PT AE4000 Projector / Onkyo HTS3400 combo

lexulous

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy the Panasonic projector with Onkyo HT for my home. Here are a few questions:

1. Is this a good projector? The best rate I got was Rs. 1,60,000 from an authorized Panasonic dealer in Kolkata.

2. Along with this, I'm also buying the Onkyo speakers that come with an AV receiver. Is that a good choice?

3. I'm planning to get just ONE HDMI cable that will go out from the receiver to the projector. All devices I have will connect with the receiver. The projector gets just one HDMI cable. Does this cable have to be of extreme quality? A few vendors told me that I need to buy cables that are worth Rs. 20,000! While the Panasonic dealer suggests one for Rs. 1,500. The cable length I need is 10-15 meters max. So does it really make a difference if I buy a super powerful cable from Monster or some similar company?

4. Does the entire setup sound good? Have I missed anything? My main purpose is to enjoy 1080p movies I have on my laptop and watch TataSky HD.

Cheers,

Lexulous

The Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector should be available for approx. Rs. 115,000 - Rs. 120,000 in the grey market. Do not buy from the so called official dealer at their ridiculous prices. The one year limited warranty is definately not worth the extra money.

so much for display and so less for audio :indifferent14: . I think you can balance the budget and get optoma hd and good audio setup.

Hi everyone,

1. Is this a good projector? The best rate I got was Rs. 1,60,000 from an authorized Panasonic dealer in Kolkata.

3. I'm planning to get just ONE HDMI cable that will go out from the receiver to the projector. All devices I have will connect with the receiver. The projector gets just one HDMI cable. Does this cable have to be of extreme quality? A few vendors told me that I need to buy cables that are worth Rs. 20,000! While the Panasonic dealer suggests one for Rs. 1,500. The cable length I need is 10-15 meters max. So does it really make a difference if I buy a super powerful cable from Monster or some similar company?

1. It is a wonderful projector! I bought it in 2009 December and it has been working great since then. My cousin brought it from US and hence costed me $2,000. Customs guys charged Rs. 4k or so at the airport. so, overall, paid Rs. 94,000 net.
2. About HDMI cables, I saw this CNET review - CNET Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI cables - CNET Reviews. I went with their advice and did not spend much. bought a 10 m long HDMI cable (1080P) from monoprice for about $25. I have been using this to connect my AVR to the projector. it is working fine since the beginning. I dont know if the quality of picture would have been different if i had paid Rs. 20k! Overall, I'm extremely happy with the picture quality I'm getting so far:)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy the Panasonic projector with Onkyo HT for my home. Here are a few questions:

2. Along with this, I'm also buying the Onkyo speakers that come with an AV receiver. Is that a good choice?

4. Does the entire setup sound good? Have I missed anything? My main purpose is to enjoy 1080p movies I have on my laptop and watch TataSky HD.

Cheers,

Lexulous
Hi Lexulous
  1. The Panasonic PT-AE4000 is a very good projector. No doubt about it. But Projector Central rates the Epson 8350[URL] very highly also. Check that out also.
    [*]I will not advice a HT-Combo like Onkyo HTS3400. As kittu says, you are compromising on audio. The true HT experience is 50% Video/50% Audio. I will recommend separates such as Onkyo/Denon AVR and speaker system from Polk RTi series or Wharfedale Diamond 10.5. AVR should cost you 40~45K and speakers about 80K.
    [*]You donot need an expensive HDMI cable from Monster. You could get by using a 15m HDMI 1.4 (at least v1.3) cable from lesser known brands also. But you may (will) need 3 HDMI cables - one from source (BDP/Media Player/laptop) to AVR (short cable up to 2m max), another one from TS-HD STB to AVR (short length 1.5m) and finally one from AVR to Projector (long 15m cable).
    [*]Unless you have a good sound system, you will not enjoy true HD movies.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350.htm

[*]Unless you have a good sound system, you will not enjoy true HD movies.
[/list][/QUOTE]

Thats true. One need to have a decent sound system to enjoy movies and music.

1. It is a wonderful projector! I bought it in 2009 December and it has been working great since then. My cousin brought it from US and hence costed me $2,000. Customs guys charged Rs. 4k or so at the airport. so, overall, paid Rs. 94,000 net.
2. About HDMI cables, I saw this CNET review - CNET Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI cables - CNET Reviews. I went with their advice and did not spend much. bought a 10 m long HDMI cable (1080P) from monoprice for about $25. I have been using this to connect my AVR to the projector. it is working fine since the beginning. I dont know if the quality of picture would have been different if i had paid Rs. 20k! Overall, I'm extremely happy with the picture quality I'm getting so far:)

Hi,

I was looking up the same option since I know friends who keep travelling between India and US. I have the following queries.

1. The website mentioned NTSC as the format, did you face any problems while trying to view DVD's/Blu-rays bought in India? What about viewing TV content via the projector, any issues?
  1. Since this is an expensive piece of equipment, did you have to purchase the appropriate adaptors, stablizers etc? If yes, what did you purchase? This question may sound silly but I have managed to ruin my bose system due to lack of proper adaptor.
  1. At customs you mentioned 4k. Was this the official amount charged after declaration of the goods or was it a bribe?

Hi,

I was looking up the same option since I know friends who keep travelling between India and US. I have the following queries.

1. The website mentioned NTSC as the format, did you face any problems while trying to view DVD's/Blu-rays bought in India? What about viewing TV content via the projector, any issues?
  1. Since this is an expensive piece of equipment, did you have to purchase the appropriate adaptors, stablizers etc? If yes, what did you purchase? This question may sound silly but I have managed to ruin my bose system due to lack of proper adaptor.
  1. At customs you mentioned 4k. Was this the official amount charged after declaration of the goods or was it a bribe?

1. I have not had any issues with playing any CD's (DVD / BD.. my kids also play some old VCD's).
2. Once in a while i watch tatasky channels thru the projector. No issues again.
3. By adapter if you mean any step down type - nothing is required. it works in both 110 - 220v. also, identifies the voltage level automatically. As of now, I'm using a good surge protector only. planning to go for a UPS shortly.
4. Customs is official. since the model was new at that point in time, they did not have the model in their list. hence, the officer generally charged some amount. May be i was lucky:)

One thing i realized after I got it - it is a bit bulky for anyone to carry it in the cabin bag. My cousin had checked it in with original packing and with some extra padding and again, looks like i was extremely lucky to get it without any damage:eek:hyeah:

1. I have not had any issues with playing any CD's (DVD / BD.. my kids also play some old VCD's).
2. Once in a while i watch tatasky channels thru the projector. No issues again.
3. By adapter if you mean any step down type - nothing is required. it works in both 110 - 220v. also, identifies the voltage level automatically. As of now, I'm using a good surge protector only. planning to go for a UPS shortly.
4. Customs is official. since the model was new at that point in time, they did not have the model in their list. hence, the officer generally charged some amount. May be i was lucky:)

One thing i realized after I got it - it is a bit bulky for anyone to carry it in the cabin bag. My cousin had checked it in with original packing and with some extra padding and again, looks like i was extremely lucky to get it without any damage:eek:hyeah:

Yes, I think you are quite lucky. :)...I will have to look in the grey market, not sure who in Bangalore sells them. Do you know of any?

Lexulous,

How about considering to import the projector through a foreign online store and related, that way you will get the latest model and at a much cheaper price which no Indian store can match.

V.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back