Purchasing a new console

One X is a great console and for the price its amazing.
It even runs some games at 4k 60 which is a achievement tbh. RDR 2 runs at native 4k 30fps. Still amazing.
I left PC gaming long back and have been a console user since years and i dont have any intention to again build up a PC. Yes for VR, and for games like Half Life Alyx, i might build one and that is a huge expense.
The current crop of Consoles are very nice, Series X and PS 5 are due for release this year fall, lets see how they run games.

Wait for some months. The x would even become cheaper. after they fixed the color problem with blu ray playback, it’s as good a dedicated best in class 4K hdr blu ray player coating around 15k

a drive on a pc for the same would cost 10k and above. to make things even compare it will a pc at some 22 k and think which pc can do 4K 30fps or 1080p 60fps on most games

Wait for some months. The x would even become cheaper. after they fixed the color problem with blu ray playback, it’s as good a dedicated best in class 4K hdr blu ray player coating around 15k

a drive on a pc for the same would cost 10k and above. to make things even compare it will a pc at some 22 k and think which pc can do 4K 30fps or 1080p 60fps on most games
The best in class are the Panasonic UB820 and the 9000 and they cost way above 15k.
I would recommend not to use the One X for 4k blu ray playback if that's all you want to do on the console.

The best in class are the Panasonic UB820 and the 9000 and they cost way above 15k.
I would recommend not to use the One X for 4k blu ray playback if that's all you want to do on the console.
Sorry for my ignorance, I am not familiar with the quality of high end players. What exactly do we get from high end blu ray players over the Xbox ? I read somewhere that Xbox’s initial color error was fixed by MS, over a firmware after first 6 months of its release. I compared 1080p blu ray or Dunkirk vs the Netflix and things looked to have more depth on the disk, but 4K hdr of the same was another league. Netflix doesn’t have a 4K version of any of the movies I had to compare. But can you elaborate what exactly can I expect if I pay more?
Also, since different TV models have different colors due to panel differences even at their best tuning, so even if we have a reference grade color, don’t we need a high end tv to see the difference ?

High end players offer better processing, better tone mapping and thus a better image overall. The Panasonic UB9000 offers DTM ( Dynamic Tone Mapping ) now which is very helpful for Projectors and TVs. For TVs, i think the processing and the tone mapping control of the TV is bypassed and the player does all that, similar to a video processor. ( In Projectors, its just done the same way )
A Poor man's video processor you can say. A Proper video processor would be Lumagen Radiance or the MadVr Envy but they are very highly priced ( Around 5k$ and 10k$ for the the Envy )

Plus, the streaming quality will always be behind than the disk quality, that's why most people who care about audio or video will never switch to streams like Netflix or Amazon Prime. I never do it unless the stuff i want to watch isnt available on a proper format online to download ( Full ISOs or Remux )

High end players offer better processing, better tone mapping and thus a better image overall. The Panasonic UB9000 offers DTM ( Dynamic Tone Mapping ) now which is very helpful for Projectors and TVs. For TVs, i think the processing and the tone mapping control of the TV is bypassed and the player does all that, similar to a video processor. ( In Projectors, its just done the same way )
A Poor man's video processor you can say. A Proper video processor would be Lumagen Radiance or the MadVr Envy but they are very highly priced ( Around 5k$ and 10k$ for the the Envy )

Plus, the streaming quality will always be behind than the disk quality, that's why most people who care about audio or video will never switch to streams like Netflix or Amazon Prime. I never do it unless the stuff i want to watch isnt available on a proper format online to download ( Full ISOs or Remux )
What monitor or tv should one be using to see this difference ? What could be a tv under 1 lakh with an accurate color to see this accuracy given by the bdp?

What monitor or tv should one be using to see this difference ? What could be a tv under 1 lakh with an accurate color to see this accuracy given by the bdp?
I think you can get away with some missing stuff that cheaper TV screens provide like better processing, better upscaling, better tone mapping of HDR content like the Dynamic Tone Mapping done by the Lumagen and Tone Mapping done by the Panasonic blu ray players like the UB9000 with the addition of a powerful video processor or a powerful blu ray player.
But then again, there's the cost. These things are expensive and its just better to buy a better TV instead of spending big on the Lumagen.
Still Blu Ray Players are costly, but not costly enough for the enthusiasts and they will definitely provide a edge in the image quality over a standalone TV doing all the work.
I have a Hisense 65M7000, cheap TV but a kickass one for its price. I can definitely take advantage of a Video processor coupled with it, but im okay with the image quality.
HDR is a hit and miss in my TV, its static tone mapping and not dynamic. It looks good, but not like it should.

Hi,
Just want to share my thoughts. I got my Xbox One X, in January, when there was a discount running in the US. It cost me about 330 $, for which I feel its a wonderful bargain. It's nearly dead silent, even when I'm firing Witcher 3 at 4K HDR, in all glory :) Compared, to the Sony PS4, the One X is built like a block of stone. Very high quality, indeed. So, If anyone is on the fence over a new console, the One X is my prime suggestion.

Hi,
Just want to share my thoughts. I got my Xbox One X, in January, when there was a discount running in the US. It cost me about 330 $, for which I feel its a wonderful bargain. It's nearly dead silent, even when I'm firing Witcher 3 at 4K HDR, in all glory :) Compared, to the Sony PS4, the One X is built like a block of stone. Very high quality, indeed. So, If anyone is on the fence over a new console, the One X is my prime suggestion.

Totally agree with you, i like the rich feature set and convenience of the Xbox One X , I use it for OTT Content /Blu Ray disc playback and casual offline gaming with 4k on my HT system

The thing I utterly dislike is the need to pay a recurring fee to game online which is not the case for games purchased on PC platform. I like playing Fifa on multiplayer mode and have purchased every edition till date , i purchased it for Xbox this time and cant play online as I have not subscribed to Xbox Live which is a real bummer.

Totally agree with you, i like the rich feature set and convenience of the Xbox One X , I use it for OTT Content /Blu Ray disc playback and casual offline gaming with 4k on my HT system

The thing I utterly dislike is the need to pay a recurring fee to game online which is not the case for games purchased on PC platform. I like playing Fifa on multiplayer mode and have purchased every edition till date , i purchased it for Xbox this time and cant play online as I have not subscribed to Xbox Live which is a real bummer.
You cannot make a PC with the specs of the One X at the One X's price.
The hardware is amazing, and at the price it does native 4k in many titles including RDR 2 which looks superb on a 4k screen.
PC has many benefits but being a VFM machine is not one of them.
So even if one is paying 3k a year for Xbox Live it isnt much costly compared to a PC.
Not even considering the free games that come with Live.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back