Reciever for Wharfdale Obsidian 600 HT Package

ankitbhargava

I have been using Denon 2113 CI past 2 and half years with my Wharfdale Obsidian 600 HT Package.

Somehow even after this period of using it I am not really impressed with the "effects" (punch, door shut, waves, firing, bombing) I experience while watching movies. (Mostly DTS content).

Now that my Denon is on repair I am making up mind to buy a new Reciever and need suggestions.

Had been looking at Marantz SR 5009/6009 and Onkyo 838 but being in small town I do not have much opportunity to do auditions.

Havent much decided on budget but do not want to miss the better one this time assuming I probably would not change the Speakers right now.

Its going to be used only and only for Movies.

Spoke to Kripa Electronics (Distributor of Denon) and Satish quoted that 2113 is equivalent of X2100.

I have an option to give existing 2113 in buy back and upgrade to X3100

Is it recommended against say Marantz 6009?

am no HT guy but i would look at speakers..

the center speaker first
then subwoofer - velodyne impact 12 i assume would be good enough..
then fronts
then rears

Paradigm is a very good brand .... look for deals on the center speaker like CC290 / CC390 etc..

These are discontinued but lap them up if you get them.. i used to own the CC290 before and its a wonderful center. The new range is costlier but would do a very similar job so i would stick to NOS if available.

since yours is a 120 inch screen i assume its a large room

rgds

With your Denon 2113, did you do the Audyssey calibration ?

If Audyssey calibration is important then go for Denon (or) Marantz... Denon X 3100 & Marantz SR 6009 are in the same league...

Onkyo have dropped the Audyssey Calibration in the last year models & have included their own calibration Accu EQ...Not sure how good it is... But Onkyo's do an excellent job for movies...

With your Denon 2113, did you do the Audyssey calibration ?

If Audyssey calibration is important then go for Denon (or) Marantz... Denon X 3100 & Marantz SR 6009 are in the same league...

Onkyo have dropped the Audyssey Calibration in the last year models & have included their own calibration Accu EQ...Not sure how good it is... But Onkyo's do an excellent job for movies...

Yes I did calibration and was on that only, just tweaked crossover from suggested 40/40/40 to 80/40/40

Getting a good deal for 6009 (approx 68K) and unit seems to be an imported one while Denon X3100 best offer is about 99K

Assuming I am not upgrading my HT, would change in sound quality from DEnon 2113 to Marantz 6009 be really worth?

Last edited:
am no HT guy but i would look at speakers..

the center speaker first
then subwoofer - velodyne impact 12 i assume would be good enough..
then fronts
then rears

Paradigm is a very good brand .... look for deals on the center speaker like CC290 / CC390 etc..

These are discontinued but lap them up if you get them.. i used to own the CC290 before and its a wonderful center. The new range is costlier but would do a very similar job so i would stick to NOS if available.

since yours is a 120 inch screen i assume its a large room

rgds

I was actually considering the Center Speaker upgrade and had posted in another thread. Thanks for your suggestion

Room size is 17 X 16

Okay

so I have kind of made up my mind for Marantz

Have 2 deals to pick up from

6009 @ Rs. 68K
7008 @ Rs. 84K

I am sure I would not go beyond 7.1 setup but presently only 5.1
With present AVR, I have been sing additional channels to biamp and it DID make a difference in sound quality.

Would there be a significant difference in performance and sound quality of 6009 and 7008 to spend additional 16K

Or whould I go ahead and buy 6009 and invest into a better Center Channel, have been recommended Wharfedale Diamond 100 series in another thread.

Thanks for all valuable suggestions in this forum.

Polk all the way for only movies and only movies. Polk is in a different league altogether. Check the rti series and with that recommend a denon avr. This time inquire for extended warranty or something. Check some nearby stores for denon+polk

This time inquire for extended warranty or something. Check some nearby stores for denon+polk
AYlgpr

Any day for many people (includes me), a speaker change / upgrade gives a better / perceived improvement in Sound Quality. If you have sufficient area to put a better center then it works out better. But you might benefit with a better sub too.
This is not a thumb rule and it is very individual. For me a better performing center+ normal sub vs normal center + better sub, I will always go for the first choice.

Also, Audyssey or another EQ system is all about what it thinks it is better but at the end of the day, you can always dial in to your liking. I would not give too much weightage to the exact parameters set by Audyssey but take them as broader strokes and use my liking dial in for individual levels on speakers.

Any day for many people (includes me), a speaker change / upgrade gives a better / perceived improvement in Sound Quality. If you have sufficient area to put a better center then it works out better. But you might benefit with a better sub too.
This is not a thumb rule and it is very individual. For me a better performing center+ normal sub vs normal center + better sub, I will always go for the first choice.

Also, Audyssey or another EQ system is all about what it thinks it is better but at the end of the day, you can always dial in to your liking. I would not give too much weightage to the exact parameters set by Audyssey but take them as broader strokes and use my liking dial in for individual levels on speakers.

I believe the Sub (Velodyne Impact 12) is known amognst performers in this budget so not working on that as of now but surely a good center is required. Quest is already on :)

In my other thread I have been recommended Wharfedale 100 series

If I change the speakers, probably would change all of them togather.

Another sad news is my Denon AVR which I sent to KEI for repair came back almost broken from all sides. The entire chasis and body has dents. They sent back without insuarnce from a very local transport company. I shall write the experience and post pictures in a separate thread.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back