raspberry pi 2 as media player

Recently tried Pi3 as usb source for hi resolving music system. I was not comfortable overall. I could connect the pi3 wired connection after so many effort and help from my friend. The sound was smooth, but I could hear some occasional hiss sound. In-built Wi-Fi connection made available after a long trial effort, but the performance is very poor, signal seems to be very weak.

1. I used following with 2.4A 5 V adaptor to power the device. Is it falling short??
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Complete Kit | eBay

2. Use rune audio. Made the router dhcp none mode, put the PC& Pi3 device static IP config. Tried for Wi-Fi adaptor to avail wireless connection, till date I could not make it work. Static IP configuration made my other device connection a bit problematics.

3. Compared rune audio (through PI3) with bug head player (through i7 PC). My observation later is clear winner with details, depth and sound stage. Pi3 sound was smooth but lacks details, depth and sound stage comparatively.

Like to know more and want advice from experienced Pi user, if I am missing something to work out. I was expecting something different, after reading many reviews on PI user. A single component device will work as one of the best usb source for HIFI music. ..!!!!!

Recently tried Pi3 as usb source for hi resolving music system. I was not comfortable overall. I could connect the pi3 wired connection after so many effort and help from my friend. The sound was smooth, but I could hear some occasional hiss sound. In-built Wi-Fi connection made available after a long trial effort, but the performance is very poor, signal seems to be very weak.

1. I used following with 2.4A 5 V adaptor to power the device. Is it falling short??

2. Use rune audio. Made the router dhcp none mode, put the PC& Pi3 device static IP config. Tried for Wi-Fi adaptor to avail wireless connection, till date I could not make it work. Static IP configuration made my other device connection a bit problematics.

3. Compared rune audio (through PI3) with bug head player (through i7 PC). My observation later is clear winner with details, depth and sound stage. Pi3 sound was smooth but lacks details, depth and sound stage comparatively.

Like to know more and want advice from experienced Pi user, if I am missing something to work out. I was expecting something different, after reading many reviews on PI user. A single component device will work as one of the best usb source for HIFI music. ..!!!!!

I also use raspberry pi with usb out to my audio-gd dac. My obeservation has been that with wall wart 5v supply i get lot of grainy noise.. with headphones its very clear to identify. So I use Power bank of MI with power bank noise goes away but i get lot of crashes while file browsing. I am using rune audio. I have connected 64gb pen drive for storage with nas or upnp media server more crashes.
I am planning to buy good power supply from ifi
https://volumio.org/product/ifi-ipower/
but its expensive, costs more than pi..

1.I used following with 2.4A 5 V adaptor to power the device. Is it falling short??

2.Use rune audio. Made the router dhcp none mode, put the PC& Pi3 device static IP config. Tried for Wi-Fi adaptor to avail wireless connection, till date I could not make it work. Static IP configuration made my other device connection a bit problematics.

3.Compared rune audio (through PI3) with bug head player (through i7 PC). My observation later is clear winner with details, depth and sound stage. Pi3 sound was smooth but lacks details, depth and sound stage comparatively.

Read my post couple if pages old. I found the sound through the USB horrible. Too much noise and static sound coming through. I then got a digi+ hat board, connected the digital out to a dac and the sound is fantastic. Many forums have complained of static sound coming from the USB.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Read my post couple if pages old. I found the sound through the USB horrible. Too much noise and static sound coming through. I then got a digi+ hat board, connected the digital out to a dac and the sound is fantastic. Many forums have complained of static sound coming from the USB.

MaSh

Connecting the hdmi to their avr or pre amp should also suffice.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Connecting the hdmi to their avr or pre amp should also suffice.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Yes hdmi is fine, but that can go either to TV or receiver only. I wanted to bypass the receiver totally for music listening. HDMI is used for Movies.

MaSh

Last edited:

1.I used following with 2.4A 5 V adaptor to power the device. Is it falling short??

2.Use rune audio. Made the router dhcp none mode, put the PC& Pi3 device static IP config. Tried for Wi-Fi adaptor to avail wireless connection, till date I could not make it work. Static IP configuration made my other device connection a bit problematics.

3.Compared rune audio (through PI3) with bug head player (through i7 PC). My observation later is clear winner with details, depth and sound stage. Pi3 sound was smooth but lacks details, depth and sound stage comparatively.

4 ways to improve rpi audio:

1. Get a linear power supply for rpi
2. Get Hifiberry digi+ (trafo version preferred)
3. Use Moode
4. Forget USB audio

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

4 ways to improve rpi audio:

1. Get a linear power supply for rpi
2. Get Hifiberry digi+ (trafo version preferred)
3. Use Moode
4. Forget USB audio

1,2,3 ok but MY DAC works best in USB mode!

