raspberry pi 2 as media player

The Pi is a wonderful device, and knocks the socks off of any hard drive plugged into an AVR or router being a full-blown Linux operating system. Folks just need to know what they're getting into and be prepared for some coding even if it means following guides on Google or YouTube.

I'm running 3 servers, a proper Synology setup, OMV, and a couple of Raspberry Pi's. I don't feel the Pi lacks in any way other than gigabit ethernet, but hey even the Roku is limited to fast ethernet if it comes to that and most routers (even the smart ones) still run on USB 2.0.

I have been through every guide possible, making suitable updates through putty, re-installing, etc, etc. Even installed Raspbian Jessie to not stay headless. I have 100 mbps speed with dual band so there's no question of choking bandwidth. Guess works for some, doesn't work for others. Too many assumptions. No it doesn't beat a hard drive plugged to a router, which in my case has USB 3; its the same. I don't see an iota of difference unless I sit and condition my head. Though, I have no idea how Rpi works when connected through wires with a DAC in between, except of course through HDMI, which is fine.

Last edited:
I did not make myself clear I think, I am able to play 1080p with my earlier rpi2 and now Rpi 3. But it lags a lot, especially the loading times are pretty bad. If its more than 15gb dts movie the delay is bothersome. Occasionally it freezes and needs to be restarted. I've tried most of the options of Rpi2 images. Overall the experience is just satisfactory not great.

Nope..Nope...Nope!! .. :) :) .. Something is not correct in your setup, Pi 2 works flawless with OpenELEC. Does not lag a bit, not even with DTS tracks, the load time is super fast, and again tried and tested. I did not make any videos for the same, but I have one for you (and others as well) check out this guy, ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjfvOxZzqsQ

he has done everything live, install openELEC on Rpi 2, then add his network drive and then scan all his movies and then play a DTS track movie file as well and you can see there is no lag what so ever in any department. Neither during navigation nor during playback. Infact he even plays a Bluray ISO file from Pi2 and it plays it nicely.

Again my point to show all this is not to contradict you specifically.. :). but to clear the misconception for all other folks and fellow members who might be put off immediately by Pi 2 as a low-cost media player reading your post, which isnt at all true. Pi 2 deals with DTS and ISO files just fine. I myself have done all testing and it went through pretty decently. (I should have made a video I guess .. :) ) But anyway the one I shared is pretty comprehensive as well ... :)

PS :: And BTW this is PI 2 we are talking about, with the same price point pi3 will perform even better, much much better. As I mentioned I am using PI 3 as plex home theater and it just works flawlessly. I probably will make a video and show case you all. Give me 1 hour... :)

Last edited:
The Pi is a wonderful device, and knocks the socks off of any hard drive plugged into an AVR or router being a full-blown Linux operating system. Folks just need to know what they're getting into and be prepared for some coding even if it means following guides on Google or YouTube..

I second with every word regeHA has said, I am using Pi 2 + E10 USB DAC with Moode for more than a year now, plugged in 24x7 and never have I faced any issue, I just switch on my speakers (Audio Engine A5+) and throw the music using UPnP via my laptop or mobile and it works, it just works...:)

I second with every word regeHA has said, I am using Pi 2 + E10 USB DAC with Moode for more than a year now, plugged in 24x7 and never have I faced any issue, I just switch on my speakers (Audio Engine A5+) and throw the music using UPnP via my laptop or mobile and it works, it just works...:)

Have spent more than six months on this Pi 2 & 3. Movies no issue as its connected through HDMI. But wireless music is hopeless. Hence, afraid I cannot second that as much as I wish. Maybe if my system was oriented like yours it might have worked. But you should try JRiver on Mac or Windows, its definitely better than Pi for sure.

I have been through every guide possible, making suitable updates through putty, re-installing, etc, etc. Even installed Raspbian Jessie to not stay headless. I have 100 mbps speed with dual band so there's no question of choking bandwidth. Guess works for some, doesn't work for others. Too many assumptions. No it doesn't beat a hard drive plugged to a router, which in my case has USB 3; its the same. I don't see an iota of difference unless I sit and condition my head. Though, I have no idea how Rpi works when connected through wires with a DAC in between, except of course through HDMI, which is fine.

