raspberry pi 2 as media player

One area I found the pi very fussy about is the power supply. Found out that a lot of the charger cords I was using were not of the bet quality. It was esp. bad when in wireless (I am assuming it needs more power with the wireless radio on). Check if the supply is the issue.

One area I found the pi very fussy about is the power supply. Found out that a lot of the charger cords I was using were not of the bet quality. It was esp. bad when in wireless (I am assuming it needs more power with the wireless radio on). Check if the supply is the issue.

Pi 3 is yes, it is also a bit finicky about the image you use, for PHT, I had to try a couple before finally one worked and worked good. Pi 2 is not so messy about Power Supply, even with a wifi dongle connected.

True that. After a couple did not remove the little rainbow box on the right, I got one specifically for Pi 3, with the logo on it and stuff. So that has been taken care of. There's obviously a problem, that I or anybody on any forum has been able to identify. I even spoke to guys on the Rpi forum as well as Tim of Moode fame. I have tried odd hundred things to get it running smoothly, but no. And as says murphy, it gives up on times when it should not, like a party and stuff and then I have to fall back on Spotify or router.

True that. After a couple did not remove the little rainbow box on the right, I got one specifically for Pi 3, with the logo on it and stuff. So that has been taken care of. There's obviously a problem, that I or anybody on any forum has been able to identify. I even spoke to guys on the Rpi forum as well as Tim of Moode fame. I have tried odd hundred things to get it running smoothly, but no. And as says murphy, it gives up on times when it should not, like a party and stuff and then I have to fall back on Spotify or router.

Beyond a point its not worth putting fight and dump it.

For the purpose, you were intending Pi 2 would have done the job easily. Pi 3 was not needed and since Pi2 is not so fussy about power supply, your experience might have been different. I use Pi 2 with Moode as I have been saying in all Pi threads I presume .. :D and its been working flawlessly 24x7 for the past year.

For the purpose, you were intending Pi 2 would have done the job easily. Pi 3 was not needed and since Pi2 is not so fussy about power supply, your experience might have been different. I use Pi 2 with Moode as I have been saying in all Pi threads I presume .. :D and its been working flawlessly 24x7 for the past year.

I was using Pi 2, it didn't work. Was using Pi 3 for movies, which was working flawlessly with movies but like I have mentioned before, for me anything without madVR upscaling is average. Unless its Oppo or some such.

So I transferred to using minimserver on Raspbian Jessie on Pi 3. Exactly the same issues. So like a member here said. No point getting hassled. Just moving on to something similar if not better wireless, like JRiver.

About using a Raspberry Pi 3 and MoOde to stream Spotify, I understand that there are some inherent issues that need to be sorted before you can have smooth playback.

I'm also not aware if many people use Cambridge Connect to use MoOde, but then if it's basically just an MPD Control app (I don't know about this) like MPDroid or the like, that should not be a source of issues.

There are quite a few discussions on using Spotify on the DIYAudio Support Thread.

Since I don't use Spotify, I've just jumped over those, but I do think there are solutions there.

^^ I dont want to comment on terrible on Rpi any more since he has moved on, but I am not sure what or how people are using Spotify with Rpi. For me its simple and works great. I use Rpi with Moode as a UPnP renderer. Run Spotify app on my mobile or laptop (laptop mostly when I am home) and throw/stream the music to Rpi Moode using AirFoil running on my Laptop. Works Great.. :) (From Android its a bit complicated). This set up is working for more than a year now, among other ways I use Moode on Rpi for music.

Last edited:
About using a Raspberry Pi 3 and MoOde to stream Spotify, I understand that there are some inherent issues that need to be sorted before you can have smooth playback.

I'm also not aware if many people use Cambridge Connect to use MoOde, but then if it's basically just an MPD Control app (I don't know about this) like MPDroid or the like, that should not be a source of issues.

There are quite a few discussions on using Spotify on the DIYAudio Support Thread.

Since I don't use Spotify, I've just jumped over those, but I do think there are solutions there.

No I do not use Rpi 3 and Moode to stream Spotify. My AVR has Spotify as a feature and I can operate it through its own app. I was using Cambridge Connect app (and a few others) to throw music from Rpi to the AVR.

^^ I dont want to comment on terrible on Rpi any more since he has moved on, but I am not sure what or how people are using Spotify with Rpi. For me its simple and works great. I use Rpi with Moode as a UPnP renderer. Run Spotify app on my mobile or laptop (laptop mostly when I am home) and throw/stream the music to Rpi Moode using AirFoil running on my Laptop. Works Great.. :) (From Android its a bit complicated). This set up is working for more than a year now, among other ways I use Moode on Rpi for music.

Hi sam
Want to try same but using tidal
Want to use tidal on mobile as android has free VPN
Can i throw stream to any upnp renderer like moose
If yes, can you explain how to set it up
Thanks in advance

Hi sam
Want to try same but using tidal
Want to use tidal on mobile as android has free VPN
Can i throw stream to any upnp renderer like moose
If yes, can you explain how to set it up
Thanks in advance

Yes Tidal works the same way as spotify. Run Airfoil and choose Tidal as the running sources then throw the music to Rpi running Moode via UPnP or Airplay...:)

Yes Tidal works the same way as spotify. Run Airfoil and choose Tidal as the running sources then throw the music to Rpi running Moode via UPnP or Airplay...:)

The app says it's to recieve audio from a PC or Mac
Also no setting to select source

The app says it's to recieve audio from a PC or Mac
Also no setting to select source

Which Airfoil app are you using, check the screen shot below, for Airfoil, where you can see Tidal as source under the drop down along with spotify and other music sources ..

2hf18bo.jpg

294ryxi.jpg

I want to stream it from my mobile to a upnp renderer like moode
From the screenshot it seems you using a PC

I want to stream it from my mobile to a upnp renderer like moode
From the screenshot it seems you using a PC

You cannot stream from Android from Spotify or Tidal "Unless" you have Rooted your phone, this is a limitation Google has put in, if you "root" your Android then you just need to install an app called AirAudio (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.airaudio&hl=en)

After that open AirAudio,choose system audio from settings, go to recievers where you will see Moode listed (for both UPnP and Airplay) click on it and connect the Android Device.

After that just open the app (spotify or tidal) on your mobile and play the song, it will play on Rpi using Moode via UPnP or Airplay (what ever you chose to select)

iPhone I believe does not have any such limitation, but I dont know what app iOS has that can do what AirAudio does for Android (I Hate Apple so no knowldge in that department .. :) )

^^ Update and new discovery, looks like Tidal if you have an account, appears under the "cloud" section of Bubble UPnP on Android, so if you are using Tidal , you do not need to Root your phone, you just need Bubble UPnP and you can throw the music on Tidal from Bubble to any UPnP renderer like Moode running on Rpi.

Unfortunately Spotify does not appear under Cloud so the only way to throw music from Spotify on Android to UPnP renderer is to Root your phone or use laptop... :)

^^ Update and new discovery, looks like Tidal if you have an account, appears under the "cloud" section of Bubble UPnP on Android, so if you are using Tidal , you do not need to Root your phone, you just need Bubble UPnP and you can throw the music on Tidal from Bubble to any UPnP renderer like Moode running on Rpi.

Unfortunately Spotify does not appear under Cloud so the only way to throw music from Spotify on Android to UPnP renderer is to Root your phone or use laptop... :)

Thanks for the tip sam
Works well
Now have to decide between Spotify and tidal

.....And oh I forgot to mention, the tip is courtesy our esteemed member "rikhav" ....:), thanks for discovering this buddy ... :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back