Reading

ajay124

Any one on the forum interested in,what is normally referred to as 'Literature'?
I seldom use that word,because in the context of the Indian education system (heavily science oriented,to the point of completely ignoring the arts) 'Literature' means that one,solitary play of William Shakespeare and a handful of poems of M/S Wordsworth,Keats and Shelley,which are rammed into the reluctant,indifferent minds of most school children.
Literature for me simply means good fiction..Fyodor Dostoevesky,Gustave Flaubert,Franz Kafka or in the modern context Vladmir Nabokov,Gabriel Garcia Marquez,Ismail Kadare...
I became a member (in my dad's name.i was deemed too young) of the Simla Munucipal Library at the age of 11,and dived headlong into the world of Alistair Maclean,Oliver Strange,Agatha Christie,PG Wodehouse,James Hadley Chase.In the next few years I revelled in the best sellers of those times...Robert Ludlum,Arthur Hailey,Leon Uris,Wilbur Smith,Ken Follet,Jeffrey Archer,Harold Robbins,Mario Puzo,Jacqueline Susann...finishing of my school years with a manic obsession for the 'philosophy' :sad: of Ayn Rand.
For 'higher' education :) I left Simla for Chandigarh.Ostensibly,I was supposed to be graduating in Commerce,but I spent less time in college and more in the Central State Library and the Rose Garden,smoking and reading.
From the moment I first entered a library in Simla,I stopped paying attention to my teachers,parents,elders,preachers and those silly pieces of obnoxious,yellow paper called newspaper and magazine.Whatever 'education' I have received,I credit to the great fiction writers of Europe,America and Latin America.And later to the poets and philosophers of the West.

brother i think i know and feel what you are trying to say here...
our reading curve follows a similar progression as our listening lists...
you mention Ludlum et al...and then Rand and finally Latin America..i think i empathize with your journey....
hope in all this, there was/is still that constant hum, that background noise of poetry...
Rilke, Baudelaire, Cummings, Paz, Borges....
ah..what we would do without this vital spark that fuels our higher existence..as high if nor higher than the music that we seek to 'see' through the window of our audiophile contraptions...
poetry on the other hand is an exercise more immediately accessible..all it needs is the receptacle of our sensitive souls...

@Moktan
Reading was/is my first passion.Even music takes second place to that.
Read more of poetry now,because with constant surfing on the web,my attention span has taken a hit.Much easier to read a few poems by Neruda,than
la recherche du temps perdu".I've never been able to finish Proust's masterpiece.Ditto Ullyses by James Joyce.Have never even dared to begin Finnegan's Wake!But over the years,mostly in the 20-35 years,I have read most of the major fiction/play writers from,Europe,Latin America and North America.British fiction has never been my cuppa-tea,except for Joyce,Lawrence,Ian McEwan,David Mitchell.I enjoy Shakespeare in small doses,but for drama,Ibsen is it.
Consider Robert Musil's "The Man Without Qualities" as possibly,the greatest novel of modern times.Should be essential reading for every graduation course in every field.All these techno geeks being reproduced like rabbits by our system of education are truly a sorry lot.Masters of the hi-tech universe but total duds as far as the Arts are concerned.Robotic rather than human.

Last edited:
Finnegan's Wake

i "cleverly" bought this book -

if that man was alive - i would kill him if i could -

but, in mitigation, -

the man is of irish descent, had a hard life, and ended up with a schizophrenic daughter

"-Joyce's daughter Lucia, born in Trieste in 1907, become Carl Jung's patient in 1934. In her teens, she studied dance, and later The Paris Times praised her skills as choreographer, linguist, and performer. With her father she collaborated in POMES PENYEACH (1927), for which she did some illustrations. Lucia's great love was Samuel Beckett, who was not interested in her. In the 1930s, she started to behave erratically. At the Burghlz psychiatric clinic in Zurich, where Jung worked, she was diagnosed schizophrenic. Joyce was left bitter at Jung's analysis of his daughter - Jung thought she was too close with her father's psychic system. In revenge, Joyce played in Finnegans Wake with Jung's concepts of Animus and Anima. Lucia died in a mental hospital in Northampton, England, in 1982.-"

more details here-

James Joyce - Books, Biography, Quotes - Read Print

wanting to keep critics busy for three hundred years!!!! - fellow must have lost his marbles by then - and lost the plot:)

Last edited:
@Suri
Finnegan's Wake:)
"riverrun, past Eve and Adams, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth, Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d'amores,fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war; nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's giorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time...."

I read the first page and fled,leaving all my literary aspirations behind.Have never ventured that-a-way again.But Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man,Dubliners,Ullysses have beautiful prose.

