PS3 Blu Ray Lens Cleaning ??

ThirdEye

Ok My PS3 (fat 80gb) was kinda exposed to a lot of dust in the last few weeks and stops reading blu ray discs after a few seconds. I surfed the net thouroughly and came up with two solutions. One is to get a blu ray lens cleaner (not avaiable here anywhere, and uses some kinda wind tunnel effect) or open it up myself and clean it (plenty of good videos to do this on youtube).

Why not sony support you ask!? Now, the warranty has expired long back, and the solution given by sony showroom and croma was to return it and get a brand new PS3 slim for 50% of the cost, which sounds ridiculous. Apparantly, sony service will not bother to clean the lens. I dont want to lose my beautiful old PS3 for a crappy looking new slim version, not that I'm willing to pay the 50% anyway.

Sounds ridiculous right !? Have any of you guys ever cleaned your blu ray players or PS3's ? Please let me know if there's a sane solution to this...

Hi Third Eye,

Sorry to hear about the issue with your PS3. Although I don't know the solution to fix your issue, I have one suggestion. Always keep the CD slot occupied i.e keep one dvd in the player always when its not in use. I do it hoping to avoid dust accumulation inside :)

If you are confident enough to do it on your own, would suggest to go ahead n clean it up yourself. As long as you can still claim 50% disc on new one, in case your experiment goes haywire (which i pray does not).

Best Regards,
Nikhil

One is to get a blu ray lens cleaner (not avaiable here anywhere, and uses some kinda wind tunnel effect)

Even I thought this Cleaner was not available in India. You are talking about Maxell Blu-Ray Lens Cleaner. However, one day I saw it at Planet M in Mangalore, and picked it up immediately.

Regarding its cleaning, I can only say, that I have used it. And it supposedly cleans the lens with a wind-tunnel technology. I have not had any disc-playing problems with my PS3 so far (PS3 Slim, 250GB, bought in early 2010).

Search around in some of the electronic shops. You might get the cleaner. No harm in trying it out. I don't remember its price. I think it was for somewhere around Rs.500.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back