Reel-to-reel enthusiasts?

I wish to buy few pre recorded reel to reel tapes especially of Indian music. Let me know if someone know where to find. Thanks

I wish to buy few pre recorded reel to reel tapes especially of Indian music. Let me know if someone know where to find. Thanks
I have googled it and searched it all over but I have not been able to find any pre-recorded 3 3/4 or 7 1/2 IPS reels with Indian music - classical or Bollywood. I guess it was not a popular format among the masses and reels were expensive even in those times(60s-70s). Growing up I saw several relatives playing spools with private recordings but never saw an Indian commercially distributed pre-recorded reel.
I love pre-recorded 7 1/2 IPS reels specially western classical on Ampex reels. Sharing picture of my Technics 1500 here.

Attachments

• BD84DCBD-D570-4F95-ADBA-6BFF50970C45.jpeg
    BD84DCBD-D570-4F95-ADBA-6BFF50970C45.jpeg
    569.7 KB · Views: 35
This is a very valid point, in those times, say the 60s and 70s in India, you were likely to find mono portable Grundig or Telefunken tape recorders in select house holds (especially if they were upwardly mobile). It was a common practice to carry one's tape recorder to a friend's home are record some of his LPs or 45s on tape or make mix tapes from the radio (i even recall Dad and I, listening to a Jim Reeves mix tape recorded off Radio Ceylon on Short Wave, at our neighbour's. 5 inch reels were the staple and these too were not easy to find and expensive to buy. Unless a label from a geography featuring a large Indian diaspora, released Indian music on reel tape, it is almost certain that there weren't any releases in India. Its hard to believe but most folk in India, in the 70s avoided buying LPs even, they used to stick with 45 rpm singles - you'd get just the hit song on side-a with a bonus track on side-b. The concept of double-a sides was not known of, in India.

also please check out the releases from Opus 3.

If you are looking for new tapes and if you have a ear for Western Classical music, this may interest you. The website claims that they are recorded from original masters.
Thanks for the references. Unfortunately, my Technics 1500 does not have IEC EQ at 15ips (should have gone for model 1520!). Most of the newer material on 2-track, 15ips is recorded with IEC equalization. I have quite a few used, pre-recorded 71/2 ips reels from 1960s and they sound stunning.

Send you a PM
Can you please share me the details as well? I just got 2 Akai (215D and 220), they work but not used for almost 20 years! Thinking of servicing them.
I'm based in Pune but don't mind coming to Mumbai to get them serviced :)

Anyone here who enjoys the sound of reel-to-reel recorders? My dad was a longtime enthusiast, and I sort of inherited it from him. We've had several machines over the years, my current one being a very nice mid-70s model, Akai GX-215D, with the long-lasting glass-crystal ferrite head.

Most of my dad's tapes contain live recordings of Carnatic classical from the 60s and 70s, but there are a few taped from LPs which sound pretty phenomenal, and have lasted quite well.

Would be nice to know like-minded folks.
Revox b 77 is best reel to reel

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back