"I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. Ulysses

His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling,like the descent of their last end,upon all the living and the dead The Dead

@suri u lyk Finnegan's Wake???

Now try Laurence Sterne's Tristam Shandy. Guarantee you'll love it....

@suri u lyk Finnegan's Wake???

Now try Laurence Sterne's Tristam Shandy. Guarantee you'll love it....

@Suri
After you finish Finnegan's Wake,some more books you can read:)
Critique of Pure Reason/Immanuel Kant
The World As Will And Idea/Arthur Schopenhauer
Being And Nothingness/Jean Paul Sartre

It was a dark and stormy night ...

But that won't deter the Red Baron ...

The Sopwith Camel is riddled with holes from the last encounter ... 'Curse You, Red Baron ' !!!

But is it still airworthy and the Flying Ace is on the prowl ...

But only till the 'Round-Headed Kid' brings lunch. Evan an Ace can't fight a war on an empty stomach !!!

Schroeder, oblivious to all this, is totally focused on playing Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G Minor on his toy piano.

The round-headed kid has in the meantime developed a new philosophy. He now only dreads one day at a time ....

Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz. This what I am reading these days, every morning, in my newspaper. (sometimes the only thing that I am reading in the paper !!!)

This is to let you guys know my level of reading.

I have read most of the authors that Ajay has mention (Ludlum, Hailey, Archer, Wodehouse etc) and forgotten all of them. In spite of books being thrust upon me by my friends, I have not read a book from end to end for a while. I was contemplating getting back to Wodehouse just to find out if I still like it the way I used to.

So, if I have to take baby steps into the world of 'Literature' as defined by Ajay, I would like to, out of curiosity, know where I should start. I would prefer Humour to Drama.

Regards,

Sunil

literature -where should I start? Sunil

depends - but before you start buying books - borrow and start reading at random -

you will come across books that you cannot put down - and others that you put down after the third page -

and once you know what you like - you could, perhaps, build a personal library of (un-read) books - and keep them for special days - just like that 18 year old single malt whisky.

i, personally, detest fiction these days.

Suri,

My friends have dropped three books on my lap a of now, urging me to read. 'Accused' and 'Color of Law' by Mark Gimenez and 'Toll for the Brave' by Jack Higgins. These kind of books and suggestions, I get plenty.

Ajay said:
Finnegan's Wake

"riverrun, past Eve and Adams, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth, Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d'amores,fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war; nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's giorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time...."

If I start reading the above, I might start drinking a lot more than I am right now :lol:

I am sort of looking for a beginners introduction to the likes of Finnegan's Wake or such to see if I have a taste for that kind of writing.

Suri said:
just like that 18 year old single malt whisky.

hehe, it's an 18 year old Blended Whiskey and it might be polished of this weekend. :D

Regards,

Sunil

@Sunil
Stuff like Jack Higgins/Jeffrey Archer/Paul Coehlo/Robin Sharma and the rest of the bestseller brigade,should ideally be read at the age of 12,and discarded by the time one is 15.Most bestsellers are badly written and have an overload of cliches,gimmicks and 'formulas' which have worked in the past.It's a mystery that grown ups can find these guys 'entertaining' and illuminating.

Q.What do helpless readers read?
A.Self help books!
Q.What do eternally clueless readers read?
A.Newspapers:eek: and Magazines.
As readers most of these guys are beyond redemption.The only thing which could really help them,would be to go back to school,and make a fresh start.A school with a good library.
I am taking your advise and posting with abandon:)But I think I will only do it once a month.Don't want to ruffle too many feathers.:)

Some classic fiction one could begin with:
The Brother's Karamazov/Fyodor Dostoevesky
Crime And Punishment/Fyodor Dostoevesky
The Possessed/Fyodor Dostoevesky
The Idiot/Fyodor Dostoevesky
War And Peace/Leo Tolstoy
Anna Karenin/Leo Tolstoy
Madame Bovary/Gustav Flaubert
The Red And The Black/Stendhal
The Charterhouse Of Parma/Stendhal
Don Quixote/Miguel De Cervante
Candide/Voltaire
Dead Souls/Nikolai Gogol
Fathers And Sons/Ivan Turgenev
Short Stories/Anton Chekov
The Trial/Franz Kafka
Short Stories/Franz Kafka
Moby Dick/Herman Melville
The Scarlet Letter/Nathaniel Hawthorne
Nostromo/Joseph Conrad
The Man Without Qualities/Robert Musil
The Book Of Disquiet/Fernando Pessoa
Pere Goroit/Honore Balzac
Buddenbrooks/Thomas Mann
The Magic Mountain/Thomas Mann
Women In Love/D.H.Lawrence
Sons And Lovers/D.H.Lawrence
The Portrait Of A Lady/Henry James
An American Tragedy/Theodore Dreiser

Add Borges,Calvino and Kundera.

