Refex Pro Acoustcs -Chennai

I've heard of cases where this was deemed as unfair post the transaction even though the consumer obliged to pay. Not providing a fair option to customer is sue-able regardless of whether customer accepts or not. But I am no expert and a lawyer will be the best advisor.

Regards

Every marantz range series product is guaranteed warranty for 3 years and their premium range for 5 years.. as per their worldwide websites..further, i ofcoarse have the warranty card, which clearly states warranty for 3 years , so no issues as regards warranty.

I am just happy, that my life will be normal again and have no intention of going to consumer court, thats for sure.. money in now paid and i just want my receiver to come back home and life can go on.

Why i agreed is because i have no choice... the SR8001 unit is/was an expensive one, it was giving trouble, so my choice was to pay the 18k and cover my initial investment and get a good working piece OR, getting the old one back and it becoming an eventual dead investment.

Also, logistics is a big problem, sending from amritsar to chennai is no easy task, it took me no less than 4 hours just to pack it and then blue dart would not accept it.. they said they want a bill and i said, i am not selling but merely sending for repair, in the end.. they did not take it.. finally i went to gati, they too had initial problems but eventually agreed to transport it.

So, its best, i just get a new one and life can carry on in peace...

I accepted what Refex acoustics offered to me because my only recoarse was to contact marantz direct and after many mails i found that noone from their side even bothered to send me a single reply.. hence i was alone and totally on my own.

Under the circumstances i am happy, that things are moving in an overall right direction, as opposite to this meant that my entire money would have gone to a waste.

Having said all of the above, I think marantz warranty meant that they would repair the item and send it back.. nowhere does it mention replacement, so if they are giving me a brand new piece, with a brand new warranty to cover three more years, that is certainly worth paying for... how much i need to pay for that is a matter of personal opinion, but under the circumstances and considering what the flip side could be, i am satisfied, provided of coarse, they send me the new piece brand new untouched mint condition, with full warranty.

I feel the way things are going now, ie me having to pay and getting a brand new upgraded model, is worth paying a little extra for.

Best wishes,
samir.

Out of my above experience, the worst thing noted by me is that ...

Marantz the company is not easy to contact and if one contacts on their website they do not bother to reply... not even if you repeatedly try to contact them.

Hence while i love marantz products, i would have to say, that if you buy marantz, you are not at the mercy of marantz itself but its dealers here...basically , you are not buying marantz , but more like a product of dealer here and you are completely at local dealers mercy... which i think is not a good thing as under no circumstances should a company let its name and reputation be handled by someone now directly associated with it, as there is obviously a conflict of interest.

Marantz website claims that buying a marantz is an investment.. i am not too sure about that presently, maybe with time, i will forget all this and start to love marantz once again.

even if there have been cases where transactions have been adjudged to be unfair after the consumer has accepted it, that may not be of much use ...particularly in this case, where the damaged piece was 1.5 years old, and he is getting a new and upgraded model. In these circumstances, it would be virtually impossible to establish that there was an unfair practice or a deficiency in service.....it would just be a waste of time and money.

What the court will ask is that "why did you agree for a paid upgrade when you were entitled to a free repair?" and i don't think there's a convincing answer here to show that samir was cheated or misled or unfairly treated in any way.

i can of course consult my wife who has done some consumer protection work, but i doubt her views will be any different.

The question of whether estoppel applies in consumer matters of course, is an interesting legal point that i don't have the time to research on. :)

I've heard of cases where this was deemed as unfair post the transaction even though the consumer obliged to pay. Not providing a fair option to customer is sue-able regardless of whether customer accepts or not. But I am no expert and a lawyer will be the best advisor.

Regards

oh yes i was chatting with a dealer in Bangalore who has stopped stocking Marantz because their distributor was so unresponsive, he was actually considering pursuing litigation against the dealer. So with Marantz certainly....buyer beware!

Out of my above experience, the worst thing noted by me is that ...

Marantz the company is not easy to contact and if one contacts on their website they do not bother to reply... not even if you repeatedly try to contact them.

Hence while i love marantz products, i would have to say, that if you buy marantz, you are not at the mercy of marantz itself but its dealers here...basically , you are not buying marantz , but more like a product of dealer here and you are completely at local dealers mercy... which i think is not a good thing as under no circumstances should a company let its name and reputation be handled by someone now directly associated with it, as there is obviously a conflict of interest.

Marantz website claims that buying a marantz is an investment.. i am not too sure about that presently, maybe with time, i will forget all this and start to love marantz once again.

Dear Samirarora,
It is disturbing to know that after spending thousands of rupees on a reputed company productand that too from a reputed dealer you are ending up with a
substandard product. You must be aware that you have purchased the product with proper bills and if you approach consumer court for defective after sales service against Refex Proacoustics they will come and fall on your feet. Ofcourse you have to fight hard for your rights. You are bound to win.

Raslibi.

Last edited:
8 days are up... another 12 days or so left and i will finally have my system up and running again.. looking forward.... cannot wait... its been 2 months since there was music playing in my house.

Sincerely hope that all goes well..

I'm surprised that they are honoring the international 3-year warranty. a marantz receiver i purchased from cinebells also turned out to be defective. but they are not giving any warranty beyond one year, and are not replacing my amplifier. they suggested that i sell it to a friend.

At the time of purchasing, i had insisted that i want a 3 year warranty, and they gave it to me in writing, and hence i got it.

All the same, you should get in touch with marantz, they claim their 3 year warranty is worldwide, and if cinebells is not giving it to you, its against what marantz claims as a company and hence a fraud being committed.

If marantz says they give a 3 year international warranty, i dont see who cinebells are to refuse it.. but its upto you to fight the case.
you will win, if you fight hard enough.

Best wishes,
samir.

hi samir,

good to hear that the matter has ended well.

here, where i live, marantz is very popular, but not one of us buys from a dealer india - they are sourced from dubai in west asia - as for warranty we do not bother because we have a tech person here who fixes things (worked for marantz in dubai) - recently fixed a Harmon Kardon receiver which had blown transistors (and which was under warranty) -

like you said - shipping the defective unit 3000 kms. is no small thing!

and finally - you are definitely an audiophile for all intent and purposes:)

I'm surprised that they are honoring the international 3-year warranty. a marantz receiver i purchased from cinebells also turned out to be defective. but they are not giving any warranty beyond one year, and are not replacing my amplifier. they suggested that i sell it to a friend.

But will he still remain a friend after you sell a defective piece to him?:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back