of audio per side. they are also called LPs(Long play)

so 78 rpms went out of favour by the late 60's. even those present till today with vinyl collectors will be in poor condition and hence current models of turntables(the budget models) don't have the option to play at 78 rpm.

The project genie 2 is reputed to be a very good turntable. but it has one drawback. It doesn't have a dust cover. Since our country is notouriously dusty that will be a real problem.

does anyone here have a solution for this minor but important drawback?

waiting for the dealer to respond back on cost, upgrades andso on. On the link given above by Stevie, accessories do mention separate dust covers.

regards

On the link given above by Stevie, accessories do mention separate dust covers.

regards

Hi anm,
are you referring to the dust cover listed under the Accessories page
of the Project Website.

That is a universal dust cover which has to be bought seperately.
and it it is jus too costly around Rs. 17000 which is more than the
price of the TT!!!

hi anm, stevieboy, nirrej

the project rpm 1 genie can be upgraded with the 2M red cartridge and you may add the project phonobox separately. both of these upgrades will improve the performance of the turntable substantially.

its not worth thinking about upgrading the arm, better to go for a higher end turntable like the xpression 3 or the xperience superpack.

the genie2 cannot play 78 rpms, using adaptor for this purpose is a tedious job because you need to remove the belt and the existing adaptor every time you change between record speed. the genie2 comes with an adaptor which can be used for both 33 and 45 rpms. i think this is a small drawback considering the price you are paying for the genie. and also the fact that most of the records are 33 rpms as indicated by stevieboy.

dust covers are expensive, so one can be fabricated very easily using acrylic sheets which are widely available. they just need to be glued at right angles to form sort of a box.

regarding the prices, i have responded to anm's pm.

forum friends staying in bangalore can come over for an audition. people love the genie2 for its sound and looks at the price.

regards,
abhishek.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back