ReBangalore DIY workshop?

Was a good meet. Lots of hot cuties or as antony would put it QT. A good start to terms in speaker builds like FS without the BS. Anilva kicked off with a good intro setting the basics straight. I hope one future session has him going in-depth on building a horn speaker. Antony really went deep into all that went into building a speaker with the computer programs to do the measurements basically covering things from start to finish. George covered subs showing us how easy it was to build it enclosures included. And we have a new guy sunil who expanded on sealed ported horn subs. Will hopefully be seeing him on the forum soon!

No official photographer here are couple of pics others will upload what they took. Forgot the group snap :(

Anilva in full flow

1011d550.jpg

Antony doing his session

0c58057e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well organised meet, spl thanks to Raghumailbox for the lovely venue. Sincere thanks to Anilva, George, Tanthony & Sunil for taking pains to readying the content & educating noob like me. Great to meet all the avid DIYers & aspirants.

Great show.:clapping::clapping:

Was a good meet. Lots of hot cuties or as antony would put it QT. A good start to terms in speaker builds like FS without the BS. Anilva kicked off with a good intro setting the basics straight. I hope one future session has him going in-depth on building a horn speaker. Antony really went deep into all that went into building a speaker with the computer programs to do the measurements basically covering things from start to finish. George covered subs showing us how easy it was to build it enclosures included. And we have a new guy sunil who expanded on sealed ported horn subs. Will hopefully be seeing him on the forum soon!
Thanks Steve and Captain, seems like I missed a lot. Sunil is already on the forum as sunilj.

It was an excellent meet, though the promised attendance did not happen. However there were enough die hard DIY nuts to justify the event. I am quite happy that I could meet many characters from the forum and put a face to the moniker.

Excellent bunch of people I would say and very keen on picking up the nuances of DIY speaker building. There were lot of genuine questions and well answered as well. I had to leave little early and hence could not interact much and will definitely make it up in the next meet.

Thanks to George for putting this together and for Anutone for being an excellent host again for this HFV Bangalore session.

Cheers

Thanks Anil, your presentation was both illuminating and concise. Antony had enough technical stuff to satisfy those inclined that way. Doing the workshop( thanks to Anutone!) to share our ideas was both enjoyable, as well as a good opportunity to network with others.

It was a bit disappointing that people who indicated they would be there, didnt inform Raghu of their no show-that was , to put it mildly, impolite. We understand if people can't come, but hey at least inform your host that you can't make it!

FWIW, T Antony has identified a Peerless 12 inch sub driver, which is available locally-either from Jeetubhai or Sumit Khanna in Delhi for around 2800. It can be combined with a 3 cft sealed or ported alignment, and if anyone can lay their hands on a suitable a plate amp , can easily do a good sub for well under 15K, which will kick ass. While it wont equal a high end DIY sub using drivers like a Dayton or Shiva which cost $200-250 + shipping, it is a good entry point for anyone wanting to enter DIY on a budget. In case anyone wants to get enclosure details, please PM me with your personal email id, I will mail you diagrams of enclosure, baffle and sheet cutting, using 3/4 inch MDF.

If anyone has any followup questions, please post here so that others can also share in the exchange of ideas.

A big thanks to Raghu and the good folx at Anutone for their excellent hospitality :clapping:

A big thanks is just not good enough for all the gyaan shared by Anil, Anthony, George and Sunil. Its got me all kicked up and I'm sure the others are just as excited...finally I can make some sense of the funky graphs that we see next to speaker specs. Lots of questions...and more to come.

Though the attendance was not as expected, those who were there were a serious bunch. Good to meet you all! Felt nice to see people like Capt. Rajesh and Microflex travelling great distance just to be here :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Adding to what the other attendees have said, Thanks to Raghu and Anutone for the venue and hospitality. The organisers and presenters for a good job. It was also good meeting other forum members as always. I am sure the session will help everyone in furthering the hobby.

Can't but echo the sentiments.

I have spent 100s of hours over the past year reading/researching/learning about audio reproduction. I would count the four hours I spent at the meet amongst the most useful.

