Quiet ceiling fan?

Have been using Havells decorative fan and it is not so much noisy like regular fans even at full speed. Probably due to the better build, rollers and thin blades. But it is 5x expensive.

At the moment, the price isn't a concern. Having spent a fair bit on the hifi equipment, I'm loathe to let a silly thing like a fan muck it up.

im summer my music listening goes down drastically. even the sofa is too hot to sit on. the ac takes time to cool the whole room down. vice versa i make up for it in the winters

Dont expect a miracle...

To be honest, I wouldn't expect anything from a computer cooling fan, not in India anyway :~)

in summer my music listening goes down drastically. even the sofa is too hot to sit on. the ac takes time to cool the whole room down. vice versa i make up for it in the winters

That's certainly one way to go about it. In Bangalore, mercifully, the really hot weather is only a couple of months long, although every year it seems to get longer. But I cannot imagine going without music that long. Or do you shift to headphones or something?

That's certainly one way to go about it. In Bangalore, mercifully, the really hot weather is only a couple of months long, although every year it seems to get longer. But I cannot imagine going without music that long. Or do you shift to headphones or something?

its not a concerted effort not to listen to music. i like listening to music in a relaxing environment, and in turn it relaxes me. with the heat i dont feel like listening to music. and in better weather the urge is more. its not that i cut out music in summers - but frequency drops by atleast 50-70%

In summer my listening habits shifted mostly to PC-DAC-Headphone Amp based system which is to some extent more resolving (with Etymotic ER-4S) than speakers based one.

Last edited:
In summer my listening habits shifted mostly to PC-DAC-Headphone Amp based system which is to some extent more resolving (with Etymotic ER-4S) than speakers based one.

A decidedly colonial approach, like summer and winter capitals. I like it :~)

The only way to get less noisy fans is to buy fans which rotate slowly but move equaled air by having 5 or 6 blades which are longer. Usually the high end ones from havells croton etc as well as the floor based tower fans in the previous posts.

For noiseless operation and less air turbulance one can opt for "Hunter fans" sold by Usha International in India, but of course it will come at a cost.

Basic model like bayport will cost around 14K to 15K.

Saw this discussion only today and hence posting now.

Havell's fan is less noisy but again i have 2 of them in the living room and one in the bedroom. The one in the bedroom is quite noisy, but thankfully one in the living room is very quite in full speed too. Please check on which model you buy.

I b ought a Bionaire tower fan last week for my wife & mom in the kitchen but they do not give too much breeze and are very quite. For Bangalore kind of heat it should be good.

I agree with other posts that Bajaj is the most noisy fan out there hence avoid totally.

I have one more vintage Crompton fan in my other bedroom with large blades which is over 20 years old. Surprisingly this fan gives the maximum air throw with minimum noise.

I listen mostly with the fan but at times switch it off during critical listening only when i am around. I dare not keep it off when my wife is around:eek:hyeah:

Rotary woofer
yoda2-35325.gif
"A stumbling block into a stepping stone, you must turn" - Master Yoda .

Thanks for the suggestions and perspectives, everyone. I came across this page (http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/reviews/most_quiet_ceiling_fans.asp) which confirms some of the things that some have mentioned here. For those interested, read the comments as well because there's a ton of info in the correspondence between the company and a person called Peggy.

I think I should first focus my search on fans with 5 or more large blades.

The noise from fans is more due to air-movement than the motor. Low speed, low noise and large blade fans are the best compromise (think of old government office like fans) but they are still a compromise.

I switch on the AC in an adjoining room, let the music room cool down a bit and then I enjoy the music without switching on the fan. Dessert cooler is a very good option in dry heat. Apart from cooling, it also reduces static. Sometimes I use it to cool down the room before starting my listening session.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back