raspberry pi 2 as media player

The BOSS is available just about Rs. 3800 (including tax and shipping from Bangalore to Pune).
However this works only with Volumio and DietPi.

Now, I intended to mount this on my existing RPI 3 which is running OpenElec, but that is likely NOT to work.

This means, I need to buy another RPI +SD card dedicated for music. :)
Volumio comes with UPNP support. This means I should be able to (using home WiFi network) be able to stream songs from my Android devices to this Volumio, correct?
That's how my current setup is now. Two Pi dedicated for movies and music, running OSMC and Volumio respectively. I had been using OSMC for both movies and music and was quite happy with it, however, after hearing volumio, no going back to OSMC for music.

The challenge right now is to somehow share a single hard disk with two Pis. I have a temporary arrangement running where the hard disk is connected to the Pi running OSMC and is shared over the network. Volumio reads the hard disk as a Nas device. Not finding it very reliable though. Not sure if I can make it more reliable by connecting the hard disk to a router with a USB port.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

That's how my current setup is now. Two Pi dedicated for movies and music, running OSMC and Volumio respectively. I had been using OSMC for both movies and music and was quite happy with it, however, after hearing volumio, no going back to OSMC for music.

The challenge right now is to somehow share a single hard disk with two Pis. I have a temporary arrangement running where the hard disk is connected to the Pi running OSMC and is shared over the network. Volumio reads the hard disk as a Nas device. Not finding it very reliable though. Not sure if I can make it more reliable by connecting the hard disk to a router with a USB port.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Good to know. For the media, I am using a WD My Book Live as my NAS. That thing is extremely reliable!
It also has transmission client. So it can download stuff as well as allow RPI to stream movies at the same time.

Good to know. For the media, I am using a WD My Book Live as my NAS. That thing is extremely reliable!
It also has transmission client. So it can download stuff as well as allow RPI to stream movies at the same time.

Oh that's cool. I am trying an alternate power supply solution for the two Pis, which will be connected to a UPS. Hopefully then Volumio will stay latched on to the shared drive. One of the adapters is at end of life, so have to keep that Pi switched off. If it does not work, then will try to upgrade to a router with a USB port.

MaSh

Its costlier than Rpi 3 itself...
6k PSU +3k Rpi 3 + 6k digi plus and Case + Remote mostly NA - 15k approx!!

Suddenly Himedia Q10 and Nvidia Shield start appearing VFM.. At least for the Media Player /Streamer duties.
Any useful comparison experience or online reviews between them?

you may try this:
iFi Micro iPower Supply

50 = ?4100 approx. shipping is free afaik.

MoOde 3.5 was released as paid version on Sunday and I got it setup on the very same day. I cannot say if it sounds better than Volumio since I cannot do a side-by-side comparison. Nevertheless, the sound is very good. I believe credit goes to the BOSS DAC.

I am still trying to figure out how to create my own playlists for various types of songs.
Also I am missing way to search radio stations with Hindi music (Volumio had good search capabilities).

Total costs:
RPI 3: 3000
BOSS: 3800
Cable: 500
MoOde: 650
Speakers: 30000
Amplifier: 21000
-------------------

Thanks Manniraj, Sorry I didnt take the pain to google and asked for the link ...... :)

I brought my Piano 2.1 DAC on Amazon India in January I think. But diyaudiocart is stocking all the versions including the famous Kali reclocker :clapping:

I have found an article that introduces how to make a NAS box by Raspberry pi. It is very convenient and small.
https://www.sunfounder.com/blog/diy-nas-kit/
Had tried something similar with a pi3 a couple of years ago. Worked well for pics and music for upto 2-3 devices in parallel, beyond which it would struggle. Videos or movies max 2 devices simultaneously. I moved on since I needed support for more number of devices. A desktop was repurposed. However pi4 could do better than Pi3 I guess.

MaSh

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back