Reading

If the entire western fiction of pre-twentieth century had to be pared down to ten books, then would it be:

Don Quixote/Miguel Cervantes(1605)
The Brothers Karamazov/Fyodor Dostoevsky1680)
Crime And Punishment/Fyodor Dostovesky(1666)
War And Peace/Leo Tolstoy(1869)
Anna Karenina/Leo Tolstoy(1873)
Madame Bovary/Gustave Flaubert(1856)
The Red And Black/Stendhal(1830)
Moby Dick/Herman Melville(1851)
The Scarlet Letter/Nathaniel Hawthorne(1850)
Buddenbrooks/Thomas Mann(1901)

I have long felt that reading these ten books would qualify a person to be called cultured and educated, even if he or she had never 'endured' a formal education :)

If the entire western fiction of pre-twentieth century had to be pared down to ten books, then would it be:

Don Quixote/Miguel Cervantes(1605)
The Brothers Karamazov/Fyodor Dostoevsky1680)
Crime And Punishment/Fyodor Dostovesky(1666)
War And Peace/Leo Tolstoy(1869)
Anna Karenina/Leo Tolstoy(1873)
Madame Bovary/Gustave Flaubert(1856)
The Red And Black/Stendhal(1830)
Moby Dick/Herman Melville(1851)
The Scarlet Letter/Nathaniel Hawthorne(1850)
Buddenbrooks/Thomas Mann(1901)

I have long felt that reading these ten books would qualify a person to be called cultured and educated, even if he or she had never 'endured' a formal education :)

from 'The Cloud Bookcase'
Eliot Weinberger

Absorption of Solar and Lunar Essence
by Anonymous (4th century)

Arcane Essays on the Supreme Cultivation of True Nature
by Anonymous (14th century)

Biography of Mr Yang, Imperial Chamberlain, Senior Assistant of the Tunghua Palace, and Director of Destinies
by Anonymous (12th century)

The Book of Azure Emptiness
by Ch'en Nan (d. 1213)

The Cloud Bookcase with Seven Labels
edited by Chang Chun-fang (fl. 1008-1025)
An anthology. A later commentator notes that several sections are divided into two parts ('Upper' and 'Lower' for no apparent reason)

Dividing a Pear in a Period of Ten Days
by Wang Che (c. 1183)
Collection of poems. The title refers to a pear that the author cut into fifty-five pieces to give to a disciple. One receiving the fifty-fifth piece the disciple and his wife separated.

Essentials for Preserving Life
by P'u Ch'ian-kuan (fl. 934- 965)
Recommends that 'one should avoid noxious winds the same way as one would avoid an arrow'. Fruits, meats, fish and fowls may be eaten but no vegetables.

Five Charms of Mysterious Book
The text includes only one charm.

Gradual Enlightenment
by Ma Tan-yang (1123-1184)
Contains poems where the first character is deliberately omitted

Great Method of Jade Hall of the Three Heavens of the Supreme Mysterious Origin
by Lu Shih-Chung (c. 1158)
Portions of the text were dictated to Lu by the Heavenly Lord Great Master of the Teaching, whose voice to everyone else, sounded like a baby crying

Hymns to the Five Planets
attributed to Chang Heng (78-139)
The text contains no hymns or poems to the planets. The attribution to Chang Heng is undoubtedly false.

The Identity of Both
by Lo Yin (833-910)
Often confused with The Identity of Both by Wu Yun (d 778)
Illustrated Version of the Flight to the Sun and the Moon
by Anonymous (13th century)

Describes a method for flying to the sun and the moon.

Instructions on the Emanations from the Labyrinth
by Anonymous (8th century)

The Marvellous Forest of the Great Vehicle

Explains that the forest is located near the Palace of Primordial Yang in the City of the Seven Treasures on the Mountain of Unimaginable Discourse.

Marvellous Stanzas for Resuscitating Corpses

A poem in twenty-eight stanzas.

Memorials that Proclaim Mercy and Are Helpful in Working Wonders
by Tu Kuang-ting (850-933)

Includes a Memorial to Arrest the Puppy Devil from Under the Stone (a demon who attacks children). Demons responsible for childrens diseases are also named, including the Wet Nurse from Heavens Prison and the Washing Bride.

Mr. Chous Records of His Communications with the Invisible World
by Chou Tzu-liang (497-516), edited and annotated by Tao Hong-ching (c. 517)

The text was found in a mountain cave, after the authors suicide at age 19. The editor includes the formula for the poison the author took.

