raspberry pi 2 as media player

While Exodus works really great on Kodi, do you guys have any recommendations apart from Exodus?

Also, recommendation required for an audio plug-in for Hindi music streaming. Am ordering Flirc to setup my Harmony 650. Are there any other interesting accessories which one can get from the US for RPI (not interested in a camera setup as of now)?

RPI 3 is currently my Media Center. I use Yatse to control it from my mobile. My TV remote also works fine to control the basic things.
I am using Specto and it generally can find streams for English movies. This is quite a good add-on (similar to Exodus, which I have not tried).

I was considering the HiFiberry Amp+ to go along with the RPI and then add passive bookshelf speakers (or perhaps go with floorstanders).
But considering the 25W power of the Amp+, I am not quite sure if this would be good enough.

I also do not want to have Volumio or such, but would just like to continue with OpenElec which has not given me any trouble over the years.

Most of the content I have is 2.0 channel, so I decided to drop the idea of getting a Home Theater setup (with 5.1 channel) and stick with stereo setup for now.

But considering the 25W power of the Amp+, I am not quite sure if this would be good enough.

If the speakers are efficient enough (90db or more) a mere 10wpc amp is more than enough I believe.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in.

If the speakers are efficient enough (90db or more) a mere 10wpc amp is more than enough I believe.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in.

I dropped the plan to get the Amp+ since that would solve only the problem of connecting my RPI to the passive speakers. My TV still needs another amplifier to connect to the passive speakers. So I might as well get a stereo amp.

What!!! . Have you ever heard of YATSE. Android remote for kodi, I guess not else you wouldn't have said "it doesn't have decent UI for controlling on mobile" [emoji4] [emoji4] . Try yatse and then come[emoji4]

Sent from my Moto G (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I did try Yatse, not one of the best UI's but it does the job. Thanks for suggesting. Are there any better stuff out there that can control Kodi?

I guess you havent seen other Kodi remotes out there else you would not say "not the best UI" ..:D .... Anyway the only other remote I think comes close is below

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore&hl=en

Hope you know there are three screens of Yatse remote, that you can scroll while watching the movie in order to get full UI experience of Yatse.

Another thing about yatse is its plugins, which are very usefull, specially the call plugin.

Hi,

Need suggestions on power supply for the Pi3. The one for the Pi +Digi seems to be failing since a week. Seeing the power icon more frequently. Tried on the other pi I have and same result.

The spec requirements are 5v 2.5amp. I see a a few on Amazon, however not sure how reliable they are. My Pis are running 24x7. I also noticed some dual USB power supplies, however I don't think they can supply 2.5a simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

?..

Need suggestions on power supply for the Pi3. The one for the Pi +Digi seems to be failing since a week. Seeing the power icon more frequently. Tried on the other pi I have and same result.

The spec requirements are 5v 2.5amp. I see a a few on Amazon, however not sure how reliable they are.

The Stontronics official power supply for the RPi3 is available on Amazon India. It is a bit pricey at about 900.00. But it works well.

I used it for a while while I waited for an adapter plug for my linear PS. A friend of mine has been using it with his RPi3 24/7 (NAS application) since I switched to the Linear PS.

Last edited:
Hi,

The spec requirements are 5v 2.5amp. I see a a few on Amazon, however not sure how reliable they are. My Pis are running 24x7. I also noticed some dual USB power supplies, however I don't think they can supply 2.5a simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

I was looking for a reliable PS (power supply) for Rpi 3, used Nexus Tab and Lenovo Tab PS, both marked 2.0A with Rpi 2, but showing a power icon more often than ever.

Surprisingly my Logitech harmony 950 Charger PS marked 1.0A is working perfectly with Rpi 3 !! PS seems to be the Achilles heel for Rpi. It's more capable if you can sort out the power supply issues. Any good linear power supply recommendations for Rpi 3? I'm flexible with the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

..Seeing the power icon more frequently.

Where do you see this? On screen on the right top (orange color)?

I saw that last week for the first time when I used my Anker power bank (which is supposed to supply 2A).

Then I reverted back to my Motorola power supply (which does 1.1 Amp, if I remember correctly)

I some times need to switch on, off, on, in order to boot up the Pi, but after that there is no issue. Till now I was running a USB mouse attached (with wired connection for LAN), but now I have removed the mouse just to test.
Does not seem to make much of a difference.

Talking about the 'quality' of power supply, I have a question in my mind.

In which of these two cases will the sound quality be affected by the power supply?

1. using Digi (basically get a digital signal out)
2. using DAC (to get an analogue signal out)

iFi AUDIO iPower Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC Audiophile Power Supply (5V) may be a good source of power supply for your RPI3!

https://www.tanotis.com/products/if...k0_o_cDKxApEAR9ljekR8VK38W8D1n5krYaAh_88P8HAQ

Its costlier than Rpi 3 itself...
6k PSU +3k Rpi 3 + 6k digi plus and Case + Remote mostly NA - 15k approx!!

Suddenly Himedia Q10 and Nvidia Shield start appearing VFM.. At least for the Media Player /Streamer duties.
Any useful comparison experience or online reviews between them?

The Stontronics official power supply for the RPi3 is available on Amazon India. It is a bit pricey at about 900.00. But it works well.

Thank You, however, way over than what I would like to spend on a power supply for the Pi.

iFi AUDIO iPower Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC Audiophile Power Supply (5V) may be a good source of power supply for your RPI3

Sorry, way too expensive.

I was about to suggest the same. Thus PS is well reviewed, and iFi claims that it measures better than a typical Linear PS. If I didn't have a HDPlex PS already, with the exact necessary power output in a spare outlet, I'd have bought one of these.

However, good it may be, I just cannot justify buying a power supply that is more expensive that the board itself.

Where do you see this? On screen on the right top (orange color)?

Talking about the 'quality' of power supply, I have a question in my mind.

In which of these two cases will the sound quality be affected by the power supply?

1. using Digi (basically get a digital signal out)
2. using DAC (to get an analogue signal out)

Yes, the yellow lightening icon on the top right. Earlier it used to be a multi coloured square icon.

If the power supply is not okay, the overall performance suffers which could also affect the sound quality. I have always used an external DAC fed by the Digi and found it to be better than my receiver's(Marantz) DAC. To add to it, running Volumio improved the sound on the same Pi+Digi+DAC combination, compared to Kodi.

MaSh

Boss from Allo will be available from tomorrow in India.
This should be a good DAC for me to try with my pi3

Boss from Allo will be available from tomorrow in India.
This should be a good DAC for me to try with my pi3

The BOSS is available just about Rs. 3800 (including tax and shipping from Bangalore to Pune).
However this works only with Volumio and DietPi.

Now, I intended to mount this on my existing RPI 3 which is running OpenElec, but that is likely NOT to work.

This means, I need to buy another RPI +SD card dedicated for music. :)
Volumio comes with UPNP support. This means I should be able to (using home WiFi network) be able to stream songs from my Android devices to this Volumio, correct?

Volumio comes with UPNP support. This means I should be able to (using home WiFi network) be able to stream songs from my Android devices to this Volumio, correct?

Correct, except I would recommend Moode over Volumio... :)

Correct, except I would recommend Moode over Volumio... :)

Moode 3.5 will be supporting this DAC. I am keeping an eye on the developments.
BTW: Moode 3.5 will be a paid version.

I am now looking for a cheap RPI as an 'audio' only system to go with the BOSS.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back