Record Cleaning Machine - Which One Is Worth It?

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi guys! With about 2000 odd LP's and with the urge to listen to any particular one at any given time, i feel the need for a RCM that will clean and dry in a jiffy!

The most noted amongst these machines seems to be the VPI 16.5.

Is it really the best? Are more brands available in India?

Further, a couple of friends on and off the forum seem to believe that the Disc Doctor package at less than USD 100 seems to do the cleaning job at about 90% as good as the VPI 16.5.

Is that true?

I hope the few who have experiences with either or both, will help me here in making the correct decision!

Hi guys! With about 2000 odd LP's and with the urge to listen to any particular one at any given time, i feel the need for a RCM that will clean and dry in a jiffy!

Further, a couple of friends on and off the forum seem to believe that the Disc Doctor package at less than USD 100 seems to do the cleaning job at about 90% as good as the VPI 16.5.

Is that true?

I hope the few who have experiences with either or both, will help me here in making the correct decision!

HI Malvai,

KAB EV1 is a good budget option.
KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com
Or if you have a spare TT you can also make DIY RCM its not that difficult.
DIY record cleaning machine (RCM) consolidation and resource thread - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regards,

Sachin

I second the 16.5 - however dont use VPI brushes They are rather coarse. Disk Doctor brushes are excellent. Other machines to look inot are Nitty Gritty, Opera Consonance (vacuum tube based cleaning)....

Is that true?

>>>

Pardon me for asking some basic questions :

1. Isn't using a clean, soft cotton cloth damped in plain water an effective way of cleaning records?

2. Is the RCM a neccessity when speed of cleaning is important?

3. Is the needle/stylus required to be cleaned every time the record is turned over?

4. How should I clean an MC stylus? ( This might have been asked and answered elsewhere in the forum; if so please point me to the right place, thank you)

Regards

Issigonis,

Get in touch with Prem, he has some nifty+VFM+easy to use cleaning gear for LP's & needle/stylus. Do not have the exact details hence not posting have baked info here, but saw it in action & found it too good :)

Manav, I think the same will be useful for you as well :)

>>>

1. Isn't using a clean, soft cotton cloth damped in plain water an effective way of cleaning records?
It is quite effective, but some very noisy records need deeper groove cleaning...

I'd say yes! because the vacuum dries up the record and hence the record can be played instantly.... no waiting for it dry!

3. Is the needle/stylus required to be cleaned every time the record is turned over?
Ideally yes! i use Onzow zero Dust cleaner... its a gel based thingee. one just lowers the cart / tip on it and it gently pulls out the dirt. you'd be amazed at how much of gunk comes out!

4. How should I clean an MC stylus? ( This might have been asked and answered elsewhere in the forum; if so please point me to the right place, thank you)
this has been answered in the point above!

Regards

Issigonis,

Get in touch with Prem, he has some nifty+VFM+easy to use cleaning gear for LP's & needle/stylus. Do not have the exact details hence not posting have baked info here, but saw it in action & found it too good :)

Manav, I think the same will be useful for you as well :)

Bro! I use the same stuff that he has! except for the spin clean... i want to explore an easier/convenient option in comparison to the spin clean....

:D Manav, in that case what you are currently doing is the easiest/FOC !!! Your method of cleaning is not only easy but pretty much fool proof too :)

:D Manav, in that case what you are currently doing is the easiest/FOC !!! Your method of cleaning is not only easy but pretty much fool proof too :)

its is... but bro, going rub-a-dub-dub for so many LP's gets tiresome after a bit!

>>>

Regards
Hi,

I use magic eraser for stylus cleaning.This is very effective method for cleaning the stylus.I have bought it from Ebay in $2.Some reviews:
Turntable Forum :: View topic - Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Magic Eraser- Finally Tested for Myself. - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Regards,
Sachin

its is... but bro, going rub-a-dub-dub for so many LP's gets tiresome after a bit!

Hey, you invented that method, you should persevere :lol:

I also feel the need for just such a device to take away the monotony. Also the zero paisa method, cheap and cheerful though it is - and having served me well, can't go deep into the groove to dig out obstinate dirt.

Lol, just saw the pics of the 16.5, looks like a deck itself :D

Manav Bhai, by the looks of it, usme bhi jhunjhat kam nahi hai! Suggest you stick to your 'invented method' & invest the amount saved in buying more LP's ;)

looks like i'll go with denom's suggestion and maybe just buy a spin clean pack... the extra $$$ can go into buying new LPs!

@manav : with vast collection as your you need cleaning and drying machine as waiting for drying is time consuming and some how if one wipes records with dry cloth dust gathers like magnet. If spin clean is your choice anti static gun can be very useful too.
@sachu888 : good links there. Thanks

thanx hiten... me-thinks i'll go for the spin clean + anti-static gun + cartridge demagnetiser+ fosgate fosgometer...

if i go for a VPI all the items mentioned will have to take a backseat.

Why spend Rs. 10,000 on azimuth setting. If one has test record why not hook up with PC and with recording software check level and adjust it ? Would be easy and precise.

Or am I missing something ?

Also saved monies can be used to buy 'more' records :D:licklips::D

Last edited:
Why spend Rs. 10,000 on azimuth setting. If one has test record why not hook up with PC and with recording software check level and adjust it ? Would be easy and precise.

Interesting.

Does one need some sort of a A-to-D to plug in TT's output (or is it phono stage output) to the PC/laptop?
Joshua

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back