Notes to Be Kept Inside a Pillow
by Anonymous (9th century)

Penal Code of the Mysterious Capital
by Anonymous (7th century)

Poems Made While Beating the Ground
by Shao Yung, Yao Fu (1012-1077)

A collection of some 1500 poems, including a series of 135 poems titled Chants of Head and Tail, each one of which begins and ends with the line: Yao Fu does not write poems merely for fun.

Questions of Mystery at Times of Serenity
by Po Yu-chan (fl. 1194-1229)

Register of Flying Steps of the Six Stars that Govern Fate
by Anonymous (date unknown)

Instructions on meditating on the six stars of the fictitious Southern Dipper. The stars should also be drawn on the soles of the feet.

Requisite Knowledge for the Alchemical Laboratory
by Wu Wu (c.1163)

Recommends that clean clothes always be worn in the laboratory, and no women, Buddhist monks, chickens, or dogs allowed to enter.

Rhapsody of the Gate of the Dark Female
by Yu Yen (fl. 1253-1296)

Rules on Purple Tablets: The Book of Blazing Light Created by Transformation

The text purportedly materialized from a condensation of light and divine breath. Includes instructions on developing long-distance vision.

Scripture and Chart for the Contemplation of Man-Bird Mountain

Scripture for Saving Deceased Parents from Distress in Future Lives

The Scripture of the Essentials of the Clear Mirror

Instructions for seven methods for achieving immortality, presented in seven short paragraphs.

Scripture on the Recompense for Parental Kindness
by Chao I-chen (d. 1382)

Recommends that pious sons and daughters perform a three-year fast, corresponding to the period when infants nurse. Author of Returning to the Void, fourteen poems of twenty-eight words each.

Secret Register for Obtaining Release from Incantations and Spells from All Quarters
by Anonymous (15th century)

??Advice for when one is possessed by the spirits of earth altars, sacred areas, forest, brooks, wells, or stoves or one is the victim of spells cast by the devious masters of the?vulgar cults of the River God.

Sesame Song
by Liu Chung-yung (c. 931)

Contains only one poem. Sesame is not mentioned.

Seven Recitations of the Divine Realm with Seven Transformations for Dancing in Heaven

The latter section includes the method for transforming oneself into a cloud.

Song for Dispelling Doubts Concerning the Correct Path
by Chung-li Chan (11th century)

A single poem, which commentators note completely contradicts ideas presented by?the author in other poems.

Stabilising the Creative Forces and Making the Numinous Powers Shine Brightly

Instructions for summoning the spirits of the stars of the Big Dipper.

Superior Book of the Flying Immortals by the Sovereign of Precious Truth Cinnabar Origin

Exercises for the absorption of stellar effluvia.

Superior Scripture on the Dongfang Palace of the Brain

The title bears no relationship to the text.

Supplementary Book of the Master of the Obscure Truth
by Chang Chih-ho (fl. 752-762)

Contains three sections (Blue Void, Celestial Bird, and Spirit of the Waves). Uncertain to what it is a supplement.

Three Rhapsodies on the Origin of Chaos
by Shih Te-i (fl. 860-874)

The author found the book floating in a river, but it was not wet. That evening, the guardian of the book appeared to inform Shih that previous editions contained many mistakes and that this was the correct version.

Ten Charts for Perusal While Reclining
by Li Ssu-tsung (c.1050)

Author of The Anthology of the Abyssal Cavern.

Ten Rules for the Initial Stage of Perfection

Other versions of this text contain eighty-one rules.

Treatise on the Art of Sitting and Forgetting
by Ssu-ma Cheng-chen (647-735)

Treatise on the Calculation of the Bushel in Purple Sublimity

Divination based on the layout of eighteen partially imaginary stars. The constellation the Bushel is not mentioned.

Treatise on the Planet Venus

Contains a list of ten types of people who will either be able or unable to understand the text.

The True Method of Returning by Chariot and Completing the Way According to the Department of the Celestial Pivot

Contains a cure for insanity through handwriting analysis.

The True Scripture of the Great Cavern

Contains the Secret Formula of the Whirlwind.

The True Scripture of the White Monkey

A scripture revealed by a white monkey.

Last edited:
Wonderful list Moktan! You have a talent for discovering hidden gems. Were you a treasure hunter perchance in your previous birth? :)

Whenever we talk of 'great' books, films or music, we may actually be talking about 'great' empires. Empires which are enjoying a phase of great prosperity and power. During such a phase their culture spreads far and wide. It is widely followed, imitated and admired. The dominance of Britsh fiction until World War two, or the dominance of US fiction, films and music since then is partly due to the prosperity and power of their empires.

