PS2 Vs PSP Vs SEGA

tellranga

Friends,
After purchasing my 7.1 HTIB, LCD, Media Player & DVDP(thanks to everybody), I am yet to shop two more major sections (Music & Gaming) to fullfill my dream HT setup.
I am not interested in PC Games. Further, I have to forget the PS3, XBOX 360, Ninetando because of the following reasons,
  • my Budget is only upto 7 / 8 K only,
  • cannot keep spending beyond 500 / 1000 Rs for every Game CD.
  • Heard PS2 games are very cheap (VFM). But PS2 Games cannot be played in PS3 (no backward combatibility)
So the left out option is
  • PS portable(for 8K),
  • PS2(for 6K) ,
  • SEGA Games(for 1K to 2K).
I am sure we can connect all the three device to TV and enjoy ( but unfortunately cannot engage my HTIB, as there is no surround effect / track from these games, have to live with it:sad:).
Having expressed my requirements, finally would like to know the following,
  1. Are PS Portable individual games are cheap like PS2
  2. Do we have a huge collection of PSP games (have come acrossed lots of PS2 games, but very less PSP games)
  3. Are all games available in PS2 are available in PS Portable version also
  4. Can we play PS2 game in PS Portable if copied to its memory card
  5. Are games in SEGA console are fixed and cannot be changed like we do in other consoles by buying individual Game CD's
  6. Is it possible to mod PS Portable like we can do in PS2
  7. Very much confused and unable to decide which one I should go far. Need your help by comparing the pros & cons of the above three.
  8. I am also open for other gaming devices if it falls under 8K.

Thanks in advance.

PSP All the way between , PS2 and SEGA........to answer few of youe queries..

1. Are PS Portable individual games are cheap like PS2

No but hack it and all you need are CSO/ISO files.

2. Do we have a huge collection of PSP games (have come acrossed lots of PS2 games, but very less PSP games)

More than 2000 Titles already available, AFAIK

3. Are all games available in PS2 are available in PS Portable version also

Yep quite a few of them are, but no all, like Burnout paradise was originally a PS2 game.

3. Can we play PS2 game in PS Portable if copied to its memory card.

Good question, only if its Hacked, ..........heck you can play SEGA GBA and Nintendo games as well.

4. Are games in SEGA console are fixed and cannot be changed like we do in other consoles by buying individual Game CD's

I did'nt get your question here

5. Is it possible to mod PS Portable like we can do in PS2

Yes, and its called homebrew

Why not look for an Xbox 360 - If I'm not wrong there is a low end version (Is it Pro??) in the used market for cheap. If you head this way I'm sure you can enjoy the latest games with good graphics & sound as well.

If you can't find something like this - Save some more money before buying a Current Gen console. Current Gen console has already been here for 4 years now, So it's better to get a current generation as this Gen is going to see replacements starting next year.

^^ well yea I agree if you can stretch you budget, xbox 360 is nothing short of Spectacular

Why not look for an Xbox 360 - If I'm not wrong there is a low end version (Is it Pro??) in the used market for cheap. If you head this way I'm sure you can enjoy the latest games with good graphics & sound as well.

If you can't find something like this - Save some more money before buying a Current Gen console. Current Gen console has already been here for 4 years now, So it's better to get a current generation as this Gen is going to see replacements starting next year.

well yea I agree if you can stretch you budget, xbox 360 is nothing short of Spectacular

Sorry for double post ......... damm where is the option to delete your post???

Last edited:
well yea I agree if you can stretch you budget, xbox 360 is nothing short of Spectacular

Sorry for double post ......... damm where is the option to delete your post???

You can't delete it mate, Just edit and say duplicate post

Thanks Sam,
Any specific reason why you rate PSP on top of PS2. ( I understand SEGA is no where near the race)

Simply because of the fact that after hacked it becomes a far better multi purpose PMP then a PS2, and quality of games is more or less same as PS2......
Just go through the application segment of the link I pmed you and you will know what i mean....

^^ well yea I agree if you can stretch you budget, xbox 360 is nothing short of Spectacular
True,
I beleive XBOX360 / PSP3 cannot be modded, Hence I have to play only the orginals. If that is the case I dont think I will buy those costly games frequently. The Console price is not worriying me, only the price of the individual game CD's is a concern.
Whereas in modded PS2, pirated games are available for less than 50 RS. (I dont know about the availability of PSP pirated games )

I shouldn't be saying this but - But an Xbox 360 can be modded to run Home Brew applications and much more.

I shouldn't be saying this but - But an Xbox 360 can be modded to run Home Brew applications and much more.

Why should not you be saying this....modding can make a gadget verstile does not necessarily mean, 'piracy', with PSP being able to play games without UMD is just a small part of Modding, there are loads of other stuff you can do with a modded PSP that is perfectly under legitimate boundaries....

Why should not you be saying this....modding can make a gadget verstile does not necessarily mean, 'piracy', with PSP being able to play games without UMD is just a small part of Modding, there are loads of other stuff you can do with a modded PSP that is perfectly under legitimate boundaries....

Primarily modding is done for Piracy - IMO, However I do agree that getting root access opens numerous options, although you loose your warranty.

PSP as a device was killed mainly because of Piracy, Hence the PSP Go has been released.

Primarily modding is done for Piracy - IMO, However I do agree that getting root access opens numerous options, although you loose your warranty.

PSP as a device was killed mainly because of Piracy, Hence the PSP Go has been released.