Will it exceed the PC SQ ?

1,2,3 ok but MY DAC works best in USB mode!

Will it exceed the PC SQ ?
I think PCs don't have that type of connectivity for putting these types of I2S to SPDI/F converters.

Once I tried my Intel motherboard's SPDI/F header to connect digital coax to my DAC. SQ was not that good.

So, in case of PC audio we might have to rely on USB to SPDI/F converter (like Gustard U12) and USB jitter reducer (like USB Regen) only.

The product names are just for reference.

I believe your DAC has some nice USB to SPDI/F implementation. I recommend you to try out Hifiberry digi+ and compare them side by side.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

Last edited:
Well I have been using Pi for music for about six months now. I throw music wirelessly from Pi using Moode and Minimserver, to the AVR. The music sounds very good but its a life full of glitches. The Cambridge Connect app reads both the servers but is unable to play the song. Other Upnp or DLNA apps are not doing any better. Anyway, for iOS, there aren't many good interfaces. My conclusion now is to stop all these hassels and go for something that'll make life easier. Every time, its taken me more than 20 minutes just to set up music and now even that does not happen, the apps just can't play the music on external HDD. Might be time to move on.

Well I have been using Pi for music for about six months now. I throw music wirelessly from Pi using Moode and Minimserver, to the AVR. The music sounds very good but its a life full of glitches. The Cambridge Connect app reads both the servers but is unable to play the song. Other Upnp or DLNA apps are not doing any better. Anyway, for iOS, there aren't many good interfaces. My conclusion now is to stop all these hassels and go for something that'll make life easier. Every time, its taken me more than 20 minutes just to set up music and now even that does not happen, the apps just can't play the music on external HDD. Might be time to move on.

Get this app, pay for it, its totally worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en

I've been using it for nearly a year now, cast over 50,000 to 60,000 songs and never had a single issue. Invest in a cheap Android smartphone or tablet and use as a permanent remote including for other devices like Chromecast, Roku, etc.

I use MinimServer, and that's the only thing I would recommend for the Raspberry Pi. You can also install it on Synology.

I use MinimServer, and that's the only thing I would recommend for the Raspberry Pi. You can also install it on Synology.

No need to install it on Synology, Synology has its own UPnP Media Server which is much much better than minim

I am also using Pi and Moode combo to throw music to my Audio Engine A5+ (since last 2 years) and life couldnt have been simpler, and the darn thing just works ... its on always on mode and all I have to do is to switch on the speakers. If I have my wifes phone iPhone 5S (iOS v 10.1), All I do is choose Airplay to push a song from any source, if I am on Android (Moto G4 Plus) then Bubble UPnP or AirAudio does the trick. If I am on Laptop, Foobar (with UPnP controller and renderer plugin installed) lets me play any music on my speakers ......:).

Last edited:
No need to install it on Synology, Synology has its own UPnP Media Server which is much much better than minim

MinimServer's strength is in its ability to tag music properly and more importantly display all tags in the file metadata.

MinimServer features
Browsing your library

It's not for everybody, but people who listen to classical music really appreciate it, it's so much better and far ahead of other media players like Foobar, JRiver, etc. especially in terms of tagging, metadata, and selection of music based on specific criteria.

More importantly the developer is really open to suggestions, just need to post on the forum and features are added/addressed very quickly.

I'm not dissing Moode Audio Player, and in fact it is a fantastic player, but its tagging is all over the place and it's next to impossible to select/segregate a playlist based on any meaningful criteria.

Synology can read tag information as well and display it in different styles that you can choose from Synology control panel ...
I am also not talking about Moode, infact I keep Moode UPnP as server switched off.
And I also have Minium server running on my Linux Media Home Server ....

I don't know hoe you guys have setup your Pi, that makes it work as effectively as you say it does. I have both Pi 2 & 3, one with moode and the other with minimserver plugged in with wifi and external HDD with music plugged through USB. The app reads both and is wirelessly supposed to throw music at the CXR. However, it refuses to do so now. I have done all kinds of resets and restarts and re-installs. But to no avail. I have no idea why I have peculiar issue.

^^ R U using UPnP/Airplay to through music or you using Moode itself to read the music from connected HDD and play music..????

^^ R U using UPnP/Airplay to through music or you using Moode itself to read the music from connected HDD and play music..????

I have Moode loaded on Pi2 and an external HDD attached to it. So the music gets loaded to Moode. Then through wifi, the Cambridge Connect App reads Moode and its content. Then the selected content on the app is thrown to the AVR for playback.

Is there any other way to do this?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back