[Query]Optical to Analog Audio Converter+5.1 speakers (<10k)

onlytanmoy

Dear All,

Need your suggestion.

I am basically looking for 5.1 speakers within the price bracket of 10k INR. I have my eyes on the F&D F6000 set.
My mobo is ASUS - M5A97 EVO R2.0 which has got Optical S/PDIF out port at back panel.
Now i understand that the F&D F6000 set (or any other sets below 10k for that matter) lacks any digital audio input. I cannot directly connect an optical cable from the PC to the speakers

So as a workaround, if i purchase this DAC from ebay (Cable Dolby Digital AC3 DTS PRO Optical TO Analog 5 1 LR Audio Converter Decoder | eBay) and then connect it in between my PC and the 5.1 set then i think i can hook up an optical cable from my PC to the DAC digital input and later from the DAC output to the 5.1 analog input. Will that make any difference to the sound quality rather than connecting the speakers directly to the analog output of the PC?

I am from Kolkata. Are there any places (in chandni chowk) where I can get this DAC device?

Thanks a lot,
Tanmoy.

Its hard to say because DAC does not look to be a familiar brand. Your mobo sound card looks better why invest 3K for external DAC? remember connecting optical does not always mean to get better sound output.

Its hard to say because DAC does not look to be a familiar brand. Your mobo sound card looks better why invest 3K for external DAC? remember connecting optical does not always mean to get better sound output.

thanks a lot for your response mate...hmm you are right, that product from ebay looks like a local brand and i doubt anyone can testify for the quality of that but it's just that i really really want to use the optical out this time but at the same time i am constrained by my 10k budget so thinking of using this DAC :sad:
by the way, any good 5.1 speaker sets within 10k that comes to your mind worth recommending? thank you.

I think you can get more or less the same quality by connecting 3 x 3.5mm to RCA cables
I am already using them in my existing setup but like I said this time I would like to use the optical out from my mobo [Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel]. I believe there has to be some significant change in quality by shifting from analog to digital.

thanks a lot for your response mate...hmm you are right, that product from ebay looks like a local brand and i doubt anyone can testify for the quality of that but it's just that i really really want to use the optical out this time but at the same time i am constrained by my 10k budget so thinking of using this DAC :sad:
by the way, any good 5.1 speaker sets within 10k that comes to your mind worth recommending? thank you.

Look for Edifier DA5000 PRO.

Short answer:
Use ASUS Xonar DG with Edifier DA5000 Pro speakers. Best option. Cheap & great sound.

Long Answer:
There are three things that happen when you are talking about enjoying DTS movies:
1) Dolby/DTS decoding. This is done by :
a) Hardware decoders licenced from Dolby or DTS. These are found in AVR etc.
b) Software decoders. There are paid (Nero, WinDVD etc) players that do this. Their decoder is licenced from Dolby/DTS. There are also free players like PotPlayer, MPC etc who use open source, free decoders (not from Dolby etc). Your selected device seems to have a hardware decoder but at this price, I dont know but, it seems like a chip has been made out of free decoders.

Considering this point you can go for your device or Free Software Players
Next Point.

2) Digital to Analog Conversion.
Is also present in AVRs. This determines sound quality very much. This will have more effect on sound quality than Dolby or DTS. So your device will have very basic DAC which will degrade sound quality.

So, considering this point, you should go for Sound Card. Xonar DG is best in budget segment.

3) Amplification
Is done by amplifiers in AVRs etc. Good amps are very imp for good sound. So buy a set of good 5.1 that has good amplification. DA Pro has good one. I dont know abt F&D.

So, considering this point also, you should go for Xonar DG + DA Pro.

Bonus if you have read this much but are still dying to use your optical output: There are 5.1 speakers available from Edifier that have DAC built in. Now you will have to see how the Dolby/DTS decoding (1st point) will get done. Perhaps your speakers will do it. Perhaps you can output as LPCM. Or maybe something else.

Sony/Panasonic etc that you link to are not recommended. At this price, they are very low powered devices. You will get better quality with Edifier.

Bonus 2 : You should try using better wires to connect Amplifier (Bass box) to speakers. Try to get 18 gauge wire upto Rs 35/metre and replace standard wires of Edifier. Sound improvement will be amazing.

Regards

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back