Your router has a Pi inside... and for the most part lower specs in terms of CPU and with 256 MB RAM. Even with USB 3.0 you will not get gigabit transfer speeds... I get that only with my i7, Synology and dual core running OMV.

If you cannot hear a difference between media plugged into various devices/sources then consider yourself very lucky and enjoy the music/movies. Unfortunately most of us are cursed by the audiophile gods and so we spend time incessantly tweaking and searching for the best in everything audio and video.

Have spent more than six months on this Pi 2 & 3. Movies no issue as its connected through HDMI. But wireless music is hopeless. Hence, afraid I cannot second that as much as I wish. Maybe if my system was oriented like yours it might have worked. But you should try JRiver on Mac or Windows, its definitely better than Pi for sure.

You are certainly doing something wrong or it maybe a h/w issue with your Pi... or maybe the router/WiFi is spotty. I use MinimServer (the best IMHO) and it just runs 24/7... in fact for more than a year now. I've heard over 100,000 songs and over 70,000 just the last year alone on the Pi... it just works, zero hassles. I'm sure Moode will also deliver same results. 100% of it is wireless and streaming to 3 different Chromecast Audio devices spread across the home.

Coming to others like JRiver, Foobar, etc. been there and done that... even paid for them. The Pi simply blows them away in terms of SQ, especially with electrical isolation and low noise floor.

Your router has a Pi inside... and for the most part lower specs in terms of CPU and with 256 MB RAM. Even with USB 3.0 you will not get gigabit transfer speeds... I get that only with my i7, Synology and dual core running OMV.

If you cannot hear a difference between media plugged into various devices/sources then consider yourself very lucky and enjoy the music/movies. Unfortunately most of us are cursed by the audiophile gods and so we spend time incessantly tweaking and searching for the best in everything audio and video.

You are certainly doing something wrong or it maybe a h/w issue with your Pi... or maybe the router/WiFi is spotty. I use MinimServer (the best IMHO) and it just runs 24/7... in fact for more than a year now. I've heard over 100,000 songs and over 70,000 just the last year alone on the Pi... it just works, zero hassles. I'm sure Moode will also deliver same results. 100% of it is wireless and streaming to 3 different Chromecast Audio devices spread across the home.

Coming to others like JRiver, Foobar, etc. been there and done that... even paid for them. The Pi simply blows them away in terms of SQ, especially with electrical isolation and low noise floor.

I spend a considerable time creating and approving sfx, soundtracks and music in sound studios. So when it comes to SQ, the hearing bit, I think I know what I am talking about. Whatever RAM or no RAM, I think its better getting a judgement on true output rather than assuming an output because its been engineered so. The mind can play games. Unless you are talking about a wired setup and I am talking about doing it wirelessly. And I am not talking about various devices, I am stating clearly the device I am using.

I followed to T, what has been shown on various videos, guides and what you guys have been telling me here, repeatedly. It just keeps breaking down. When it plays it sounds good, but not better than when I pick up songs wirelessly from the router, through the app and push it to the amp. But the bigger problem for me is the breakdowns.

By electrical isolation and low floor noise you mean the use of power conditioner, linear power supply, etc; then I am doing that too. Tomy ears, the Rpi SQ is not better the JRiver (wirelesly again and maybe just for me!).

And yes I wondered if there was an issue with the router, but then that would have reflected even when the router is being used as source.

Last edited by a moderator:
....CHILLLLL GUYS ..... terrible and regeHA ... chill out man .. :)....

@terrible ... Pi does work my friend, (wireless as well) it might not have been for you (reasons unknown as of now) but there is no shame in admitting, lots of things do not work for me too, but the only thing I say is, lets not "bad mouth" the hardware, coz it might work for someone else, and that some one else might be put off by this and not even try to go in that direction and we dont want that, do we?, after all we are here to help/advice and get help/advice ...right.. :)
Same thing I said to @drkrack as well, he might not be able to get smooth 1080p content on Pi but that does not mean Pi is at fault, coz 8/10 people have reported smooth operations in Pi 2 with openELEC and other KODI Forks ...

So let not argue and just end at, it did not work for me, but might for others .. :)

Last edited:
....CHILLLLL GUYS ..... terrible and regeHA ... chill out man .. :)....