Modern Fiction

Remembrance Of Things Past/Marcel Proust
Ullysses/James Joyce
Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man/James Joyce
Dubliners/James Joyce
Lolita/Vladmir Nabokov
Ada/Vladmir Nabokov
Invitation To A Beheading/Vladmir Nabokov
The Stranger/Albert Camus
The Fall/Albert Camus
Nausea/Jean Paul Sartre
Man's Fate/Andre Malraux
The Counterfeiters/Andre Gide
Light In August/William Faulkner
The Sound And The Fury/William Faulkner
The Sun Also Rises/Ernest Hemingway
For Whom The Bells Toll/Ernest Hemingway
The Great Gatsby/F.Scott Fitzgerald
Tender Is The Night/F.Scott.Fitzgerald
The Heart Of The Matter/Graham Greene
Brighton Rock/Graham Greene
Ficciones/Jorge Luis Borges
One Hundred Years Of Solitude/Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Love In The Times Of Cholera/Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Autumn Of The Patriarch/Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Baltasar And Blimunda/Jose Saramago
The Death Of Ricardo Reis/Jose Saramago
The Seige/Ismail Kadare
The Successor/Ismail Kadare
Broken April/Ismail Kadare
Conversations In The Cathedral/Mario Vargas Llosa
Aunt Julia And The Scriptwriter
The Tin Drum/Gunther Grass
Hopscotch/Julio Cortazar
Midnight's Children/Salman Rushdie
The Engineer Of Human Souls/Josef Skvorecky
Dvorak In Love/Josef Skvorecky
Closely Watched Trains/Bohumil Hrabal
Too Loud A Solitude/Bohumil Hrabal
The Book Of Laughter And Forgetting/Milan Kundera
The Unbearable Lightness Of Being/Milan Kundera
Invisible Cities/Italo Calvino
Judge On Trial/Ivan Klima
My Name Is Red/Orhan Pamuk
A Tale Of Love And Darkness/Amos Oz
The Rosy Crucifixion/Henry Miller
Herzog/Saul Bellow
The Adventures Of Augie March/Saul Bellow
Rabbit (4)/John Updike
Portnoy's Complaint/Philip Roth
My Life As A Man/Philip Roth
Armies Of The Night/Norman Mailer
The Executioner's Song/Norman Mailer
All The King's Men/Robert Warren Penn
Under The Volcano/Malcolm Lowry
Catcher In The Rye/J.D.Salinger
The Group/Mary Mccarthy
The Bell Jar/Sylvia Plath
Underworld/Dom De Lilo
Gravity's Rainbow/Thomas Pynchon
Myra Breckinridge/Gore Vidal
In Cold Blood/Truman Capote
Atonement/Ian Mcewan
Cloud Atlas/David Mitchell

Ajay..
your reading list makes me go through similar pangs of nostalgic as your list of music....
who can believe that..there was a time when i felt that a hallucinatory tale of a disintegrating drunkard (under the volcano) was what i would consider the greatest novel ever..another Lowry opus was called The Ultramarine..untidy genius)...
but as far as wordsmiths are concerned it will have to be Henry Miller , who besides the Sexus Plexus Nexus trilogy also gave us the The Colossus of Marousi...travel writing I find that is a league above Seth (Heaven's Lake) Pico Iyer and Chatwin ....

Last edited:
Ajay..
your reading list makes me go through similar pangs of nostalgia as your list of music....
who can believe that..there was a time when i felt that a hallucinatory tale of a disintegrating drunkard (under the volcano) was what i would consider the greatest novel ever..another Lowry opus was called The Ultramarine..untidy genius)...
but as far as wordsmiths are concerned it will have to be Henry Miller , who besides the Sexus Plexus Nexus trilogy also gave us the The Colossus of Marousi...travel writing I find that is a league above Seth (Heaven's Lake) Pico Iyer and Chatwin ....

@Moktan
Henry Miller was numero uno for me,for a few years.I remember,in the university hostel in Simla,I successfully weaned several friends away from their Harold Robbins and Frederick Forsyth's.The major reason they had for reading bestsellers was to experience a bit of vicarious sex and violence,in order to overcome the boredom of the management books we were mugging.The erotic passages in Tropic Of Cancer just blew them away.They had never experienced anything like this in their Betsy's and Godfather's.:)
But ever since I stated reading Nabokov,I am convinced that he is one of the greatest prose stylists ever.Any modern writer would sell his soul and all his worldly possessions to write like Vladmir Nabokov.
Vladimir Nabokov Centennial | Lolita: an excerpt

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back