ps3 phat/slim decision

phat or slim

• buy the phat now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wait for the slim

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • wait and hope the phat becomes cheaper when the slim launches and then buy the phat

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

filmguy

hey guys need your opinion of whether i should wait for the ps3 slim (expected anywhere b/w late nov - dec) or go for the phat. both have its pros/cons.

i'm assuming that when the ps3 slim launches it will be for 20k without any games bundled. so that effectively means that the phat is approx. 2k cheaper (20k minus 3k for the 2 games bundled plus approx. 1k for the additonal 40gb HDD on the slim).

something else to take into account is that maybe when the slim is launched the phat is offered at a discount or with more games so that there is no leftover stock of the phat (this is obviously my assumption. there is no information to that effect)

have listed a few pros and cons that i can see.

slim pros
smaller
quieter
less power consumption
bitstream HD audio (from what i've read bitstream vs lpcm isnt any audible difference)
40 gb more hard drive

slim cons
will be slightly more expensive (approx. 2k more)
cant install OS
newer tech so less tried and tested

phat pros
looks
turns out cheaper due to bundled games
can install OS (dont know if it'll be used ultimately but always good to have. apparently can be used to install s/w that can rip blu-ray discs)

phat cons
smaller HDD
noisier
more power consumption

so what do u guys suggest
thanx

Last edited:
If you are buying the PS3 only for gaming, you should not see much of a difference. If you are also buying it for watching Blu-Rays, then I suggest you wait for the PS3 slim as it can bitstream the HD formats namely DTS MA HD and Dolby TruHD. The phat PS3 is unable to do this and hence gives out LPCM output. You also need a HDMI capable AVR to see the real benefits of this. There are several threads in the console section discussing the same. I bought the PS3 Slim because my requirement was primarily movies. I bought it off eBay with a one year dealer warranty. My PS3 is a Hongkong import and is locked to Region A for Blu-Rays. I paid Rs.18,990 for it.

On another Forum (Tech Enclave), a dealer is taking pre-orders. I am posting some info from there. This might help making the decision.

What's in The Box:

New slimmer and lighter PS3 system with a 120 GB HDD, Internet-ready built-in Wi-Fi, 2 USB ports and HDMI + Bravia Synch output for 1080p resolution and connectivity between other Sony HDMI products.
Dualshock 3 wireless controller.
AC power cord, AV cable and USB cable.
Infamous Game Disk

Launch Date: November Last Week - December 1st Week
MRP: Rs 19,990 (Tentative)
Pre-Order Price: Rs 19,990 With Infamous Game, Shipped.
Pre-Order Price: Rs 18,750 Without Game, Shipped.
Pre-Order Closing Date: November 20th. Please clear your payments before this date

Entire details are here:
[GO] Sony PS3 Slim 120GB Console Pre-Orders - TechEnclave

Am in same dillema - my usage will be mostly HT bluray and media streaming from PC and some games on the side hehe.
Am waiting for the slim to launch officially in India so that I can get the warranty and C region playback.
If i lose patience, who knows may buy the phat one (cons already listed) or a slim one from ebay (locked to region A so may not be able to play all BDs available for sale in India).

Am in same dillema - my usage will be mostly HT bluray and media streaming from PC and some games on the side hehe.
Am waiting for the slim to launch officially in India so that I can get the warranty and C region playback.
If i lose patience, who knows may buy the phat one (cons already listed) or a slim one from ebay (locked to region A so may not be able to play all BDs available for sale in India).

Manu if you ever be interested in buying through grey channel or parallel import then its better to buy from Palika Bazar or Gaffar Market as in that case you might save another couple of thousand.

I agree. Grey Market is usually cheaper. I would have bought mine too from Grey Market instead of ebay if not for the fantastic deal that I got - Special one week only price of Rs.18,990 payable in 6 interest free EMIs. Also got a 60GB External Hard Disk from Ebay as part of Ebay's Diwali offer. National Market price (Bangalore's Grey market) was 21k at that time.

Also, forgot to mention that the TE dealer that I mentioned in my first post gives you a discounted price and a Sony India warranty.

If you are buying the PS3 only for gaming, you should not see much of a difference. If you are also buying it for watching Blu-Rays, then I suggest you wait for the PS3 slim as it can bitstream the HD formats namely DTS MA HD and Dolby TruHD. The phat PS3 is unable to do this and hence gives out LPCM output. You also need a HDMI capable AVR to see the real benefits of this. There are several threads in the console section discussing the same. I bought the PS3 Slim because my requirement was primarily movies. I bought it off eBay with a one year dealer warranty. My PS3 is a Hongkong import and is locked to Region A for Blu-Rays. I paid Rs.18,990 for it.

On another Forum (Tech Enclave), a dealer is taking pre-orders. I am posting some info from there. This might help making the decision.

Entire details are here:
[GO] Sony PS3 Slim 120GB Console Pre-Orders - TechEnclave

it's going to be for blu-ray, streaming movies from pc, hd videos and gaming :D
whenever i do buy i'd rather pay mrp (1k more) and buy from croma so i can get the 2 years extended warranty.
dont have a AVR which supports HD audio yet but its always btter to be future proof.
santhol have u found any diff b/w lpcm and bitstream. from what little i've read on some audiophile forums there seems to be hotly debated with most people saying there is no difference and the ps3 doing a good job of decoding the hd audio.

it's going to be for blu-ray, streaming movies from pc, hd videos and gaming :D
whenever i do buy i'd rather pay mrp (1k more) and buy from croma so i can get the 2 years extended warranty.
dont have a AVR which supports HD audio yet but its always btter to be future proof.
santhol have u found any diff b/w lpcm and bitstream. from what little i've read on some audiophile forums there seems to be hotly debated with most people saying there is no difference and the ps3 doing a good job of decoding the hd audio.

I was about to chip-in when Santhosh said about LPCM & Bitstream - It's all about personal preference and the AV Gear. It shouldn't make difference is my opinion.

It's the same like DD vs DTS - never ends

Its also worth getting the PS3 slim from the US as its a lot cheaper there,but you have to live with the region A locked blurays. I am fine with this,as you can still watch the ripped ones. Just pray that,you need to have the support for MKV soon :)

if i were you i will definitely pick ps3 slim coz now you can bitstream hd audio too and i'm too gonna sell my ps3 phat and buy slim :yahoo:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back