Thanks to George, Anil, Antony, Sunil and Raghu for organizing it. I assure you I will be a few builds older when we meet next time :)

No matter how much one tries, sitting in a corner, at ones desk, reading up on something does not help ... not as much as being around people who have been there done that ... observing their sense of ease and confidence about things that one is only still struggling to grasp...

The meet has rubbed in to me, a "get going" practical "just do it" attitude and I am no longer afraid of failure in my first speaker building project. :eek:hyeah:

In fact since I know where to get the wood cutting done, I don't think I will even hire a carpenter - makes it more personal and intimate, and gives me a sense of freedom for 2nd and 3rd attempts, building multiple speaker enclosures to try (since all I need is an uncomplicated sealed box).

And I would rather rely on my own innate quest for perfection to get it right ... more than get frustrated by the lousy labour market and their cheap short cut attitudes.

Thanks to all the presenters for the hard work in preparing the presentations and their passion for mentoring freshers. I saw some slides and an agenda that would taken ages to prepare with a lot "sweat" and personal time behind their experience over the years. :clapping:

Ps: It was good to see the faces and meet the person behind the handles on HFV

--G0bble
:)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for being there and allowing us to share our experiences. The enthusiasm & questions were really good, the type I asked but got no straight answers.

Hope the session was useful enough to start, as Rahul put it 'just do it'. The success or failure of your first build increases the itch for the second which cannot but get better and eventually you'll hit the nail on the spot.

Every build is a learning & very satisfying experience. I've done 6, all types, and am still learning.

It was nice to get together yesterday and meet many of the fellow members. Cant thank the organizer and presenters for the wonderful session :clapping:
Hope to see more of these in the coming months.

My sincere thanks to George, Anilva, Antony and Sunil for their in depth presentation. In fact most of the topics covered was new to me as I just got into DIY, just a months back with Linuxguru's gainclone amp. While Anil presented details and kinds of speakers, Antoy took us in detail how to measure various parameters to build a good speaker system using softwares available, how to read manufacturers spec, and then Sunil explained how to make an affective Sub woofer and what all need to be considered. Then Goerge concluded it and by demonstrating how easily we can make a sub woofer without even going to a carpenter. He took the trouble of physically bringing all the components including a half built enclosure, baffle, amp and drivers and proved that we can build a neat looking and effective sub woofer without much hastle. I am sure all of the presenters would have spent lot of their precious time to prepare the contents for a such a wonderful event.

How can we forget Anutone and Raghu for providing the space, refreshments and for their hospitality and wonderful arrangements. Thank you guys.

Sunil

Thanks for taking the time to join us as well as the input on opening up possibilities on tapped horns. After listening to your presentation, I am half inclined to do one myself! Yes, I agree with an earlier post-having people who "have been there, done that",does give newbies a sense of confidence

Cheers

George

Half a day well spent,thanks Anil,George,Anto and Sunil for all your efforts and Raghav and Anutone for their hospitality,planning to start off with a DIY Sub...:clapping::clapping:

Thanks to Anutone and Raghu for hosting this meet and George, Anil, Antony and Sunil for inspiring talks. It is encouraging for newbies to get into DIY with such folks around.

I had one request. Can we make a repository of important tools/online resources that can be used by everyone who are interested in DIY? I felt such a repository will help everyone, especially the newbies. For example, if I want to build a bookshelf, I want to know which tool to use for crossover design, what are box dimensions etc. I think there are some things that one has to figure out himself and cannot be hand held at every step. But basic software and hardware tools/guidelines are always helpful.

Thanks
Balaji

Thanks Raghu ,George, Anil, Antony and Sunil for doing the extra mile ,
And as you all have said your prepration were 4-5 time more than the presentation,but my understandding is this was worth more than 4-5 times of what we could have assimilated over months/years of painfull researching.

Will follow up to share some of the snapshots of what I had taken with my mobile phone (Since I missed the earlier session - I could not cover all) . Please do not mind the photo quality as these are not the photos, but random images from the movie recording. And later will follow up with the movies.( upload to youtube is failing - some timeout errors ).

Thanks again to all.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back