@terrible ... Pi does work my friend, (wireless as well) it might not have been for you (reasons unknown as of now) but there is no shame in admitting, lots of things do not work for me too, but the only thing I say is, lets not "bad mouth" the hardware, coz it might work for someone else, and that some one else might be put off by this and not even try to go in that direction and we dont want that, do we?, after all we are here to help/advice and get help/advice ...right.. :)
Same thing I said to @drkrack as well, he might not be able to get smooth 1080p content on Pi but that does not mean Pi is at fault, coz 8/10 people have reported smooth operations in Pi 2 with openELEC and other KODI Forks ...

So let not argue and just end at, it did not work for me, but might for others .. :)

I have not said Pi does not work Sam. All I mentioned was it did not work for me, for wireless implementation. In fact, I did tell drkrack a similar thing like you. Anyway, all points of view should be there, for people to chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pi works? Yes it does. The same way for all? No. Just like Windows OS works for all. Same way for all? Absolutely Not.

@terrible: Sorry I might have missed the post where you posted the exact point at which the Pi fails to play wireless? Could you please quote that post again or jot down what exactly is failing?

I remember I tried using the USB out from my Pi and into a DAC for Music and it was a disaster. Way too much static noise, which was not the case for others. After I added a Hifi DiGi+ board and used its digital out to the DAC, it worked great. An app on my mobile, 'All Connect' works great for me to play music stored on my phone as well as the hard disk connected to the Pi.

MaSh

Hello Moderators, please take note of this thread and get on with some moderation.Already dropped in a note.
And to respected fm's please follow forum rules and chill guys.
http://www.hifivision.com/rules.php

Done. Thanks. VenkatCR

@terrible: Sorry I might have missed the post where you posted the exact point at which the Pi fails to play wireless? Could you please quote that post again or jot down what exactly is failing?

I remember I tried using the USB out from my Pi and into a DAC for Music and it was a disaster. Way too much static noise, which was not the case for others. After I added a Hifi DiGi+ board and used its digital out to the DAC, it worked great. An app on my mobile, 'All Connect' works great for me to play music stored on my phone as well as the hard disk connected to the Pi.

MaSh

There is no specific point. Some days it plays smoothly and some days it just won't. So I connected my my music to the router and it works smoothly and SQ is exact same. All this is of course wireless. In the process I discovered JRiver gives better SQ than both Pi and router when songs are played wireless.

There is no specific point. Some days it plays smoothly and some days it just won't. So I connected my my music to the router and it works smoothly and SQ is exact same. All this is of course wireless. In the process I discovered JRiver gives better SQ than both Pi and router when songs are played wireless.

Okay, just wont work as in? Your device cannot find the Pi on the network? You may use any software that sounds good to you. Music preference has always been extremely subjective, else it would have been like the olden days of just having to choose between an Ambassador or a Fiat.

If finding the router on the network at times is an issue, try assigning a fixed IP to the Raspberry. This is what I have done to both my Pis. One a media player and the other a DNS. Pi being a DNS mandated a fixed IP, I just went and did the same for the media player too. That made searching for the Pi really fast in all the apps I used as they did not have to go hunting for it every time. No more changing IPs in the app(Kodi client needed that).

MaSh

Okay, just wont work as in? Your device cannot find the Pi on the network? You may use any software that sounds good to you. Music preference has always been extremely subjective, else it would have been like the olden days of just having to choose between an Ambassador or a Fiat.

If finding the router on the network at times is an issue, try assigning a fixed IP to the Raspberry. This is what I have done to both my Pis. One a media player and the other a DNS. Pi being a DNS mandated a fixed IP, I just went and did the same for the media player too. That made searching for the Pi really fast in all the apps I used as they did not have to go hunting for it every time. No more changing IPs in the app(Kodi client needed that).

MaSh

The pi is always found, but the music does not play. I use Cambridge Connect for Spotify as well as music through router and they work absolutely with relish. In fact, I had initially doubted the software, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. If the wireless connection was dodgy, it would be so in the case of Spotify or router, but no. And yes, to repeat, it does play sometime, guess the five thousand worth, it took to set up.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back