PSP Go has been hacked as well......:) .Removing UMD did'nt do much good if you ask me, the route for getting games more or less remained the same.....

PSP Go has been hacked as well......:) .Removing UMD did'nt do much good if you ask me, the route for getting games more or less remained the same.....

That's a news to me - Is that Permanent i.e After a reboot you need run the utilities again. Removing UMD and moving to Internal storage was a good move if you ask me, But what it hasn't done is reduce the game prices. They don't have to press discs, print them, deliver them - But the digital downloads are same price as that of Discs. You can sell the discs so on but not the digital download, Seriously Sony needs to understand what it's doing to the customers. I was looking to pickup a PSP but not anymore.

That's a news to me - Is that Permanent i.e After a reboot you need run the utilities again. Removing UMD and moving to Internal storage was a good move if you ask me,

Well I do not know the technicalities, as I do not own a Go, but yea the new is that it has been hacked, there is a dedicated site for this as well (just for PSP go)

But what it hasn't done is reduce the game prices. They don't have to press discs, print them, deliver them - But the digital downloads are same price as that of Discs. You can sell the discs so on but not the digital download, Seriously Sony needs to understand what it's doing to the customers. I was looking to pickup a PSP but not anymore.

THAT!! is exactly why I am not opposed to piracy to be very blunt....
Look at PC games some of their prices have really come down, and now I do not find it difficult to afford few of them, but for BRs and PS3/Xbox 360/PSP titles there seems to be no end.

true,the console gaming industry has always made more money from the games rather than the console itself.i remember when i got my ps2(older gen,circa ?2003)from the US,my brother in law paid just about 200$ for the console.modded it in chennai,around 2k then.phew.still,so goddamn addictive,the playing experience.

of course,havent sampled the ps3 yet,am sure its quite something to play on :licklips:.still,the games are so bloody expensive!!

brings us to the psp,frankly a big disappointment,till now ;).thanks to sam,suddenly beginning to see the myriad usage as a portable media/gaming console!!

ps2 for me baby,all the way.also,the sheer no of hardcore racing/rallying titles available for the platform,at the price point(post modding),cant be ignored.cheers

For the following reason I think PSP Go is better than PS2 ,
  • PSP is so compact and small in size than PS2 (PSP will fit my table better than PS2, as I have dumped AVR receiver, DVDP, Xtreamer, 1 TB Harddisk etc)
  • PSP is portable and can be played when you have an overnbight bus / train journey.
  • PS2 as a 2 in 1 option (for Game & to play DVD movies) may not be of that use (to me atleast) as many have a dedicated HDMI DVD Player

• Are there any other reason which I have missed out why PSP Go is better than PS2 or
  • are there any reason PS2 is better than PSP Go

modding can make a gadget verstile does not necessarily mean, 'piracy', there are loads of other stuff you can do with a modded PSP that is perfectly under legitimate boundaries....

What are they Sam ? Can anybody elaborate ?

Not sure about the price of PSP games (original & pirated). Anybody ?

Last edited:
One major advantage is connecting your PS2 to Television, Which is possible in PSP buy you get a very small screen with loads of pixels.

Also the Games Catalog is relatively niche for PSP -Yes It has got variety of titles but selection off late has been poor.

Also PS2 owners correct me - Doesn't PS2 have an Optical out? So you should be able to enjoy 5.1 sound the least.

However my first advice still stays - No point in investing 8-9K on a Old Gen Console.

What are they Sam ? Can anybody elaborate ?

Not sure about the price of PSP games (original & pirated). Anybody ?

Oh dont even start me on that.........:D but I will share a few to began with.

1. After hacking you can run the custome firmware (CTF) which allows, you to load custom themes files.....you can change everything from your wallpaper to icons to sounds to login screens to every color on PSP, not only that you can have wallpaper/theme changer that changes your PSP looks completely after given intervall of time. And there are loads n loads of Custom themes available online. Last but not the least you can create your own themes or edit the existing ones per you needs.

check out how a custom theme can look on a PSP.

1qrcc8.jpg
5nslt2.jpg

2. HomeBrew Applications :: Developers have written all sorts of applications that can be run specifically on Hacked PSP, and there are loads and loads and loads of applications out there you can try..... some of my fav are.

• [*]Bookr : its an e book reader for PSP
    [*]PSP Tube : Watch youtube on PSP
    [*]PSPComic : Comic book reader for my PSP
    [*]PIMPStremer : Used to streme movie files from my PC

3. Emulators :: Best part of Hacking, developers have developed emulators that can run the old 8 bit games on yur PSP, meaning ..... remember good old Mario Bro, now you can play that on your PSP using emulators, not only that you can pay all N64 games like Double Dragon, Ninja Turtals...etc. It does not stop here we have emulators for GBA, PS1 and ATARI as well so all those games can be run on PSP

Apart from all above...............

1. You can skip the bootup screen that bosts up load time to 3-5 seconds
2. Brightness level can be changed,increased
3. You can opt to shut the UMD drive off completely and run your games right off the Memory Stick. This saves at least 30% battery power. best part is that loading times die altogether (not applicable to PSP go though)
4. Internal widgets like time and date can be customised per your needs

..... ect ect

One major advantage is connecting your PS2 to Television, Which is possible in PSP buy you get a very small screen with loads of pixels.

I tried that it does not look good at all s not advisable

However my first advice still stays - No point in investing 8-9K on a Old Gen Console.

you talking about PSP or PS2

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back