Our pursuit of knowledge is 'filtered' by various limitations imposed on that pursuit. The fact that I only read in English, 'filters' out books which have been written in other languages but have not been translated into English. Similarly a pursuit of knowledge or information on the internet would be 'filtered' by the results thrown up by the search engines. How often does one go beyond the first 50 results thrown up by Google/Bing/Yahoo? To live within these 'filters' of language or search engines, means that our world has been circumscribed. It has been limited and restricted by these filters. Ignorance, lack of curiosity or an arrogant, unquestioned faith in the 'supremacy' of our knowledge or belief, are far bigger filters!

Was William Shakespeare the greatest playwright of all times?
Was Fyodor Dostoevsky the greatest fiction writer who ever lived?
Is Citizen Kane really the best film ever made?
Is the music of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart really the best ever conceived in the western hemisphere?

Ultimately all lists, reviews, critiques are precisely the opinion of ONE person. Putting them down in a popular medium like a newspaper, magazine, television or history book, gives this opinion an added and sometimes enormous weightage and clout. But there is nothing universal or definitive about such a list or an opinion.

Last edited:
just finished reading THE HISTORY OF JAZZ by Ted Gioia (OUP)..interesting, encyclopaedic introduction to my favourite music... the only other book on jazz i had read earlier was the one by the poet Phillip Larkins - that was mainly compilations from the reviews that he wrote for The Daily Telegraph...the reviews were polemical in nature given Larkin's obvious dislike for the kind of 'modern' directions jazz was taking in the Bop era..
THE HISTORY OF JAZZ gives a broad but quite a detailed sweep of jazz, from its prehistory right down to the new millennium..besides plenty of technical information on the music ..the book gives the various factors- social, historical, economic etc- that was responsible for jazz taking the various shapes and forms that it did..jazz as a modern Art form in that sense is quite unique in that in the relatively short period that it has been in existence (from the rudimentary jazz of the ragtime of the last decades of the 1800s to the post modernistic impulses that flow into our times, the progression has been quite swift...almost within a span of say a 100+ years..)
the book towards the end asks a very pertinent question..after discussing the various milestones in the jazz styles ..it queries..
"Yet should we demand such perennial revolutions? Is it that the jazz world is amiss or merely our perspective? How valid is our ingrained expectation that the music should always be progressive, always break the mold, always embrace the newest new thing? Is it not enough for music to be enjoyable, intelligent , well played? On the other hand if young jazz musicians are content to work within the framework of earlier styles, why should we listen to their CDs rather than to the history making performances by Armstrong, Parker, Ellington, and other past masters that serve as blue prints for these latter day works? Why pay attention to the imitator when the original is - through the miracle of recording technology- as accessible?"
The Book doesn't provide any answers to these vexing questions that could be perhaps be asked for all types of serious, canonised music....
The writing is measured and almost academic in tone...it doesn't get carried away ..for example Buddy Rich the flamboyant drummer is put in place when his antics are described as being 'crowd pleasing'..
as for the trivia hunter there are plenty of juicy titbits ..here is one of my favourites...
"Teddy Weatherford...is a fascinating figure, best know for influencing (Earl) Hines with his intricate two-handed keyboard style, ...deserves equal credit for pioneering jazz advocacy in South Asia, where he performed from 1937 until his death in Calcutta in 1945"

Last edited:
moktan

" On the other hand if young jazz musicians are content to work within the framework of earlier styles, why should we listen to their CDs rather than to the history making performances by Armstrong, Parker, Ellington, and other past masters that serve as blue prints for these latter day works? Why pay attention to the imitator when the original is - through the miracle of recording technology- as accessible? "

It is precisely for this reason that I only listen to jazz music from the years 1935-1965. And even within this period I prefer the earlier period of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong.

Ditto for rock music. The best years were from 1962-1972. The excitement, vitality, imagination and innovation of these years has vanished and been gradually replaced by synthetic, anodized and unexciting music ever since.

A few months ago I had bought an iPad with the intention of primarily using it as an e-book reader. I finally downloaded the Kindle appliance today morning. I had to access my iTunes a/c for downloading the appliance. I registered the Kindle reader using my Amazon a/c.

E-books can only be downloaded from the Amazon US sites. Downloads through the Whispernet take only a few seconds. The whole thing works wonderfully well. I began by downloading a few free classics. Flaubert's Madame Bovary. Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Hugo's Les Miserables. Dostoevsky's Crime And Punishment.

