Radio and Onkyo tx-nr 5008?

badrisuper

Hi All,
I using my TX-NR 5008 to power up my speakers. I try to use in-build radio tuner. But the reception is not good. Is there a way to improve quality of the radio reception? Guys waiting for any good suggestions, advice from you.

Thanks in advance
Badri

Last edited:
Hi All,
I using my TX-NR 5008 to power up my speakers. I try to use in-build radio tuner. But the reception is not good. Is there a way to improve quality of the radio reception? Guys waiting for any good suggestions, advice from you.

Thanks in advance
Badri

Assume you are referring to FM reception. If yes, all you would require is an external antenna. You can make one by yourself. If you have the receiver's original antenna, you can try repositioning it, probably at a little bit of a height. Try changing the direction of your FM radio antenna to a point wherein you get the best reception.

My experience with FM tuners is limited, but I have been collecting lot of information on reception problems and different types of antennas during the past few days. I guess the answer to your question would depend upon the following:

1. Which band are you trying to receive (AM / FM) ?

2. What are the stations you are mainly looking at, and how far are these? Are they all in the same direction?

3. What antenna are you using at present?

Some tips I collected from the Gurus in this regard:

1. For local or fringe-area FM stations, reception problems will disappear in all certainty with an outdoor VHF antenna. In fact for the "very local" stations, a properly mounted twin-lead indoor antenna would do.

2. No need to go for fancy options like dedicated FM antennas from Antennacraft or Wineguard available on Ebay India (through Cart2India) or 20north. A five element VHF (Doordarshan) Yagi antenna would cost Rs.300/- in the local TV shop. A cheap, 3' heigh camera tripod with three-dimensional rotation, lock, and bubble-scope is available for Rs.1,200/- on Ebay India, and can be turned into a stylish-looking terrace-mount for the Yagi antenna. It can also be used for DXing since you can alter the direction, zenith and elevation of the Yagi with the tripod.

3. Be wary of the claims associated with some fancy FM antenna brands, of pulling in stations more than 100 kms away. While under certain circumstances you may get such receptions, by no means, with the very best of the antennas, a regular reception such as this is possible. Also, as far as possible, avoid indoor amplified antennas, however fancy they may look. There is no alternative to the laws of physics, and snake-oil remedies do not work.

s Use a high quality, preferably quad-shielded, RG-6 cable to connect the antenna to the tuner. Connect using a proper connector, and the best that can happen to you will happen.

I hope these tips would be of some use to you!

My experience with FM tuners is limited, but I have been collecting lot of information on reception problems and different types of antennas during the past few days. I guess the answer to your question would depend upon the following:

2. What are the stations you are mainly looking at, and how far are these? Are they all in the same direction?

1. For local or fringe-area FM stations, reception problems will disappear in all certainty with an outdoor VHF antenna. In fact for the "very local" stations, a properly mounted twin-lead indoor antenna would do.

2. No need to go for fancy options like dedicated FM antennas from Antennacraft or Wineguard available on Ebay India (through Cart2India) or 20north. A five element VHF (Doordarshan) Yagi antenna would cost Rs.300/- in the local TV shop. A cheap, 3' heigh camera tripod with three-dimensional rotation, lock, and bubble-scope is available for Rs.1,200/- on Ebay India, and can be turned into a stylish-looking terrace-mount for the Yagi antenna. It can also be used for DXing since you can alter the direction, zenith and elevation of the Yagi with the tripod.

3. Be wary of the claims associated with some fancy FM antenna brands, of pulling in stations more than 100 kms away. While under certain circumstances you may get such receptions, by no means, with the very best of the antennas, a regular reception such as this is possible. Also, as far as possible, avoid indoor amplified antennas, however fancy they may look. There is no alternative to the laws of physics, and snake-oil remedies do not work.

s Use a high quality, preferably quad-shielded, RG-6 cable to connect the antenna to the tuner. Connect using a proper connector, and the best that can happen to you will happen.

Thanks for reiterating the facts. I too am contemplating using Yagi antenna.
But in the meanwhile, I came across the J-pole and thought of trying it out as DIY. Will that help? As of now, I am able to receive few FM stations OK on my Denon 1611 and a few just do not get tuned due to excessive noise, even though all stations are local.

Please go through the following test report:

No tux FM Antenna Survey

It describes twin-lead FM antenna as the best possible indoor antenna. With an indoor antenna, there would be no fear of lightning.

I am experiencing good results with the twin-lead antenna that I was supplied with along with the tuner, after the initial left channel issue.

I was also reading somebody's post on diyaudio forum, that he was getting excellent results with the following DIY design of J-Pole.

The simplest best FM antenna in the world

I do not have first hand experience on J-Pole designing, though I am familiar with the theory behind. Therefore, best wishes for your DIY project, and do let us know the results. The following are few other simple DIY FM antenna designs I have found.

High Gain FM Antenna :: HamRadioIndia

HAM Antenna Blog: Build an Indoor FM Antenna With These Plans

I have also seen on Indiadth forum, an enthusiast demonstrating his "coat-hanger" FM antenna and "Pepsi Can" FM antenna (which is basically a helical antenna with Pepsi Can used for winding the copper wire). Not sure how good these crude alternatives work with high-end receivers like the Onkyo or the Denon.

Last edited:

Great points...but I must add, a yagi antenna is directional and hence if you are located outside town and pointing your antenna towards the city, it will work well for you. However, if you are located within the city, you may have to keep turning it around each time you want to listen to a different station. A simple solution would be to use a "ground plane" antenna which is omni-directional. The gain however is less than that of a Yagi.

I have also seen on Indiadth forum, an enthusiast demonstrating his "coat-hanger" FM antenna and "Pepsi Can" FM antenna (which is basically a helical antenna with Pepsi Can used for winding the copper wire). Not sure how good these crude alternatives work with high-end receivers like the Onkyo or the Denon.

Hi,

I have successfully used a coat hanger antenna to receive Pakistan TV (Lahore) in Shimla on a Videocon receiver.

Regards.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back