My first paid download was The Complete Works of Plato, translated by Benjamin Jowett. I have been looking for this book for a long time, but bookshops no longer carry works of philosophy, drama or poetry. Even great novels are disappearing from bookstores to be replaced by, what can be best described as, bestselling trash. Unlike a lot of later philosophers Plato is a pleasure to read and the Jowett translation has stood the test of time. Plato's mentor Socrates regarded philosophy as the highest form of human activity with all other arts, sciences and pursuits being subservient to it. Western civilization, thought and philosophy begins with Socrates as seen through the lens of Plato. And the key to this knowledge only costs 3.99$ :)

Amazon.com: THE COMPLETE WORKS OF PLATO (Special Illustrated Edition with Commentary by Oxford University's Benjamin Jowett) FULL COLOR ILLUSTRATED VERSION: All the ... Aristotle) | The Complete Works Collection) eBook: Plato, The Republic by Pla

My first paid download was The Complete Works of Plato, translated by Benjamin Jowett. ... the Jowett translation has stood the test of time.

Dr. Benjamin Jowett was a celebrated Master of Balliol (College of the University of Oxford). The following lines about him have often been quoted:

"First come I, my name is Jowett,
There's no knowledge but I know it,
I am Master of this College,
What I don't know - is not knowledge."

Margot Asquith in her "Autobiography" has said "both as tutor and as examiner he may be said to have stimulated the study of Plato in Oxford: he made it a rival to that of Aristotle.

"Aristotle is dead," he would say," but Plato is alive." ...He continued working hard at his translation of the whole of Plato; he had already published notes on the Republic and analyses of the dialogue. This took up all his time till 1878, when he became Master of Balliol."

Regards.

Kafka-Complete Works
Will buy Murakami IQ84 today. Apparently he took three years to write it
Dynamic Golf.
And get some airport fiction for my flight later this afternoon. Maybe an Eric Von Lustbader

Since the first two volumes of IQ84 were translated into English by Jay Rubin and the third volume by Philip Gabriel, Harvill Secker seems to have released the book in two volumes in England. The US edition was released as a single volume by Knopf. Both the editions are appearing on the Flipkart website and it seems that the Harvill edition now available for pre order may be in a single volume.

Books, 1Q84 ~ Haruki Murakami - Official UK Site

Murakami Midnight Openings in Celebration of 1Q84 ? Knopf Doubleday - Knopf

Flipkart.com: 1Q84: Books 1, 2 And 3: Book: Haruki Murakami (9781846555497)

Flipkart.com: 1q84: Book: Haruki Murakami (9780307593313)

1Q84 eBook: Haruki Murakami: Amazon.co.uk: Books

moktan

Like Kafka On The Shore, IQ84 too seems to have plenty of cats :)

An excerpt from the book:

Haruki Murakami: Town of Cats : The New Yorker

read somewhere...was it a blurb biography that Murakami (or is it his wife?) owns a jazz bar called Peter Cat..i am tempted to google but then wanted to get back to that prelapsarian state of blissful ignorance where certain things are left in the twilight of vagueness...
...and because there is some talk of translation here i want to relate what i 'found in translation'..
In the short story collection The Elephant Vanishes(my best Murakami book) there is an offbeat tale called Lederhosen. In that story there is a conversation between a Japanese housewife and a German salesman in a lederhosen store in Hamburg. The conversation happens in broken English specially of the heavily German accented shopkeeper of the apparel store. Nothing especial until you realize what the translators have pulled off.
The story originally was written in Japanese.
So here you have a rendition in English of a conversation in Germanized English that originally took place in a Japanese story...
or so i think....

Yes. Murakami has or at least had a jazz bar called Peter Cat. And he has a great feel for music. I really enjoyed reading his comments on Schubert and other composers in Kafka On The Shore.

Check out Cloud Atlas, Ghostwritten and Number9Dream by David Mitchell. DM is a Brit who has lived in Japan. Most of his books are based in Japan. Cloud and Ghost are the two most absolutely unputdownable books I have read in a long, long time.

The 10 essential works of 20th century fiction:

1.Remembrance Of Things Past/Marcel Proust
2.The Trial/Franz Kafka
3.The Book Of Disquiet/Fernando Pessoa
4.Ulysses/James Joyce
5.Ficciones/Jorge Luis Borges
6.The Man Without Qualities/Robert Musil
7.Petersburg/Andrei Bely
8.The Master And Margarita/Mikhail Bulgakov
9.Lolita/Vladimir Nabokov
10.The Death Of Ricardo Reis/Jose Saramago

And non fiction?

Sometimes in non fiction the content trumps style.

Papillon
Rickenbacker
Father and Son

and in both style and content

The Best and the Brightest
The Reckoning
both by David Halberstam

among others

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back